Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:23:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691122
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blackpowder in Frostgrave  (Read 7008 times)

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Blackpowder in Frostgrave
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 09:47:31 PM »
Would you only apply the +1 fight bonus if the pistol is loaded then?

No, I'm using it the whole combat.

Offline darthgus

• Assistant
    • Hobbyists Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 11:54:44 AM »
Such weapons should be...

Inaccurate... penalty to hit

Armour Piercing... the fire arm spelled the end of traditional armour

Unreliable... high chance of missfire

Offline Awesomeshotdude

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 12:27:43 PM »
Unreliable... high chance of missfire

Especially so in an environment with blizzards, ice and snow...that is if the games will take place in Frostgrave...

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 01:00:29 PM »
A lot would depend on the level of technology you want to use in the setting and the associated type of firearm. In poor weather a matchlock would be far less reliable than a flintlock, for example. It depends how far you want to go; mid medieval could be a simple metal tube; late medieval a more advanced handgonne; then basic muskets; etc  right up to wheellocks,  flintlocks and early rifles. Even by 17th century pistols were largely used in melee or discharged at very close range so range should definitely be restricted for pistols in any period. There's also still lots of references to armour still stopping shot at very close ranges in the 17th century (Sir Arthur Hesilridge was apparently shot in the head whilst breaking from combat twice but both times his helmet protected him).

Sorry, I'm rambling, I like stuff like this!

Edit : I see no one's posted since I rambled on. I didn't mean to kill this thread, sorry guys!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:32:59 PM by Elk101 »

Offline darthgus

• Assistant
    • Hobbyists Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 06:55:47 AM »
The real question is my develop explosive compounds when magic makes the job easier, just enchant a boom stick with fireball. I see no real need to develop blackpowder.

Of course you could make firearms something that Enchanters can make or develop a new school of magic around alchemy to produce various quasi magical compounds.

Offline JohnDSD2

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 07:29:26 AM »
I think I agree with many others that have posted, in that early black powder weapons were costly in themselves, inaccurate and potentially difficult to maintain in a snowy environment. The most frequently stated historical reason for the growth in the use of firearms is the lack of training required to use one, longbows needed daily practice not just to keep up the skill but to keep up the physique required. The other thing that is overlooked, is eyesight, with no vision correction shooting into a mass was the best option for both bowmen and arquebusier/musketeers. I think the as Crossbow is the easy option.

I would suggest that short range and or scatter type weapons would be more use in the confides of what is effectively street fighting. Perhaps a blunderbuss with similar effects to the Scatter Shot spell. For personal weapons which I think should be one shot weapons an increased Fight number in the first round of combat would be the best representation.

One further thing to consider is silver or magic bullets. I can picture a hard pressed wizard reaching for his trusty ‘Demonstopper’, a fearful multi-barrelled one shot weapon as a Demon bears down on him. Previously, loaded with magic bullets and many incantations, the weapon is capable of opening a plannar tear just big enough to send the Demon whence it came if the shot bests the Demons defense. A desperate act but it might not save him and a difficult and expensive thing to come by.