Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:35:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The other Frostgrave Spell Cards thread - 10/09: A farewell to cards  (Read 29234 times)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Re: The other Frostgrave Spell Cards thread
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »
I'm sorry but to me that sounds like an excuse to be mediocre. They tried to come out with cards and missed an opportunity to do something that could have made them more money and fulfilled a need--which is what business is all about. Maybe a better excuse would be that they are a young game company or that they wanted to wait and see what demand was like before they got into peripherals. Saying "we aren't really a game company, it's just a sideline"  would be a bad marketing stance. In any case, so long as they aren't suing people who make cards for the game I can live with it. Next time maybe they'll consider capitalizing on support products like professionally produced cards. Just my two cents of course, but--look at me--that money that could have gone to Osprey is going to Printers Studio instead!

Osprey is actually known for their high production values and solid graphic design.  They've been expanding into games recently, but I wouldn't say that they "want to be a game company" - it seems that their main line is still in producing military history books, with gaming (and fantasy stuff in general) as a sideline.

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
I can see them now (no idea what was going on before) they are STUNNING!

Have you decided upon a back yet?

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline abelp01

• Librarian
Wow! Beautiful! Also, I can't remember the last time there was so much fan support for a rules set! Between your set and Audrey's set it will really be a slick game to play. I get my Level3 Wizard set tomorrow.

Offline grendal

• Bookworm
do you have a cardback design yet?

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
You have created an excellent design for the cards, but I agree with some of the previously posted critiques.

1.  It appears that the spell descriptions would be very small when actually printed in card size.  The spell description is one of the most important pieces of information to be able to quickly reference, and should not take a backseat to the artwork above.

2.  I also am unsure whether the casting rolls for aligned, neutral, and opposing school should be included, as they can be extrapolated anyway and it just provides more clutter of non-essential information.  Furthermore, the casting rolls may be further modified anyway through experience gains.  It seems that one would still have to reference the character sheet in order to determine the actual casting roles to keep track of character advancements.

I think that the most efficient use of spell cards would be to have a deck for each wizard type, with a base casting roll that innately includes any modifiers for aligned, neutral, or opposing schools, with a box beneath in order for players to input any modifiers gained through leveling.  Of course, this would mean that more cards with slightly different values would need to be created; while this wouldn't be all that difficult, it would require keeping track of more card files.

Taking it a step further then, it may be an even better idea to ignore the base casting rolls altogether, and simply provide a large, white box for players to input the current casting value based upon a combination of wizard type and casting advancements.  So long as the player changes the cards with each advancement, no referencing of the sheet would be necessary in order to cast spells.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Thanks again for the comments, people. :)

@ Philhelm: I can see where your points come from, but following that line of thought, we'd simply end up with the cards that Osprey provides us with (maybe they're not half daft after all, eh ;) ). Audrey prettified those on a much more basic level, so perhaps her cards better suit your needs?

The reason I created this design is to come up with something visually pleasing, that has all the information on it as provided by the Osprey cards, but would also provide some additional useful information, such as an icon for the caster type and spell type. But also the base value of each spell for each caster.

Obviously some math still has to be performed for both the apprentice and for every caster who gains a level. But that will be easier (losing one step in the addition process) with the base values provided.

Also, this gives the cards more the feel of an actual gaming card as opposed to a straight up reference card, which was the look I was going for.

I did a quick print of one of the more wordy cards, and I found it to be perfectly readable, even though admittedly, the font is necessarily small.

Anyway, here's today's crop; the Enchanter cards:

I would like to emphasize once more though, that these pictures are  simple low resolution renditions of the cards; the actual files are too big to post (and host) all.  So if you're hoarding them now, just remember that once they're all done, I will find a way to provide the large files. I still have to think about the format I will be presenting them in for printing, but obviously, I'll be going for the highest possible quality.

