Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:54:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690318
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Game of Thrones Project - GIANT added!  (Read 16631 times)

Offline julesav

• Scientist
Re: Game of Thrones Project - Ideas for Wildlings?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 09:27:39 AM »
I was going to suggest some of the Tharn models from Hordes, Orboros faction?
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 04:35:21 AM »
I had not seen those Lucid Eye figures before - very nice sculpts.

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 04:52:01 AM »
Well, they are reasonably big, and they are resin too... I assumed that you'd trim them to fit and putty the joins to the models anyway though. That said, the cloaks are not designed to go over the shoulders of a Marine, whereas I presume that you'd want something that your models could pull around themselves to wrap up warmly.

Another thing to perhaps consider is a mould. I presume that you are hesitant to sculpt fur yourself; hence your request for ready-made fur cloaks... But you could use a texture stamp like this one on a suitable piece of putty, and them trim and glue to fit. It's a pricey mould, but I guess you'd get a *lot* of fur stamps from it (thus making it worthwhile for a full project).

I actually have the Anvil Industries ones, and they have a very large droop in the middle, so that a SM backpack can fit in there - they are nice, but look funny on 'normal' sized humans. Sculpting wise, I am confident enough to sculpt a bit of fur here and there, but not a whole cloak. The mould stamp is really cool, I may actually consider that! Would be good to let the GS only go off a little before attaching it to a model, so that you can wrap it around their shoulders.

The Lucid Eye stuff is amazing, perhaps getting a bit pricey since the $AUD has taken a nose dive. But I feel I can be tempted at some point.

Looking at the Frostgrave plastics again, they actually fit the bill pretty well - with the addition of some hairy heads, and less fancy weaponry, they might make a good way to bulk out the force. Will experiment and post some photos.

My Blog: http://returntologansworld.blogspot.com.au/
Empire of the Dead, Strange Aeons, Old-School Fantasy and Rogue Trader, 15mm ATZ

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 08:22:50 AM »
I was thinking Lucid Eye myself.

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 11:48:55 AM »
... Sculpting wise, I am confident enough to sculpt a bit of fur here and there, but not a whole cloak. ...

Again hello to you all.
Cloaks are rather easy:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=74283.0

If you want whole fur cloaks, I'd suggest you make normal ones with paper hankerchiefs and skulpt on the fur with GS after letting the paper and super glue set.

This is no great deal but makes for really authentic cloak work.

Cheers
GS
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 04:34:58 AM »
Thanks GS, a nice tutorial. I ended up having a crack at sculpting fur, and it is going well. Here are some Wildlings I have made from Frostgrave plastics, GW heads, and some GW flagellant arms mixed in. A couple of mould lines still to clean up, and I just noticed I need to turn the flame around to match the way his hair is blowing.

The Frostgrave plastics are super cool, and have all sorts of accessories. As you can see, their feet are all well wrapped, and they look like they could survive North of the Wall. I was originally saving them for the Night's Watch, but they make a great rag-tag bunch for the Wildlings. I also have one unit of Lucid Eye on the way, to make a unit of fierce foot. And my first Giant (an extensive conversion) is almost complete, I will post pics soon.

Cheers
The Baron

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: Game of Thrones Project - WIP Wildlings added
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 07:57:50 AM »
very nice indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 09:52:08 AM »
They look great  :-*
I need some of those hairy GW heads! What kit do they come from?

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 10:35:33 AM »
Very nice! Frostgrave plus greenstuff seems like a good formula for wildlings.

They look great  :-*
I need some of those hairy GW heads! What kit do they come from?

Let me answer that one for you. The front centre and the front right ones are indeed from a sprue known as the 'hairy heads' sprue! It was originally released as part of the Mordheim game, to convert the multi-part  'mercenaries' into Middenheimers, and consisted of several really nice bearded heads, lots of arms with hammers (some nice, some not so nice), and a couple of fur cloaks. It was later packaged with the multi-part Empire Knights kit, to convert them into Knights Of The White Wolf.

