Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:12:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Quick questions about Pulp Alley  (Read 10539 times)

Offline gruulgor

• Assistant
Quick questions about Pulp Alley
« on: July 16, 2015, 09:42:02 AM »
Hi,

I plan to run this saturday my first pulp alley game. As I am rereading the rules some questiones have arisen. Hope you can help me :)

Movement

As far as I understand one miniature can run to engage an enemy, but if he does he won't be able to perform another action, so he wouldn't fight. Is that right?

Shooting

How far can I shoot? I know long range is over 24", but does it mean that I can reach the other side of the table if I have LoS?  o_o

If that's true, why would someone not move and shoot as the deafault movement? Isn't 24" a bit too far for long range? (I'm thinking in changin this to 12").

Thanks,

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Quick questions about Pulp Alley
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 09:59:56 AM »
Movement
Check the Brawling chapter. The text at Engage states "In Pulp Alley, brawls occur most commonly in two situations. First, immediately afdter your character rushes an enemy".
So Rushing leads to fistfights! As it should be :)

Shooting
There is no maximum range...but then again, the table is 36" x 36". So most shots will be done within 24" anyway. So far, it hasn't been an issue in any games I played :)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline gruulgor

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
But run says "A character may not run and perform an action in the same turn"  ???

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 10:22:13 AM »
Brawling and shooting aren't actions. See pg14 under Activating : "The selected character will normally have the opportunity to move, perform an action, or attack an enemy."

"Actions" are covered on pg22. :)

Offline gruulgor

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 10:35:15 AM »
Great!!

Another question about line of sight, what's is considered "line of sight"? Do I need to see all the miniature or is it enough with just a small part?

For example, if a building blocks 90% of the miniature and I only see one arm or the leg is enough to have line of sight?

Sorry for all the questions, for me is great, because I can ask you as soon as the question comes to my mind, so .... thanks :)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 11:17:52 AM »
Page 18 describes Line of Sight...and it may be a bit vague if you're coming from a competitive scene. We use the system: do you see ANY part of the model (not counting weapons)...yes? Line of sight! Simple and it works well.

Offline gruulgor

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »
Nah, I'm not a competitve/tournament player. But I wanted to know some system/criteria to avoid future discussions. Your system sound good enough for me  :)

Ok, guys, last questions. If everything goes right I will post a short battle report next week.

Transfer.The rules state that if I try to transfer a plot point to another miniature within 6" and I fail the check, "the plot point may then be picked up as an action by any character-as normal". What does "normal" mean here? That I need to roll again for the plot point or is just enough to pick it with an action?

Perils and extreme perils. How many perilous areas and extreme perilous areas do you use/place in your games?

Thanks a lot :)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 01:28:21 PM »
Failed transfer: just use an action to pick up the item. BUT of course you can add some cool rule the item will ALWAYS be extremely perilous to make it extra fun!

Perils/Extreme Perils: enough to have some impact. So most of the times about 4-5. But it depends on the playing area, the type and size of perilous scenery and the type of game.
What type of game are you aiming for? Jungle? Deserts? A city?

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 05:03:17 PM »
Good questions, and it looks like Malebolgia has it covered.  :D :D  Here are a few other thoughts and clarifications....

Line-of-sight - The way Dad explains it is that the character's base represents the general area they occupied, but not the exact spot or pose they are standing in the entire turn - like a statue. So we assume if you can see any part of the base or model then you can shoot at them.

We also encourage players to state their intent when they are trying to stay out of sight. So if you're intention is to stay back from a corner, just make sure your base is pushed back a bit and let the opponent know your intention.

Movement & Fighting - Yes, it is very important to understand that Fighing is not an action. We use "action" to represent something that takes a bit more time/concentration than firing off a few shots or throwing a few punches.

Shooting Range - Considering the default table size, gobs a terrain, and being restricted to shooting at the closest target, I've found it extremely rare that anyone can even shoot to 24". But if your table, terrain, and whatever if different, then it might be a good idea to adjust it accordingly.

In general, Dad has tried very hard to limit the amount of "modifiers" and I think that placing long range at 24" is his way of limiting it to those truly extreme long range shots.

As Normal - He uses this alot, and it simply means to use the normal rules for that situation. In your example, it simply means you use the normal rules for picking up a plot point. Yes, that means if you drop a plot point then you have to start from the beginning again.  ;) This always bring to mind the scene in Indiana Jones where they are trying to find the jewel/antidote on the dance floor.  lol lol

Perils & Perilous Areas -  This is a tough one to answer, because I think it depends on the scenario, the setting, and the players. Some perilous areas, such as a patch of quicksand are pretty easy for players to walk around. But it becomes a much bigger deal if there's a plot point in the middle of the quicksand.  We usually put 1-3 of those just scattered around.

If we're doing a jungle/wilderness game, then our tree stands count as perilous and block sight. And we put ten or so of those on the table. If we're doing an urban setting, then climbing the buildings counts as perilous - and sometimes the roads count as perilous due to traffic.

Having too many can slow the action down, so if you're just getting started I'd encourage you to go light on the perilous areas until you feel more comfortable with how it's going to work.

Have fun! And feel free to let us know how it goes.  :D :D

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline gruulgor

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 10:28:06 AM »
Perils/Extreme Perils: enough to have some impact. So most of the times about 4-5. But it depends on the playing area, the type and size of perilous scenery and the type of game.
What type of game are you aiming for? Jungle? Deserts? A city?

Hi! Thanks for all the responses :) I think everything is clear now.

My idea is tell a better story than Steven Spielberg did  lol

My league is formed by captain Haddock, Tintin, professor Calculus and Snowy. And I have a lot of jungle scenery and three alien tombs so I think I can mix all this weird stuff and tell Tintin meets the Kingdom of Crystal Skull  lol lol

So, only three scenarios. The first one in the city, the other in the jungle and the last one on the secret valley where the tombs rest.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 11:07:05 AM »
Sounds great fun...post piccies when you are done please

I for my sins am running a six player game of PA on the table below - we will need to limit range and the size of the leagues is going to be curtailed...

cheers

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 05:57:22 PM »
Wow! That's an awesome table! I hope we get to see it in action.  :D :D

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 08:12:34 PM »
Eric, that is a gorgeous set-up. I'll second the request for pics if you're able to record the action.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 10:08:25 PM »
Action will be recorded on Monday night...I'll post Tues or Weds on the Scales of Anubis thread

Offline gruulgor

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 11:16:14 AM »
So, yesterday we played our first pulp alley game and .... I can't remember last time I enjoyed a game so much  :) :) :)

I really like the plot points system, in other games you just have to reach the point or do an automatic and unspiring action. Take Malifaux, for example, I like Malifaux but when I play it it's just "Ok, my blessed of december places a scheme counter".

With Pulp Alley there were a lot a mini-stories around the plot points. Tintin near the dock searching for a encrypted journal and using deductive to help the rest of the crew, prof. Calculus using gagdet x to solve one peril, Snowy fight against a doberman .... it was fun!  :D

My brother (who is a very casual player) told me that he also enjoy the game a lot, he told me something like this "You know, in other games my feelings are that I'm just shooting and fighting, sure I have to take control of some objectives but the action goes around the fight. In this game the action is around the objectives and fighting it's secondary. It's like playing a movie :)".

Today we will play another game and I hope to submit some pictures.

Also, I have a question about challenges. A card says that I have to roll three successes with any skill or take three hits. 1) Can I use shooting and brawling? Or just might, finesse and cunning?. 2) What happen if I roll two successes? Would I take three hits or just one hit?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 12:07:42 PM by gruulgor »