Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:32:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691337
  • Total Topics: 118387
  • Online Today: 628
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sneaky peak holt 15 ton gun tractor(first casting added)  (Read 18926 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Sneaky peak holt 15 ton gun tractor
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 06:43:15 AM »
I'll be giving it a go- I'm just so inspired by what you've achieved. I think I'll be starting small though as I reckon it will be a steep learning curve to begin with.

How did you find it in that regard?

Darrell.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 10:04:58 AM »
If you look at the tri motor aeroplane tutorial and my workbench topic(there's a few card models on there,I'll add a few more pictures today)as well it covers most of the basic principles and pit falls. Also the airship topic as the gonadal is also card. They should give you some more ideas.
If you get stuck PM me and I'll try and problem solve and post on my dusty workbench topic,or email you directly. Just work on the principle that it can be done and don't listen to anyone who says it can't.
Mark.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »
If you look at the tri motor aeroplane tutorial and my workbench topic(there's a few card models on there,I'll add a few more pictures today)as well it covers most of the basic principles and pit falls. Also the airship topic as the gonadal is also card. They should give you some more ideas.
If you get stuck PM me and I'll try and problem solve and post on my dusty workbench topic,or email you directly. Just work on the principle that it can be done and don't listen to anyone who says it can't.
Mark.

Thanks you Mark....  8)

I'm still trying to think of something very simple just to get to grips with the basic materials.... something for the Sudan, Indian Mutiny or NWF?

Darrell.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Sneaky peak holt 15 ton gun tractor(first casting added)
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 02:56:17 PM »
This is literally the first casting ,Simon and Mick dropped it off yesterday.I haven't even finish cleaning it for painting .

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 04:14:36 PM »
That worked out nice! 8)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 05:51:27 AM »
Wow! Pretty damn good!!  :-* :-* :-*

Look forward to seeing it painted up and on the table top  8)

Darrell.

Offline Beast of Bukhara

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 09:40:32 AM »
Oh yes ! :o

Looking forward to seeing that  :-*

Here is a little inspiration ;)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:43:20 AM by Beast of Bukhara »

Offline Over Open Sights

• Scientist
    • Over Open Sights
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 05:24:33 PM »
I second the sentiments of The Beast.

Military Miniatures Painted by Over Open Sights.
http://over-open-sights.blogspot.com/

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 01:05:03 AM »
Bit nice that!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Sneaky peak holt 15 ton gun tractor(first casting painted)
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2015, 04:17:22 PM »
Alright you twisted my arm.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 06:11:41 PM »
Excellent!!  :-* :-* :-*

A credit to any (Late?) WWI Gaming Table.

Darrell.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 06:35:21 PM »
Glad you like it
As for when on the western front(British service) mid 1915 onwards.This is literally in service with both sides at the same time,and on most fronts.the French used it ,the Austro Hungarians had a licence to manufacture it ( the  wonderful duplicity of the period ;D )and supplied the Germans .who in turn used it as the basis of the A7v project .
It's also useful for the interwar ,as it remained in service with the British well into the late 20's.inturn heading East when they were sold off.They also returned to agricultre and some were still working the land in the 40's,so VBCW is an option.
The only thing I'd did to the casting was to remove the thin resin in the tracks to open up the gap between the wheels,and behind the radiator,none of which is needed (I had to stop myself from getting carried away and removing it from all the wheels and front wheel)as it's designed to be left in of taken out if you choose too ,either doesn't detract from the look.
The only thing removed from the metal parts is the casting points and in the case of the figures their bases.(you don't need to but it's going in my collection so I did  :D)
There is an advantage to removing the bases as both figures have been sculpted to work as both driver and mate.ive included a little height in the soles of the shoes to allow for a simple knife cut to remove the bases rather than sanding .
I've also allowed an extra scale foot in height in the roof supports so you can see the engine and crew a little better.but you can remove upto 5mm off the supports to vary the height of the roof,The tall radiator variant was used rather than the square to keep the visual perspective with the slightly heightened roof.(it is a real radiator varriant believe me there are a lot ) and still work if you choose to reduce the roof height(that took some doing).in addition the choice of the narrow road wheel rather than a wider version again to tie in with the earlier feature.
The crew are in a non uniform with an oiled cloth engineers cap so you can use them with out converting them for all forces simply by painting the cap dark brown or black.(although I chose khaki ) the one shouting has a wrist watch although early not implausible ,and a leather jerkin,which can also be painted as a Donkey jacket  by painting the arms the same colour.as the shoulder are subtlety marked,also the trousers are straight legged rather than putties .
The other is in a jumper and turned up sleeves he does have putties ,he also has a rag in his rear pocket and a pocket knife hanging from his belt.
It can also be built without the roof ,and there's no visible marks to suggest that there should be a roof.so no filling required.The steering column will be provided as a length of brass (not shown in the unmade picture)I used florists wire simply because I forgot the brass was for the tractor and used it to pin something else :D
Mark.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 12:57:22 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 03:17:47 AM »
Wow!

Are these commercially available? I have a friend who's been building 28mm big guns for WW1, and I have been drawn to the work... and maybe even inspired.

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2015, 06:55:44 AM »
As for when on the western front(British service) mid 1915 onwards.This is literally in service with both sides at the same time,and on most fronts.the French used it ,the Austro Hungarians had a licence to manufacture it ( the  wonderful duplicity of the period ;D )and supplied the Germans .who in turn used it as the basis of the A7v project .
It's also useful for the interwar ,as it remained in service with the British well into the late 20's.inturn heading East when they were sold off.They also returned to agricultre and some were still working the land in the 40's,so VBCW is an option.
The only thing I'd did to the casting was to remove the thin resin in the tracks to open up the gap between the wheels,and behind the radiator,none of which is needed (I had to stop myself from getting carried away and removing it from all the wheels and front wheel)as it's designed to be left in of taken out if you choose too ,either doesn't detract from the look.
The only thing removed from the metal parts is the casting points and in the case of the figures their bases.(you don't need to but it's going in my collection so I did  :D)
There is an advantage to removing the bases as both figures have been sculpted to work as both driver and mate.ive included a little height in the soles of the shoes to allow for a simple knife cut to remove the bases rather than sanding .
I've also allowed an extra scale foot in height in the roof supports so you can see the engine and crew a little better.but you can remove upto 5mm off the supports to vary the height of the roof,The tall radiator variant was used rather than the square to keep the visual perspective with the slightly heightened roof.(it is a real radiator varriant believe me there are a lot ) and still work if you choose to reduce the roof height(that took some doing).in addition the choice of the narrow road wheel rather than a wider version again to tie in with the earlier feature.
The crew are in a non uniform with an oiled cloth engineers cap so you can use them with out converting them for all forces simply by painting the cap dark brown or black.(although I chose khaki ) the one shouting has a wrist watch although early not implausible ,and a leather jerkin,which can also be painted as a Donkey jacket  by painting the arms the same colour.as the shoulder are subtlety marked,also the trousers are straight legged rather than putties .
The other is in a jumper and turned up sleeves he does have putties ,he also has a rag in his rear pocket and a pocket knife hanging from his belt.
It can also be built without the roof ,and there's no visible marks to suggest that there should be a roof.so no filling required.The steering column will be provided as a length of brass (not shown in the unmade picture)I used florists wire simply because I forgot the brass was for the tractor and used it to pin something else :D
Mark.

Wow Mark, that was a bit of an education in itself  8)

Many thanks,
Darrell.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2015, 08:23:39 AM »
Mark, that machine is a thing of beauty - you've excelled yourself!