Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:20:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686597
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: bottled demon question  (Read 2179 times)

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
bottled demon question
« on: October 22, 2015, 06:35:57 PM »
Hi all,
For my first ever post on Lead Adventure, I have a question about Demon in a Bottle.  The FAQ sheet says that Demons from bottles count as being bound to the entire warband, not to the individual spellcaster who popped the cork on the potion, so they do not count against the "one bound demon per spellcaster" limitation.  But, is there a limit on how many demons can be bound to the warband?  Specifically, could my wizard (witch, actually) and her apprentice each equip a Dinab potion and use them to bring two demons into play that are bound to the warband, or is there also a "one bound demon per warband" limitation?
Thanks,
rags

Offline djicelatte

• Student
Re: bottled demon question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 05:35:02 PM »
my understanding is everyone could have the potion and for the cost of X amount of gold or quite a few games of brew potion and saving the potions you could have 10 demons running around

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 06:21:50 PM »
And that would be a sight to behold...11 demons (we're staying at the Inn) capering around the table.  And, since I once ran a Chaos Army in WFB, I have more than enough demons to do it.  Seems a little like a rules exploit, though...and a lot of games spent brewing the potions or spending the gold.  Thanks for the reply!   
:)  rags

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 11:13:42 AM »
Theoretically possible, but not particularly sportsmanlike!
I'd suggest one bottled demon per warband, in addition to bound demons.

Offline Denizen Kane

• Librarian
  • French Army? What,s that?
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 04:14:42 PM »
Firstly that Demon in a bottle trick is a valid tactic. BUT I think the advantage one may get for using it is mitigated by the expense of having to buy and or wait till you manage to brew enough potions for it to be a HUGE advantage. It makes the Witch better and balances the fact that the witch cant throw +8 shooting attacks every turn. Not to mention that if anyone can buy that potion then who really has the advantage?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:18:48 PM by Denizen Kane »
The world is changing so fast and we,re just trying to catch up...

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 05:07:50 PM »
Firstly that Demon in a bottle trick is a valid tactic. BUT I think the advantage one may get for using it is mitigated by the expense of having to buy and or wait till you manage to brew enough potions for it to be a HUGE advantage. It makes the Witch better and balances the fact that the witch cant throw +8 shooting attacks every turn. Not to mention that if anyone can buy that potion then who really has the advantage?

Good points, all.  I was really just amused by the notion of all those scampering demons, I have no plans to try that gambit.  But, since my witch is neither an actual summoner nor a great offensive threat, it does help that she and her apprentice can brew up a demon now and again for a bit of extra punch.

Theoretically possible, but not particularly sportsmanlike!
I'd suggest one bottled demon per warband, in addition to bound demons.

As I said, I would consider it a rules exploit, at least if one were to use it to gain an unfair advantage.  But, consider this possibility -- what if you were up against a warband that had you badly outclassed?  Much higher level wizard, more magic items, better soldiers...there's quite a bit of discussion about this issue elsewhere on the board.  Would it be unsporting to take two or three Dinab potions out of your vault and pass them around in that situation, where you would be redressing a gross imbalance, rather than creating one?  Obviously, it's a subjective call, but I could foresee situations where having a few demon potions stockpiled could actually help alleviate unsportsmanlike situations, where one side is a big underdog.
rags
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 06:02:52 PM by ragsthetiger »

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 07:15:33 PM »
That's a very good point!
Eyebrows might be raised if every member of one's band suddenly dropped a demon bottle, but two or three used to redress the balance against a higher level opponent would be much more acceptable I reckon.
Hmmm... Got me thinking now...  :D

Offline Skipper

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 05:34:22 PM »
Due to the cost,  you are more likely to see the higher level war band carrying the "Demon in a Bottle" in multiples. 

Suddenly the strong war band just got stronger.  So much for a balancing act.

Skipper
Skipper

"No challenge is too small.......or too large!"

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 09:49:37 PM »
Due to the cost,  you are more likely to see the higher level war band carrying the "Demon in a Bottle" in multiples.
True dat, if you're buying your potions.  My witch and her apprentice brewed up a couple in their very first scenario, though, and it made them quite a bit tougher than the average Level 0 warband.  Later on, the effect is likely to be less pronounced than early in a campaign, of course.
rags