Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:22:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690640
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The other Frostgrave Spell Cards thread - 10/09: A farewell to cards  (Read 29230 times)

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
Re: The other Frostgrave Spell Cards thread
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 04:15:49 PM »
Smith; as I still do not have the book (Nickstarter still on its way), is it possible to tell me what the modifier for the apprentice is? Does their casting value rise along with the mage's, if said mage levels up? I like the suggestion of adding that value as well, but have to think about how to cram it in.

No problem: apprentices always cast spells with a +2 to the casting number - they're simply not as experienced as their wizard. So, if your Chronomancer spends experience to reduce the difficulty of 'Crumble' from 10 to 9, her apprentice will improve as well, casting it on a 11+, rather than a 12+.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 04:21:55 PM »
Thanks.  :) So an Apprentice casts at the same modifier as an aligned wizard?

Then it might be as simple as creating an apprentice icon to sit next to the aligned icon...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 04:26:32 PM »
Wow! This looks really good!  I'm assuming there isn't enough artwork in the book to do a different background photo for every spell, so would it be the same for every spell or one background for each school or…?

It's very cool that the fans are stepping up to the plate to do this stuff,  but I'm a little surprised that Osprey isn't doing something a bit more professional themselves. They want to be a game company, right?  They should be hiring a Graphic Designer and doing this sort of thing to support their own games.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 04:30:06 PM »
Thanks.  :) So an Apprentice casts at the same modifier as an aligned wizard?

Then it might be as simple as creating an apprentice icon to sit next to the aligned icon...

Yes, but remember that both modifiers would count if an Apprentice was to cast a spell from an aligned school.

Offline Dakota Mike

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 03:03:49 AM »
Very excited to see how the cards turn out.  Any progress updates?

Offline Ddogwood

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 05:03:45 AM »
Wow! This looks really good!  I'm assuming there isn't enough artwork in the book to do a different background photo for every spell, so would it be the same for every spell or one background for each school or…?

It's very cool that the fans are stepping up to the plate to do this stuff,  but I'm a little surprised that Osprey isn't doing something a bit more professional themselves. They want to be a game company, right?  They should be hiring a Graphic Designer and doing this sort of thing to support their own games.

Osprey is actually known for their high production values and solid graphic design.  They've been expanding into games recently, but I wouldn't say that they "want to be a game company" - it seems that their main line is still in producing military history books, with gaming (and fantasy stuff in general) as a sideline.

Offline Runekyndig

• Schoolboy
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 08:38:28 PM »
I love those spellcards - I hope to see a full deck soon

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 11:08:09 PM »
Thanks guys.

As it is, I'm getting very little done as time is scarce (maybe I should take up Chronomancy?), and I was not fully satisfied with some of the textures and especially the logos seemed much too clean on the card. I started with those, but as the concept of the card grew and changed, they did not fit in anymore.

So I redid all of the logos first.

Oh: remember I mentioned a different design for the location of the casting values etc? Well here it is, in all its brightly coloured glory...

Good thing I moved on from there I think...

OK, so then I changed the grunge background into something more akin to the textures in/on the book (which finally arrived last weekend). Also, I've made good headway with the back of the cards, which is almost finished.

But this evening, I managed to finish up the first caster's set: the Chronomancer. These are low-res pictures for showing off here, but the real work has the proper dimensions, DPI and quality of course:

I'm still pondering about what icon to use for the Apprentice; I left room for that in the appropriate side bar, but I'm drawing a blank as to how that particular icon should look. Any ideas?

Also; I will have to see about what format people will be wanting their copies in; JPG,  PSD, PDF?

Offline Timmek

• Lurker
They are soo nice.. really looking forward for the complete Set!

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
I can't see any of those images  :(

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Dakota Mike

• Assistant
Looking good!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Very, very, VERY cool!!
Would be great to print them professionally on poker sized cards, they will be excellent for gaming!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
Second caster is finished. I decided to not bother with a seperate apprentice icon, so I moved the 'Aligned' bar back to the right. I will have to retcon that with the Chronomancer cards, obviously, but the end result flows better, IMHO...

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
These look really good, but I'm not sure they really need the aligned/neutral/opposed casting numbers on them.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
How about a check box next to the aligned, neutral, etc so that you can build your "deck" of spells and use a whiteboard marker to mark which numbers your wizard uses?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:34:58 PM by maxxev »