Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:01:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690796
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave - Rules  (Read 394282 times)

Offline EvilGod

• Student
Re: Frostgrave - Rules
« Reply #1710 on: February 06, 2021, 10:55:20 PM »
My friends and I are getting ready for our first games of FG2, as soon as the lockdown is lifted in our neck of the woods.

Currently we are picking our spells and are trying to understand the interactions of the different Summon and Control spells.
Control is clear for us (also thanks for the FAQ) but we are unsure which creatures are Controlled after they are summoned:
Summon Demon explicitly mentions that the demon is considered to be under the effect of the Control Demon spell.
Raise Zombie does not mention the Control Undead spell but adds the zombie as a temporary member.
Animal Companion and Animate Construct also do not reference the corresponding Control spells but adds the creatures as permanent members.
Illusionary Soldier also adds it as a temporary member and doesnt even have a corresponding Control spell.

So this leads us to the following conclusion:
A Necromancer Warband could have one raised zombie and two controlled NPC skeletons. Dispel could cancel the Control of the skeletons but not of the zombie.
A Witch Warband could have two Animal Companians and two controlled NPC animals. Dispel could cancel the Control of the NPC animals but not of the companions.
A Summoner Warband could have two controlled demons in total. Those demons could be summoned or NPCs. Dispel can cancel the control of summoned demon or of a NPC demon.
An Illusionary Soldier can not be dispelled because he is summoned and also its Control cannot be dispelled.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:46:11 PM by EvilGod »

Offline Gardensnake

• Bookworm
« Reply #1711 on: February 08, 2021, 12:07:11 AM »
A  question for the group? How do you reconcile treasure from the supplement books with using the black market rules?

Thanks

Until such time as Congress stops being a ridiculous farce, comedy is utterly acceptable at their hearings.
Sean Patrick Fannon

Offline Troll Player Fun

• Student
    • Frostgrave Pinterest Board
« Reply #1712 on: February 10, 2021, 07:57:57 AM »
Hi, wanted to ask a few questions about the 2nd Edition Rules, but first I wanted to say Thank You to everyone that had a hand in producing this game. Thank you for making the first edition rules available for Free download back when the world wide quarantine at home began. That act of kindness provided me with a delightful diversion to escape everything going on.

To everyone that worked on Frostgrave; Mr. McCullough, all the artists, editors, photographer, modelers, sculptors, painters, model makers, publisher, printers, book binders, packers, and all laborers that helped get this book in my hands; Thank you. You have all made my world a much brighter and bigger place.

These questions need clarification. In my local gaming community a majority players here in local shops have a tendency to focus more on The Letter of the Rules RATHER than the Spirit of the Game unfortunately.

Not all players are like this, but most of the younger generations can be overly competitive due to poor mentoring by older players. Many sadly are obsessed with winning at all costs. "If the rules do not say I can't do it" ... THAT GUY types....

So these are pressing issues which have arisen in ruinous debates here on the Northwest Coast.

First: is there an FAQ and Errata posted anywhere other than what is currently available for download on the Osprey Publishing website ?

Second: are there going to be ongoing supplement releases planned and released beyond The Red King, as we have read that the original author has now left Osprey Publishing ?

Third: the Summoner Plane Walk Spell states that it is a SELF ONLY spell however through out that spell's description the text repeatedly uses the term "THEY" does this refer to the caster any other models the caster has group activated ?

Fourth: What size "in terms of inches" is the Explosive Glowing Rune of Power Marker?
Is it 1 inch diameter ?
Is it 2 inches in diameter ?
Is it half an inch in diameter?
What is the legit legal base size that this rune marker may be ?

Fifth: Same question as the fourth question dealing with the Wizard's Eye token ? How big can that Eye be ? Can it be as large as "The Great Eye of Sauron" or a much smaller human sized eyeball ?  Again, we need some definitive clarification to the official dimension size of markers and tokens here as they apply to all spells which use them.

