Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:21:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690986
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Middle Eastern Building Project  (Read 11861 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Middle Eastern Building Project
« on: July 21, 2015, 02:48:54 AM »
My friend has asked for me to build him a bunch of buildings to go along with his modern stuff. I get asked to make stuff a lot, but relented this time as hey how difficult are Middle Eastern buildings to make? They're just four flat walls and a roof.

A few hours later however I came out with this.

He said that he wanted them to be super basic. ...Well he's asking the wrong person if he wants that. This is about as basic as I could manage. =/

Its made from foamboard mix with balsa wood and a bit of milliput to cover the rough areas. The scale's 28mm (pictured is a Studio Miniatures Rick Grimes model for scale) and yes as you can see it has an interior. Originally the ground floor was going to have one too, but it'd be too much of a pain in the arse to paint and access in games that I just glued on a shutter.

We'll see where this goes from here. He's dead set on me making him terrain, but like I tell everyone else "I hardly have the time to work on my own stuff, and kind of don't want to let stuff go once I've spent time on it". As people are probably aware I keep two threads over on the Post-Apocalyptic board, and well this Middle Eastern stuff would work all right for the Fallout setting...

Anyhow, I'll probably charge him £15-ish for this. That may be too high. I don't know. Whenever I make something the price is always £15 you see... If I have the time I might paint it before I give it to him tomorrow, though I think he wants to do that himself. ...But ah, like I said I kind of get attached to these things, and well I'd rather when people see this it were a reflection on my own skills in case I do happen to take on commission work at some point.

Anyway, I'm waffling. Like I said we'll see what he thinks. If its positive and I'm happy with the pay this may turn into a regular thing. If not then well its not as though I don't already have a ton of stuff that I'm behind on for my Fallout and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. stuff. =P

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Middle Eastern Building Project
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 08:43:50 AM »
And now with that thing painted. :D

I kept it fairly generic looking so it can be used wherever in the region (well where they use Arabic that is, but hell there's Arabic speakers all over). Should it be tied down to a specific conflict or area then I'll do what I usually do with my stuff and start adding graffiti, but at the moment I limited it to a piece of generic anti-war spiel and a decidedly American "Go Sox!" one. So aye, if my friend says, or I happen to prod him that way, that some American intervention went on in the area, then I'll happily start painting up some of those big murals the Americans painted in Iraq. :)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 08:47:25 AM »
Nice work, I like that. It would work well enough with my Aden project. I'm still faffing about on the terrain build.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 03:43:49 PM »
Great build!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 10:22:57 AM »
Great stuff!  8)

And depending on how much time has crept into building this, GBP15,- is either very cheap or a downright steal IMHO...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 10:36:34 AM »

He said that he wanted them to be super basic. ...Well he's asking the wrong person if he wants that. This is about as basic as I could manage. =/
  lol lol lol

Great work. Looks good. I don't think that is too much. If you look at the crap people sell on ebay for more than that you will see your friend got a good deal.

I particularly like the interiors. I am thinking I must have a go at making some buildings with nice interiors as I usually leave them plain.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 10:49:44 AM »
I hate having buildings without interiors. It takes just a bit more effort to add a removable roof and to stick in some floor boards (or if I can be bothered furniture). Otherwise they equate to just having hills on the table. As I play skirmish games where cover's important I'd rather have the environment as accessible as possible. =P

Righto. Well the first building that I made seemed to be along the right lines when I offloaded it a few days ago, so I've started working on some more. However I've been asked to use a different material (cork board style stuff), which already has a texture to it, whilst the one which I already made had its texture by me being impatient and heating the paint so it bubbled up a little and gave uneven areas. That and he wants to paint them himself, so this may turn into a thread of me just posting unpainted buildings from now one. Meh I'll see how this pans out, and well I already have two threads I'm posting stuff in already, so its not as if I'm tardy on the content.

This one's a similar size to the one before so that they can be placed side by side to form a street. I decided to turn it into a ruin so it'd be a bit more interesting to build, though I have a second one of the same design that'll probably be intact. Seeing as he doesn't want them painted I may up my schedule to two of these a week, we'll see as I have a full time job starting pretty soon.

