Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:15:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Overwatch's Near-Future/Cyberpunk Project Log  (Read 27261 times)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Overwatch's Near-Future/Cyberpunk Project Log
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2015, 01:48:22 PM »
I think Ainsty has a pack of air conditioning units in resin, as well as other stuff along that line.

Offline overwatch

• Assistant
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2015, 02:54:37 PM »
I think Ainsty has a pack of air conditioning units in resin, as well as other stuff along that line.

You're a treasure trove of ideas Cherno, thanks mate! I forgot about Ainsty! I'll have a ferret over there and see what I can pick up.
I had a game of Infinity over the weekend at a local store to show them the ropes and thought I'd crack the scenery out for them thus far. I originally thought no photographs were taken but I was proven wrong.

This is probably just under half of the stuff for a dense 4'x4' table.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:58:40 PM by overwatch »

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »
What's the game mat you are using? Looks great.

Offline overwatch

• Assistant
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »
What's the game mat you are using? Looks great.

The mat was borrowed from the venue as my Games and Gears boards haven't turned up yet. It's a Frontline Gaming F.A.T mat called "Urban Zone", ideally to be used with 10mm-15mm games but it works well enough for 28mm too if you're not fussy about the road lines. :)

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2015, 03:45:44 PM »
Really like your weathering!  Would you mind sharing your techniques or tips for weathering?
ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures
http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

ClearHorizon Salavge - 15mm Miniatures Blog
http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com

Offline overwatch

• Assistant
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2015, 04:01:25 PM »
Really like your weathering!  Would you mind sharing your techniques or tips for weathering?

No worries at all Harold, thank you!

The buildings are typically primed with a cheap dark-grey primer I pick up at a discount store, then a lighter spray primer quickly sprayed over the top in random directions. The whole building is then given a wash with some heavily watered down black matte house paint.

Once that's done I then grab some torn sponge and with a black paint (currently using Vallejo 70862 Black Grey) begin to dab it on the hard edges (building corners, roof, etc) and then with the same paint stick the sponge in the windows and pull down, giving the windows ledges a streaked effect.

With that done I then grab a brush and with "Modelmates Weathering Liquids" (Oil Brown, Mud Brown and Moss Green) I just throw that over areas to give it a bit of different colour - blending any hard stains in to the surrounding area with a wet brush.

Finally when that's all dry I have a pre-mixed solution of isopropyl alcohol & vallejo sienna weathering powder (roughly 15% pigment 85% alcohol), basically give it a good shake and load up a brush with it. As it's alcohol most of the solution just runs in the cracks and pretty much does all the hard work for you.

I've also sourced somewhere for my aircon units, vents and stuff!
http://thesceneuk.com/product-category/building-accessories/vents-and-stuff/

And also currently trying to find a scale picture of the Dropzone Aircon & Ducting set as that might also be a useful set to buy.

Also a useful little hint I've been using, temporary tattoos work great as graffiti. Once it's applied, let it dry and then hit it with a spray varnish (matte ideally) and it goes solid. All of the larger graffiti pieces are done this way. Titanfall tattoos are going on eBay cheap at the moment as are the Watchdog ones.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:03:53 PM by overwatch »

Offline Dangerdaz

• Scientist
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2015, 08:02:15 PM »
Love that last pic..just need the AAR now Mark!  o_o
If only i had peeps round my way to try this sort of thing out.

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2015, 08:21:18 PM »
That's a fantastic board!

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2015, 12:00:08 AM »
Great work, you are really putting out a lot of stuff very quickly!

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2015, 05:14:03 AM »
No worries at all Harold, thank you!

The buildings are typically primed with a cheap dark-grey primer I pick up at a discount store, then a lighter spray primer quickly sprayed over the top in random directions. The whole building is then given a wash with some heavily watered down black matte house paint.

Once that's done I then grab some torn sponge and with a black paint (currently using Vallejo 70862 Black Grey) begin to dab it on the hard edges (building corners, roof, etc) and then with the same paint stick the sponge in the windows and pull down, giving the windows ledges a streaked effect.

With that done I then grab a brush and with "Modelmates Weathering Liquids" (Oil Brown, Mud Brown and Moss Green) I just throw that over areas to give it a bit of different colour - blending any hard stains in to the surrounding area with a wet brush.

Finally when that's all dry I have a pre-mixed solution of isopropyl alcohol & vallejo sienna weathering powder (roughly 15% pigment 85% alcohol), basically give it a good shake and load up a brush with it. As it's alcohol most of the solution just runs in the cracks and pretty much does all the hard work for you.

I've also sourced somewhere for my aircon units, vents and stuff!
http://thesceneuk.com/product-category/building-accessories/vents-and-stuff/

And also currently trying to find a scale picture of the Dropzone Aircon & Ducting set as that might also be a useful set to buy.

Also a useful little hint I've been using, temporary tattoos work great as graffiti. Once it's applied, let it dry and then hit it with a spray varnish (matte ideally) and it goes solid. All of the larger graffiti pieces are done this way. Titanfall tattoos are going on eBay cheap at the moment as are the Watchdog ones.

Wonderful! Thank you for the great tips!! Now I have to find a bunch of temporary tattoos...

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2015, 10:48:01 AM »
Just remembered Pardulon...they have some fantastic accessories and stuff to add to buildings to get that extra 3d element and make a bit more realistic.

http://pardulon-models.com/en/
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline overwatch

• Assistant
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2015, 10:19:14 AM »
Phew!

So it's been awhile since I've had chance to update this thread! Real life can be a cruel mistress at times as I'm currently in the process of moving house. Come the weekend I should have a swanky new pad and can get back to hitting the brushes properly!

I've managed to grab a picture taken by the guys at Wargames Illustrated of my City Board at a recent event to show how things have progressed so far on the general atmosphere of the table. :)

And then 2 other slightly older pictures of the board before the fans, vents and my plastic Games & Gears urban battle board arrived.

So as above, once the move has been completed and things are back to some form of normality I'll begin updating this thread with better images of all the buildings as well as the numerous new ones that I have acquired in my absence!  :D

Cheers chaps!

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2015, 12:03:28 PM »
That's a great looking board! :o

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2015, 12:16:49 PM »
Man oh man, this is looking so great! Really moody, gritty and dystopian. Pure win.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2015, 06:09:29 PM »
Great stuff.

Have you moved into Derby?