Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:19:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First Game - First Thoughts  (Read 1397 times)

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
First Game - First Thoughts
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:23:35 AM »
Got my first game in tonight, this was my opponent's first contact with the game so we were both learning as we went. This isn't going to be a full-fledged AAR, just my attempt to get some thoughts down.

Warbands - Tom (my opponent) went for the biggest force possible with 5 thugs, 2 archers and a templar. I only had 6 soldiers, 3 infantrymen and 3 crossbowmen, plus a wolf from the Animal Companion spell (which I've since realised I should have tried to  cast again with the apprentice). Thugs die easy, the extra damage from my soldiers made a big difference.

Scenery - we had a good table full, thankfully our club is pretty well stocked. I think we got the density about right, I do have some fairly low quality pictures that I'll post at some point and that show the table layout.

This game can be downright brutal. We had more than one soldier taken out by a single hit with a good attack roll.

I managed to lose my wizard to a failed casting roll. Admittedly the arrow he took in the previous turn that reduced him to one health may have had something to do with it, but it was still pretty galling. Especially since the spell in question was Steal Health.

Poison Dart is awesome! Definitely the most useful spell I had available. Between this and Animal Companion I'm very glad I got witches with my Nickstarter.

I managed to lose both my wizard and apprentice but still wound up winning the game with my surviving soldiers. Tom concentrated on grabbing treasure, while I was just trying to kill stuff which seemed to be the better option.

Audrey's spell cards were invaluable (thanks Audrey!). I had mine laminated so I could write the modified casting numbers on them with a drywipe pen. We only had one set so we didn't have any duplication of spells, but I intend to recommend them to everybody.

Overall, lots of fun. Lots of interest from other people at the club too. Got another game lined up for next week, and Tom was already talking about the possibility of a campaign. Definitely a success.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:28:12 AM by ChaosChild »