Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:38:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Painting Mutiny?  (Read 9566 times)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: A Painting Mutiny?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 07:39:13 AM »
I've got 12 ready for undercoating this morning so I should get that little lot done by the end of the day I hope! A day or two max.

Darrell.

I wouldn't do them any less than my best. Your best is amazing, your wargaming is great. Go for amazing! Always, always, always, paint to the finest ability one has.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2015, 08:32:20 AM »
I wouldn't do them any less than my best. Your best is amazing, your wargaming is great. Go for amazing! Always, always, always, paint to the finest ability one has.

I do 99% of the time- I just want to get these mini's on the table top, ironically as they're brilliant sculpts :)

Darrell.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 08:57:16 AM »
Really looking forward to your take on these  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 09:02:50 AM »
All your painting looks good. Like really good.

Here is my call. Paint them up quick. Even quicker than your wargamer standard would allow. They will still look fabbo. Get them on the table and enjoy them.

This is the way I see it from my perspective. I have tons of figs. Armies of unpainted lead. Everything from vast hordes of dino riding nazis to entire companies of sci fi troopers and every port in between. All of them return only a tiny fraction of their potential joy. (the joy of 'collecting' which is a polite way of saying controlled hoarding!) Once a fig has paint on even if its not super duper they become far more fun. My hawkmoon figs may not be award winners painting wise (they still look fine though, not 'pants' by any stretch.) but they get gamed with because they are finished and they bring me even more joy than a non mutated wife from pasadena would because of it.

dont forget there is nothing stopping you from touching them up and improving them later on. (just dont seal them until they are prefect for you, you will be surprised at how hard wearing the paint is if they are handled reasonably and transported carefully in the meantime.)

I quite agree. I'm going to pick out one project every so often and 'speed paint' them so I have armies and not just the odd units.

If I don't like the results I can always revert to type.

Darrell.

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 09:06:15 AM »
Those figures in your first post look fantastic. I think that's about the best I could do, and it'd take me ages, so you should be very pleased. :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2015, 09:48:09 AM »
Thanks for everyone who has contributed to the conversation about my prevarications! :)

Those figures in your first post look fantastic. I think that's about the best I could do, and it'd take me ages, so you should be very pleased. :)

Thanks Gibby- that's very kind of you to say so.

It's not really that I'm not pleased with the results of the Wargames Standard stuff- I like it.

It's just that the Iron Duke mini's sculpts are so damn good and so apt for Havelock's aggressive tactics during the opening stages of the British reaction in the Indian Mutiny/First War of Independence.

I'm going to go for it today, I've still got 12 to clean up but the rest are undercoated and as soon as i've got the second lot of 12 done I'll be going for it- hopefully to finish them today!

Darrell.

Offline gustav

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 11:31:56 AM »
Darell

as others said your wargaming standard looks great anyway.
My advice would be to speed paint to get them on the table but perhaps base simply or use magnets and then when and if go back to them a unit at a time to paint to a higher standard as desired.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 12:39:16 PM »
Darell

as others said your wargaming standard looks great anyway.
My advice would be to speed paint to get them on the table but perhaps base simply or use magnets and then when and if go back to them a unit at a time to paint to a higher standard as desired.

I finished the unit and sold them!

I just wasn't happy with a range as beautifully sculpted and historically researched as Paul and Mike have produced nt having the best of paint jobs.

Watch this space for the unit re-painted to my usual painting standard :)

Darrell.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 10:27:48 PM »
Saw your work in progress shots over on TMP and thought they looked fine,still,your decision,but this means we'll have longer to wait now for the pictures of the finished unit :( will they still be Blue caps or another Regiment ? :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 06:51:06 AM »
Saw your work in progress shots over on TMP and thought they looked fine,still,your decision,but this means we'll have longer to wait now for the pictures of the finished unit :( will they still be Blue caps or another Regiment ? :)

Maybe not, I'll be painting either more Neill's Bluecaps or some Sudan stuff this weekend. most probably the former :)

Darrell.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 07:38:31 AM »
That's good news,I'll keep checking back for updates,also,we may see the additional command sets out shortly  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 08:13:05 AM »
That's good news,I'll keep checking back for updates,also,we may see the additional command sets out shortly  :)

Well, I've got the weekend free to I should get them done. I'll post up  pics just as soon as they're ready.

I've decided to base them on a regimental basis and to dispense of the 1p bases, for me they just don't look 'right' too far apart as they would be on the sabot bases. I'll be leaving a gap in the bases for the additional Ensign when they are released which will be quite soon I'm told.

I'm going to use the skirmishing packs that Mike and Paul have done for each regiment in skirmish games, they will look better too I think as there is more variety of pose. I'll do a 'test' skirmish mi ni or two with the stuff I paint up this weekend.

Darrell.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 04:45:51 PM »
I hear where you're coming from re the basing,it really is a pain basing stuff without a clear idea of what rules you are going to use for the games.I'm currently using pennies but like you I'm not liking the look of the minis in sabot trays,will be OK for the new The Men who would be Kings rules next year though.Nice to see Empress advertising the new packs,the flags look great as do the officers and ensigns and the gun crew and........oh! You get the idea lol. :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 11:34:17 AM »
I hear where you're coming from re the basing,it really is a pain basing stuff without a clear idea of what rules you are going to use for the games.I'm currently using pennies but like you I'm not liking the look of the minis in sabot trays,will be OK for the new The Men who would be Kings rules next year though.Nice to see Empress advertising the new packs,the flags look great as do the officers and ensigns and the gun crew and........oh! You get the idea lol. :)

lol Indeed!  lol

Darrell.