Sixth: How many Apothecaries are allowed to be in any one player's Warband ?

Seventh: The Wizard and the Wizard's Apprentice each can Summon a Demon, each can have an Animal Companion Bear "Possessed", and both may  Animate a construct, but only 1 caster may raise a single Zombie; So 7 free models are allowed within the Warband here so far; is this viably legit, legal and correct ???

One player in my group argues that this interpretation makes sense because her Wizard is teaching the Apprentice how to summon and control these creatures, and the spells are now in her list, so her apprentice can absolutely and feasibly have access to these coin free models too ....

She assembles this motely crew and then plays them along with a total of THREE Apothecaries. She then uses those Apothecaries with their healing potions to empower her most crucial spells -OR- runs that monstrous motely crew with free thieves for absolutely no coin spent on a Warband. The rest of us feel like this is a horribly abusive and nasty intelligently creative tactic (only because she is cute).

Eighth: How many active wall spells are allowed to be on the table at any given time? One of our players likes casting a whole row of these walls in his war party's wake as an Olympic field and track event style obstacle course because every time an opposing model crosses one wall that model incurs 4 points of falling damage for every wall crossed.

So my group definitely wants to know if this stuff has been addressed RECENTLY as our collective Google Foo has not been able to uncover and locate a more recent updated ERRATA AND FAQ.

Thanks for an interesting experience, sorry if we seem to have collectively broken Frostgrave. We hope more releases are coming and that the game is not allowed to fade away.

Look forward to reading your replies and answers.

Happy New Year everyone.

Remember to wash your hands.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 10:20:08 AM by Troll Player Fun »
Frostgrave Pinterest board: https://www.pinterest.com/trollplayerfun/

Offline marcnelsonjr

• Assistant
« Reply #1713 on: February 13, 2021, 07:13:24 PM »
A  question for the group? How do you reconcile treasure from the supplement books with using the black market rules?

Thanks

We use a modified form of the black market rules.

I roll 20 times on a treasure generator (the regular treasure table modified to eliminate the gold-only results) to generate a communal market after each game. So we might have 6 potions, 3 scrolls, 0 weapons, 5 items, and 6 grimoires up for sale. Then each slot is randomly filled from a list that contains everything from the base game and supplements, minus anything scenario-specific (i.e. Golem Notes or Amulet of Constancy).

It sounds complicated, but it's mostly automated from a spreadsheet. All I have to do is reload the treasure generator and then click the correct number of drop-down boxes on the market sheet.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 08:00:47 PM by marcnelsonjr »

Offline EvilGod

• Student
« Reply #1714 on: February 14, 2021, 09:54:52 AM »
Hi, wanted to ask a few questions about the 2nd Edition Rules...

Hy
I think i can help you with some of your questions:

First: Dont know.

Second: I am pretty sure there will be FG2 Supplements. Check out Joe's Blog for some sneak peeks. http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.com/

Third: I am 100% sure THEY is used as the genderless singular pronoun in this spell.

Fourth: We use 25mm = 1 inch bases for the tokens. I think there was a similar question in first edition here in the forum. Cant remember if it got a final answer.

Fifth: Same. Can't be bigger than the wall you stick it to though.

Sixth: eight, Apothecaries being Standard Soldiers.

Seventh: I asked a similar question. I can tell you one thing though: the Construct and Animal Companion replaces a soldier and is not in addition two your eight Soldiers.
And as long as the Spell says "Spellcaster" and not "Wizard" then the Apprentice can cast it as well. Even the Zombie can be raised be either the Wizard or the Apprenitce, but only one Zombie in the Warband in total can be raised (at the same time).