Anyhow, any ideas about building designs, or critism'll be helpful. I won't be making the same design over and over obviously. These 5x5 inch buildings mean you can get a lot packed in in a small amount of space, meaning that there's plenty of cover. Though he's wanting some larger ones (A4 sheet sized), so I'll work my way onto those once I've worked out a set of measurements so everything all fits together properly.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 12:23:01 PM »
And now a third one of these, intact this time.

The floor's raised to have a bit of variety in the layouts. My friend likes how the frontage is raised off a bit too, so that'll probably be appearing more often than the ones that just have the windows, doors, etc cut into the walls.

If I have the time then this may turn into the pilot for another project that I'm considering. Once I've made enough of these (a dozen seems like it should be the upper end of the number) then I , may as in I haven't really planned this out at all, have a go at starting a fantasy style project with similar looking buildings.

May...

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 10:55:34 PM »
Let's call this thread a bit of me just throwing up crap that other people I know have asked me to do for them to...

Yeah, sure, we'll roll with that. :)

I was asked to do something with one of Ainsty Casting's vans, so I sculpted up a Hot Dog and slapped it on the roof. =P

Why the graffiti? ...Because I couldn't be bothered replicating the logo of course! The rear slogan reads "1 foot of pure meat", uh, which is taken from the Hot Dog van from GTA: San Andreas in case anyone is insane enough to remember that.

Anyhow, just taking a few shots of this before I dump it on my mate and y'all never see it again.

Oh god damn it he's going to use this bloody thing in the zombie apocalypse RP we've been doing for months. ¬¬

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 11:09:03 PM »
You're so freaking talented  :o

Hope to see you building Balmora once!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 09:02:15 AM »
Heh, I'm already behind on these buildings right now actually, but I should be able to catch up on a few now that I've actually bothered to buy some balsa wood. Saying that having made a few of these has given me ideas for Morrowind style ones (this thread and Frostgrave pushed me to make that Elder Scrolls ones), which are pretty much the same thing, bar some stylistic changes. =P

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 08:43:37 PM »
And one more for fun. :)

This one has an actual ground floor this time rather than finding excuses to avoid them. Yes those stair are a bloody pain in the neck to make. I'm liking the raised frontage areas, they break with the typical look you see with these things. Though I aught to have raised the entrance a bit. Meh, do that with the next one.

Speaking of next ones the plan is to make another two floor building like this, just twice as wide. Along with that its putting together single floor buildings so there's a bit of variation in height going on. I aught to make some ones which are half way in size between the single floor and two ones so the difference between the two isn't so stark in case they're lined up in a street. Always new things to try out.

Oh and I may try my hand at some scenery in this style as part of my Morrowind project. So if you happen to pop into this then that may be up your street too. :)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 09:40:05 PM »
Nice work. The buildings remind me of various Call of Duty settings. £15 a building is very reasonable.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 01:16:26 AM »
And the fluff which has come about since I last threw up stuff here. As I'm feeling ...I donno ...generous? Flippant? Whatever. This lot's going for £35. ..Because screw it, its taken me long enough to make them and I hate to leave a guy hanging. =P

Also I think they're shit. :)

The single floor ones, or my excuse to use up whatever left over cork I had left over.

And some shops, which were I keeping them I'd have tarted up with furniture and bits and bobs, but seeing as that'd be at my own expense its up to the guy I'm giving these to to be bothered to do that. =P

...Which is to say that they'll forever look like someone's nabbed everything, including the kitchen sink.

Hopefully with this I'll have bummed off enough stuff to tide him over for the immediate future. With that I can work on my own stuff now, particularly with churning out the similar ruined Hlaalu township board. 'Course I used up all the cork I had on these, so I'll have to see about bumming off some more or just going to a hardware shop and picking up a few. ...One of them speaks more to the cheap git in my however.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »
Looks good mate! But a bit of work left in em eh.

I know that "cannot be bothered" feeling  lol

Cheers
Matt