Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:05:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Harry does Frostgrave  (Read 55381 times)

Offline Harry

• Scientist
Re: Harry does Frostgarve
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 12:46:29 PM »
Thanks fellas.
Glad you like it.

:-* wow, that is one awesome table! Fantastic work. Very inspirational.

I promise you there is nothing to it .... easiest paint job EVAR!!!! Everything painted black, dry brushed up through several shades of grey than a bit of pure white used for frosty effect.
The snow was simplicity itself .. I just mixed sand and PVA in with white paint and slapped all over.
Tress came straight out of the packet like that.
Jobs a good un.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:58:25 PM by Harry »

Offline Curadh

• Bookworm
  • Infinity is the Limit
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 03:01:12 PM »
This is very inspiring work.  Really well done.  I like the way you recognized the plastic dwarf head as a potential war gaming accessory. I wish I had that skill set!

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 03:23:43 PM »
Liked this so much I just bought one of those dwarf heads  that just could go with so many things
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »
It's all beautiful, but like many others I commend that Gormiti toy. I have one of the little head things that I got in a pound shop, but I never figured out what to do with it. Maybe a sort of Mount Rushmore type feature. Anyway, the board is lovely.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 03:50:11 PM »
Absolutely fantastic looking table! And I would say probably right about the scenery density to get the best from the game.

Can't wait to see some minis on that table!

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 04:59:08 PM »
Thanks fellas.
Glad you like it.

This is very inspiring work.  Really well done.  I like the way you recognized the plastic dwarf head as a potential war gaming accessory. I wish I had that skill set!

I am always on the look out for plastic rubbish that has the potential for a repaint. It just ammuses me I think to pick up something like that for a few pounds of ebay instead of the big bucks ypu can pay for stuff.
If you like that you will love this ....
This is a plastic He-man toy re purposed as a Frost Giant / Giant yeti type thing:

There is actually some nice detail on this guy for a big plastic toy:
Great fur texture to paint!

As you can see ... he is huge:

He started out life as this:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:19:28 AM by Harry »

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 05:04:37 PM »
Absolutely fantastic looking table! And I would say probably right about the scenery density to get the best from the game.

Can't wait to see some minis on that table!

You sir get a reply all of your own. Thanks for this. Not been this excited about a game in ages.

Glad you like the table ... Hopefully you will get a great deal of enjoyment as you follow some of these threads and see the creativity your work has inspired.

Yes seemed to work OK ... you do need a bit of cover to take advantage of. Can't be walking around in wide open spaces with archers about.

If you ever fancy a game on this table ... I'm in Gloucestershire. :D
If not, I hope you come back and enjoy it by visiting this thread from time to time.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 06:37:56 PM »
Great work on the table.

And the yeti is inspired - to see that hideous lump of orange plastic and realise it could be made into an awesome yeti, is a skill in itself. Let alone the painting of the yeti.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 10:38:09 PM »
Man - I'd love to play a game on that table. Looks great. I've always wanted to have a set of snow terrain - Something about it just seems to spark my imagination, and be prettier than other stuff. Guess I should start working on that as well.  ;D

With regards to repainting stuff: Spotting the right things to repaint is certaily a skill. I never seem to have any luck with proper bits, but yours look magnificent!

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 05:28:50 AM »
Thanks fellas.
I do appreciate all these kind comments.

Man - I'd love to play a game on that table. Looks great. I've always wanted to have a set of snow terrain - Something about it just seems to spark my imagination, and be prettier than other stuff. Guess I should start working on that as well.  ;D

With regards to repainting stuff: Spotting the right things to repaint is certaily a skill. I never seem to have any luck with proper bits, but yours look magnificent!
Honestly this is the quickest and easiest terrain I have ever painted .... I would recomend a snow table to anyone.
Mine is especially pretty as I used children's snow glitter in it ... so it sparkles .... and shimmers. :D

I guess it just looking out for toy with nicely sculpted detail .... I have a lot of jot with plastic bugs and animals. They often come as one colour plastic or with nasty prepaint s but underneath is a nicely sculpted creature.

Since the introduction of Reapers BONES I am an even bigger fan of cheap plastic. My other giant for this gaame is the this undead one ....

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:32:40 AM by Harry »

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 08:04:13 AM »
I love that Beast-Man adaptation ('cos, a: it's great, and b: I loved He-Man as a kid), and that giant skeleton is no slouch either!
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2015, 09:15:03 AM »
You sir get a reply all of your own. Thanks for this. Not been this excited about a game in ages.

Glad you like the table ... Hopefully you will get a great deal of enjoyment as you follow some of these threads and see the creativity your work has inspired.

Yes seemed to work OK ... you do need a bit of cover to take advantage of. Can't be walking around in wide open spaces with archers about.

If you ever fancy a game on this table ... I'm in Gloucestershire. :D
If not, I hope you come back and enjoy it by visiting this thread from time to time.

Glad to hear the game has caught your fancy. I have been enjoying all the creativity that people are applying to the game. I'll probably enjoy it even more once the initial jitters of having my work submitted for public scrutiny have passed!

I don't get out much since the baby came along (and I didn't get out that much before!), but if I'm ever down Gloucestershire way, I'll drop you a line!

Offline Awesomeshotdude

• Librarian
Re: Harry does Frostgrave
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 09:48:45 AM »
I totally love those two giants, Harry, especially the Beast Man-turn-Frost Giant/Giant Yeti...it looks so awesome!

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2015, 10:20:39 AM »
That table is the best advertisement for getting into frostgrave I've seen. You really succeeded in capturing the look you were going for and get bonus points for it being easy and quick to do.

I've looked at that Gormiti toy in a toystore a few times, but didn't buy it because full retail is expensive, but I'll try to hunt down a cheaper copy now that I've seen it does work.

The Beastman to yeti conversion is amazing, no doubt thanks to your impressive painting skills.  8)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 10:40:36 AM »
Fantastic...I am a great fan of cheap plastic - you should be very proud !