You can probably find it on ebay, and that's what I am gonna do sometime! Because I want a few of those heads to see if they can fit onto Perry plastics! One of the bearded heads in particular is really good (the one we can see here front right).

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/mrtnw/media/Miniatures/hairyheadsprue.jpg.html

I believe the other hairy heads used on this thread are from the flagellants sprue, which I have no experience with.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 02:08:33 PM »
The Frostgrave plastics are super cool, and have all sorts of accessories. As you can see, their feet are all well wrapped, and they look like they could survive North of the Wall. I was originally saving them for the Night's Watch, but they make a great rag-tag bunch for the Wildlings.

My thinking too, after seeing CB's kitbashing. You've proved it, and then some! :)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 02:13:24 PM »
Wow, some fantastic kit-bashing there! Nicely done Sir, nicely done.  8)

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 04:38:39 AM »
Why thank you all! These have been lots of fun to kitbash. While I am not going for CB's level of artistry, I am going for a retinue for Lion/Dragon Rampant - around 40 figures total.

Quite strange, I have only just read Captain Blood's thread now, and there is basically the exact same discussion as I have been playing out above regarding Wildlings etc. - funny how everyone is like-minded on the possibilities for these sets.

Thanks Charlie for the explanation, you are correct.

Captain Blood re: heads, working from the back left to right;
GW Flagellant, GW Flagellant, Gripping Beast Viking (you have already used this one, and clearly had the beard bend in the same position upon removal from the spure!), GW plastic skeleton head (this has been worked on more now, to make it more of a mask/helmet).

Front left to right;
GW Flagellant (I think, or Marauder... not sure), Mordheim Hairy Head, Mordheim Hairy Head

The Mordheim ones might be a bit scarce now, everything with that tag seems to go for $$$ on ebay these days.

RE: Arm on Frostgrave sprue not matching up with the axe, this did my head in - I came to the same conclusion that it is the crossbow arm you need to use.

Quite funny, the chap on the front right has come up looking perfect for my favourite Wildling, as seen in the centre of this picture. Entirely accidentally, even his sword is pretty much spot on!;

The skull headed one is inspired by Rattleshirt;

Just received a package, think it is my Lucid Eye - so expect some TV-version Thenns soon!
Cheers
The Baron

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 07:46:28 AM »
They certainly look the part  8) 8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 08:16:09 AM »
Nice conversions - inventive use of parts from various sources  8)

Regarding cloaks, my rambling Winter Wreaks Wild thread covers how I did them with paper, superglue and greenstuff. They can be made to be very flowing to indicate movement and yet very robust for handling.

This is as good a place as any to start:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=66620.300

For a more concise version, my project blog has a little bit of a summary:

http://www.silentinvader.uk/index_w_www_index_how.html

Hope this helps  :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 09:37:21 AM »

Captain Blood re: heads, working from the back left to right;
GW Flagellant, GW Flagellant, Gripping Beast Viking (you have already used this one, and clearly had the beard bend in the same position upon removal from the spure!), GW plastic skeleton head (this has been worked on more now, to make it more of a mask/helmet).

Front left to right;
GW Flagellant (I think, or Marauder... not sure), Mordheim Hairy Head, Mordheim Hairy Head

The Mordheim ones might be a bit scarce now, everything with that tag seems to go for $$$ on ebay these days.

Thanks for that. I have managed to source a few of the GW Flagellant heads from an online bits supplier, and fellow LAFer DeafNala has very kindly undertaken to send me a sprue of the 'hairy heads'.

Not quite sure what I'll do with mine when I get them. Not really planning to do Wildlings... Perhaps some hairier and more unkempt bannermen of the Starks, Boltons or Greyjoys :)

(A couple may also useful for my slow-growing Early Saxon collection, methinks).