Finally, I've finished the card back today as well. This was, oddly enough, the most labour intensive one of the two designs, as it took a lot of time to lift the Frostgrave title from its background, so I could adjust its size and position. In the end, I decided to cut some corners, so it's not perfect, but you'll have to start pixel-counting to really see it. (still: I do, and it's vexing me to no end... ::) )

I simply based the design of the familiar artwork on the front of the book, which is both awesome and instantly recognisable:

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
@ Philhelm: I can see where your points come from, but following that line of thought, we'd simply end up with the cards that Osprey provides us with (maybe they're not half daft after all, eh Wink ). Audrey prettified those on a much more basic level, so perhaps her cards better suit your needs?

The reason I created this design is to come up with something visually pleasing, that has all the information on it as provided by the Osprey cards, but would also provide some additional useful information, such as an icon for the caster type and spell type. But also the base value of each spell for each caster.

They are indeed well made and visually appealing, but I think that the addition of a white box or circle (perhaps in the lower right corner) for players to write the casting modifier gained through leveling would be a good thing.  Then the wizard's spell sheet wouldn't be needed at all except for between games.

My perspective is that spell cards should outright eliminate the need to use the character sheet during the game.

Offline Xintao

• Librarian
    • Xin's Lair
Wow these are absolutely stunning! I cannot wait till they are done.

Xin
Xin

My Blog: Xin's Lair

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Have yo given any through to my suggestion? though I suppose the user could just as easily cross through the values he doesn't need than having a box to tick.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Have yo given any through to my suggestion? though I suppose the user could just as easily cross through the values he doesn't need than having a box to tick.

They are indeed well made and visually appealing, but I think that the addition of a white box or circle (perhaps in the lower right corner) for players to write the casting modifier gained through leveling would be a good thing.  Then the wizard's spell sheet wouldn't be needed at all except for between games.

My perspective is that spell cards should outright eliminate the need to use the character sheet during the game.

Good point, and duly noted. It seems more people are clammoring for a blank area to write down their casting value on, so I will try and find a way to include that blank spot. Which will not be easy, as the card's surface is pretty much 'well used' already.

From various reactions, it is clear that those people who want a blank area to write down the casting value are also not fans of the aligned/neutral/opposed values on the card. So would you be ok with me removing all casting values from the card in favour of said blank space? that would certainly give me enough room to manoeuvre...

That will then probably be a variant set of cards, as I myself am pretty satisfied with the current layout. So I will also continue with the current cards.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
From various reactions, it is clear that those people who want a blank area to write down the casting value are also not fans of the aligned/neutral/opposed values on the card. So would you be ok with me removing all casting values from the card in favour of said blank space?

Why not show the default casting values as a split stat, and then have a space underneath for each player to pen-write either their actual casting number or any further bonuses (from levelling up for example) underneath?

For example: "8/10/12/14 ______ "

Seems the least cluttered, and gives players a bit of choice on how they want to remember their casting value (ie, as a modifier or as a "final value".

My other comment, is that I would reduce or remove the transparency from the text box further. It is still hard to read some of the spell effects on some of the cards!

Otherwise, I have to say that these are looking lovely so far.  8)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Truelly some lovely cards here, dude.

Really looking forward to giving them a try.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Calmdown

• Librarian
  • Wordy
    • Bad Karma
These are amazing. Bravo.
Frostgrave blog and downloads: www.bad-barma.net (click me!)

Hey Frostgrave fans! Click to join us on Facebook!

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
I think an empty space would be better, given that the casting number is going to be changing often, I find the multiple schools cluttering.
Best option in my view would be having the basic casting number displayed, along with a space so users can put in their own casting number, based on school, levels etc.

But these are your cards, so do what you want first and foremost.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Kealios

• Bookworm
    • My wargaming blog
 :o

I SOOOooo cannot wait for these to be finished! Me want!

Have you considered making one card as a reference, with a legend explaining the different symbols? I really want to get these printed up on cards like the ones on the other thread.