Eight: Wall is currently unlimited and we find it very powerful. More powerful than killing an enemy soldier? Maybe, if you ask Owen, the Cooler. ;)
But dont forget that you can climb DOWN a wall too. So 6 inch to climb up the wall, half inch to climb down a quarter of an inch on the other side. Drop down the remaining 2 3/4 inches for a total move of 9 1/4 inches and no damage because you fell less than 3. You dont even have to have the full distance remaining. As long as you can spend a little movement climbing down you will end up with no movement remaing and no falling damage on the otherside of the wall. Talk with your group beforehand what this minimum amount should be.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #1715 on: February 19, 2021, 09:27:09 PM »
To add what EvilGod said:

1. Check this thread: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=84340.0 I'm not sure if this one was updated more regularly than the Osprey site. Just remember it's (mainly) aimed at 1e.

2. Joe has said on Facebook that he's still working on FG with Osprey.

4 & 5. There is no 'definitive' size, as these things were left open so people could model them as they see fit. If you think you will have players that will try to abuse that then you'll need to house-rule it (the 25mm sounds sensible) or just not play them.

8. Climb up the wall, but not over the top, then they can't see you to shoot. Remember, you can cling to a surface at any height, you don't need to climb all the way on one go, and the Wall spell is as climbable as any regular wall.

If you have someone that insists on spamming summoning rather than have troops of their own, just take a few Dispel/Control spells. Nothing more satisfying than taking over an opponent's model just as their about to walk off the board with the treasure. ;)

Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #1716 on: February 19, 2021, 09:31:33 PM »

At the moment we've not, we just says that the black market can only get hold of the 'common' items (the rulebook) rather than the rarer ones (the supplements).

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1717 on: February 20, 2021, 10:30:49 AM »
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I've never actually played the game, despite owning the 1st edition for several years. But it looks like 2nd edition might become something of a thing in my gaming group, if we ever meet up again.

It seems that the stuff from the old supplements generally hasn't been made obsolete by the new edition (bravo to that! Something other games manufacturers might want to bear in mind once in a while). Just wanted to make sure: Is there any reason that I'm missing why you can't use the Captain rules from the Frostgrave Folio with 2nd edition? As I said, I haven't actually ever played the game so there might be something obvious I'm not seeing.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #1718 on: February 20, 2021, 04:45:20 PM »
Nope, the Captain is even listed in the 'Supplements' section of the rulebook.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1719 on: February 20, 2021, 06:15:26 PM »
Thanks. Yes, I feel a proper fool for asking before I had fully checked out the rules (only got the book yesterday). A short while after posting I discovered the section you mentioned. :)

Offline Troll Player Fun

• Student
    • Frostgrave Pinterest Board
« Reply #1720 on: February 22, 2021, 09:01:29 PM »
Darkson71 and EvilGod thanks for taking time to respond. Much appreciated. It's a funny thing here in SW Washington and Portland Oregon with the local players; some like to hang out have a few laughs and enjoy each others conversation, the younger folks can sometimes be a little more overly aggressive and competitive. I think in my house the rule will be 25mm on markers and tokens.

Offline Gardensnake

• Bookworm
« Reply #1721 on: May 10, 2021, 01:47:27 AM »
Can a wall be cast atop another wall that was the result of a spell creating a 6" high wall? If so, what happens if the bottom wall dissipates or is dispelled?

Thanks

William

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #1722 on: May 10, 2021, 08:38:25 PM »
1. RAW yes (as long as some of the top wall still follows the restrictions for distance and LoS).

2. No idea! As it's a magic wall I'm ok with it hanging there in mid-air (especially if there just happens to be a/some models clinging to it ;) ).

Offline JamWarrior

• Librarian
« Reply #1723 on: August 11, 2021, 10:48:13 AM »
Can you cast enchant weapon on an already magic weapon from the treasure tables? E.g. someone has a +1 damage sword.  Can it be enchanted to be both +1 fight and +1 damage?

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #1724 on: August 11, 2021, 01:24:04 PM »
From the FAQ:

Enchant Armour – A figure must be wearing armour for it to be enchanted. Magic armour may not be enchanted.

Enchant Weapon – A figure must be carrying a weapon for it to be enchanted. Magic weapons may not be enchanted.