Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:11:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689632
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Game of Thrones Project - GIANT added!  (Read 16613 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Game of Thrones Project - WIP Wildlings added
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 01:04:29 PM »
Not quite sure what I'll do with mine when I get them. Not really planning to do Wildlings...

I think there's a fair amount of gaming potential in the general vicinity of the Wall. At least in terms of possible factions: Night's Watch; a few hundred tribes of Wildlings (though I guess all but the Thenns would look like the same fur-wrapped barbars ;) ), including skinchangers, giants and mammoths; Others and wights; those Stark-loyal not-highlanders that popped up out of nowhere in later books... you could work Stannis, the Ironborn, and maybe even Bear Island, other northern houses, Skagos, and the Children of the Forest in there too.

I've been thinking about it a while! Mostly held back by the lack of both wildling minis and a big skirmish/small battle ruleset that tickled my fancy. Thought about using God of Battles, but Lion/Dragon Rampant and Frostgrave plastics look like they'll fill the gap nicely.

And considering where most of the LAF fantasy traffic has gone, I guess quite a few people will have snowy terrain handy. ;)

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
I think the rules for Forstgrave woulsld work great as well! I think I'm gonna use those fot my Westeros gaming, modifying them a bit to add cavalry.
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 04:04:35 AM »
Glad everyone likes them. I'm sure others will be able to pull these off much better than I ever could!

Nice conversions - inventive use of parts from various sources  8)

Regarding cloaks, my rambling Winter Wreaks Wild thread covers how I did them with paper, superglue and greenstuff. They can be made to be very flowing to indicate movement and yet very robust for handling.

Hope this helps  :)

Thanks for the links - your conversions are great! The greenstuff on top of the tissue idea is clever as well - my main worry was the texture of the tissue, as well as the robustness.

Well without further ado, here is my first Giant! Inspiration is from the TV show (so not the giant apes of the books)

The Giant conversion is based on the female Reaper Frost Giant, which is the closest fit I could find, has a nice pose, and is wrapped in furs and has a fur cloak. But I wanted a male giant, and the wild hair is a bit much. Reaper's Male Frost Giant is too stumpy and ogre like, as well as has an unusual pose. I got one of the metal versions of this model, and not the icky Bones. I'm sure the conversion would have been a bit easier, but nothing a good junior hacksaw couldn't fix.

The main thrust of the conversion was to bend the bones out of the way, saw off the female head off the front part, saw off the hair off the back part, bend back the bones, and then glue on a GW Ogre head, greenstuff the chest and legs (these were a bit too 'skin tight' I thought), and tidy up the fur on the back (this is where the hair was). Rather than match the same texture, I did my own, and will paint in different colours to suit.

And this is what I have come up with;

And the Wildling horde so far. I think the scaling of the giant is true to the TV show, and looks good.

Eagle-eyed amongst you will notice the Frostgrave 'Witch and Apprentice' here - perfect Wildlings, once their staffs are turned into spears. Mance Rayder also makes an appearance, he perhaps needs a bit more fur (but I wanted him armoured to look a bit different to the rest).

I am very tempted by the Lucid Eye mammoth, but will need to find a suitable giant to ride it.... any ideas?
My unit of Cro-Magnon arrived and they are beautiful minis. Can't wait to get them assembled.

Anyway, hope you like him!

Cheers,
The Baron

My Blog: http://returntologansworld.blogspot.com.au/
Empire of the Dead, Strange Aeons, Old-School Fantasy and Rogue Trader, 15mm ATZ

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Game of Thrones Project - GIANT added!
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 04:24:39 AM »
That turned out great!

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 10:37:38 AM »
very nice indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 10:47:19 AM »
Very nice indeed - and an extra well done for managing to incorporate such a distinctive head!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 11:28:16 AM »
Really well done! Inspired choice of bits.

I was thinking, of you could get your hands on some Frostgrave 3-ups...  lol

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 01:19:56 PM »
FANTASTIC! That is a MOST IMPRESSIVE conversion...the Giantess looks much better as a Big Ugly Guy than she dis as a Big Ugly Girl. GREAT WORK...enjoy the painting!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2015, 10:37:07 AM »
Well done! For a mammoth riding giant, there is this plastic AD&D one that might be a basis for conversion, with added furs and hair:

I converted and repainted one here for my old norse project (figure for scale):

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2015, 10:53:50 AM »
That is a great giant  :-*

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2015, 06:49:52 PM »
Fantastic conversion work with your wildlings group! Just lovely!  :-*

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 07:02:08 PM »
That really fits the bill  8) 8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2015, 07:23:31 AM »
Thanks all :) Was quite a bit of fun trying to find the right look. Reaper's website was a big help here - I was able to plan the conversion before purchase, by looking at the 'boneyard' pieces for this model; it was clear I would be able to saw off the head and hair with not too much damage, so it was a good choice. I have found an even better Mance Rayder model, so this one will be back off to the Night's Watch (even though he is an oathbreaker ;) )

Well done! For a mammoth riding giant, there is this plastic AD&D one that might be a basis for conversion, with added furs and hair...

And thankyou very much for the tip! Exactly what I am looking for, and without the hassle of trying to fit a giant model on the Lucid Eye mammoth. May I ask a couple of questions when working with this kind of model, as I tend to stay away from the 'collectible' ranges normally (heroclix etc.)

- Did you strip the paint first, or just ink wash then lightly paint over the top?
- How did you remove mould lines?
- Do you think greenstuff will stick to this, or does this depend on whether I strip the paint or not?

Thanks in advance, I am planning on getting everything built prior to painting, so that I can get a cohesive look.
Cheers
The Baron

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2015, 08:15:25 AM »
Well, it was a while ago but IIRC, I painted directly over the existing paint job. I certainly didn't strip it.

Mould lines were removed with a knife, wasn't too hard.

It takes green stuff just fine. As you may see if you look closer, I modified it a little myself, adding a beard and bulking out the waist a bit. Also replaced the weapon.

The main drawback is the tusks are bendy, which I can live with.

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2015, 08:55:53 AM »
Fantastic, thanks for the tips! The detail doesn't look nearly as obscured as on some prepaints, which means I probably won't strip it. Yes I saw the beard, but not the waist bulking out - your paintjob is really great.
I found one for a good price, so have grabbed him and will start sculpting some fur over the bare skin when he arrives, and work on a good weapon swap also.