Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:43:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689751
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 763
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Apache! :: UD 23/10 - starting on the mounted alternates  (Read 33877 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Apache! :: UD 23/10 - starting on the mounted alternates
« on: July 14, 2015, 12:31:49 AM »
At the back of my mind thoughts are bubbling for my winter project.

Despite being brought up on Westerns I have thus far been unable to pin down a project in the genre. I have some half finished 28mm Mesa-like terrain that could be repurposed and rather fancy something with Apaches, either against Mexicans or Texicans (I'm a Boothill fan, I am).

I'm after a fast-play cinematic game with maybe 20 figures in total though the only movie that springs to mind is Chato's Land.  

Can anyone suggest useful historical or movie references that might help me settle on scenarios and from there the forces I might need?

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:02:05 AM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Thoughts for a project please :-)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 08:11:09 AM »
Ulzana's Raid.  :D

Burt Lancaster chasing Apaches who have broken out of the reservation and gone on a raid. Its a great western. Lots to gain inspiration from if you are inclined to do Cavalry patrols, ambushes, homesteads under attack etc.

Maybe a bit late for you as it's set in the 1880s.

Maybe try Texas Rising the recent History chanel TV series. Set against the backdrop of the Texas Revolution after the Alamo, I believe it has some skirmishes with Comanche and deals with the birth of the Texas Rangers. I haven't seen it yet, so have no idea what its like. There is a thread running on it here.

Major Dundee. Charlton Heston and Richard Harris lead an expedition across the Rio Grande into Mexico to track down a renegade Apache and his war party. They tangle with Mexicnas and French as its set against the backdrop of the Maximillian Adventure in the 1860s. One benefit is Senta Berger ;D

Or there is The Searchers which I used for the inspiration for my Comanche Moon project. My favourite Western of all time :)

As to figures Foudry have an excellent range of Apache and Cavalry along with mostly everything you need. Artizan do some Apache and buffalo soldiers as well as the 7th Cavalry.
Galloping Major has produced some lovely cavalry for the Apache wars and started on the Apaches, but neither have mounted figures yet.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:26:15 AM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 08:41:33 AM »
You're the man!  8)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 08:48:11 AM »
You're the man!  8)

lol

I'm quite excited by your sudden interest in the Old West. :D

I have a sizeable collection (including the Plains and Apache Wars, not just the Tex/Mex thing) if you feel the urge to have a game to get your creative juices flowing ;)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »
It's not sudden, as I mentioned I was brought up on Wild West movies as my parents are big fans (my first cinema attendance being as a babe in arms!). A lot of my favourite sci-fi is - in the style of John Carpenter - just the Wild West reimagined.

All that said, I am much more interested in the Native American perspective, which is why revisionist westerns like Chato's Land (and now you remind me, the excellent Ulzana's Raid), though I'm also very partial to right-versus-might storylines such as the magnificent Magnificent Seven (and I particularly enjoyed Deadwood for Timothy Olyphant's portrayal). What all these words mean is that I've wanted to do something different to the Wild West 'gunfight' game but not been sure what or how.  The 15mm sci-fi project I'm working on was a bit of a 'light bulb' moment as its settlement was to extent inspired by my recollection of Chato's home and, now you remind me, being built into the hillside is somewhat reminiscent of the farmstead in Ulzana's Raid.

Thanks for the offer to get my juices flowing, which I'd love to take you up on.   :D

I've got a lot of minis to paint between now and BLAM but thinking about this project is an interesting digression and I shall probably start buying the minis in a couple of months.

;) :D

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 09:26:24 AM »
I have been collecting & painting bison for a buffaloe hunt game. I have also been working on a scenario where an Apache band raids through a fight between Mexicans & U.S. troops.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 10:13:21 AM »
I have been collecting & painting bison for a buffaloe hunt game. I have also been working on a scenario where an Apache band raids through a fight between Mexicans & U.S. troops.

Great stuff. :)

Which reminds me I have some buffalo to paint... lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 10:45:02 AM »
*cough*   Boer War...

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 11:07:26 AM »
*cough*   Boer War...

No doubt that is the
half finished 28mm Mesa-like terrain
he is talking about.

lol

butterfly* ;)

Cheers
Matt

*like I can talk..

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 11:11:03 AM »
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Steve.
 8) 8)

Mama's ideas sound pretty cool (but don't tell him that I said that.... ;)).

Which reminds me I have some buffalo to paint... lol

So do I.
You can do mine at the same time if you want.
 :D

Offline Goliad

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 11:12:02 AM »
Early War Miniatures has a range of O scale Plains Indian - Sioux, Crow, Pawnee, Cheyenne plus Cavalry and extras.

http://earlywarminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=394

The online site only lists the Sioux codes but if you send them a note they'll send you a complete list of the others. I have just got the list and debating 28mm or O scale. The Early War range looks fairly complete too - buffalo, dog travois, pony herd ...

@HerbyF What rules will you use for buffalo hunting?

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions - much appreciated.

*cough*   Boer War...

Is kind of like the West really  lol. (and yes, Matt!)  

The Boer War isn't forgotten, it's just delayed  ;). Much like Wars of the Roses.  Still got a ton of figures to do just awaiting the genre-specific mojo.

Ah, Major Dundee. A Sam P classic.  

So, I'm thinking about roughly 1865-1875, definitely Apaches, definitely raids and pursuits. Sadly, this seems to rule out quite a few of the Boothill range as being 1830s (?) though I could perhaps do some weapons compromises or upgrades?  I like the Artizan range of Apache (they have the look I am after) and also Galloping Major. Does anyone mix these ranges (any comparison shots?).  Regarding cavalry and civilians, I see that the Galloping Major cavalry are designed for 1880 but does anyone know about the timespan of the Artizan?

Thanks all!

Edit: Forgot to say that I appreciate the Foundry tip but have parked them as being (possibly) too small to mix and having a pack mix that doesn't particularly appeal (not really interested in the bows).

Edit: ..... definitely raids and pursuits...... Change that to: definitely raids, pursuits and revenge  ;)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 12:07:44 PM by Silent Invader »

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 11:54:22 AM »
Valdez.  :D

To be honest, Malamutes ideas are probably more appropriate.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »
Oh yes, Valdez. Certainly meets the Right Vs Might angle. A great suggestion. Might be able to work in some Apache!

To be honest, Malamutes ideas are probably more appropriate.

He's a wee genius  :D

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 12:11:16 PM »
Regarding cavalry and civilians, I see that the Galloping Major cavalry are designed for 1880 but does anyone know about the timespan of the Artizan?

Artizan are designed for the mid 1870's, around the time of the Little Bighorn. There is a pack with the earlier Spencer(?) carbine but the majority are armed with the Springfield.