Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:29:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689822
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scratchbuilt Aerofauna  (Read 3455 times)

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
Scratchbuilt Aerofauna
« on: October 27, 2008, 08:18:25 AM »
Hello all,

Thought I'd throw up a link to my recent blog post showing off my scratchbuilt aerofauna. I plan to use these in my Aeronef games as some of the players have expressed an interest in an sky whaling scenario. Also have a viscious Sky Kraken to menace the fleets is always a plus.

Anyhow, pop on over and give it a peakc http://leadpeople.blogspot.com/2008/10/aerofauna-sightings.html.

Thanks,
-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Scratchbuilt Aerofauna
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:35:13 AM »
Those are pretty interesting.  And well done too.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:59:52 AM »
very nice and inspiring!
argsilverson

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:22:50 AM »
Eli: Great use of the material you had on hand to produce something very cool! It's amazing what we wargamers see when we look at mundane objects.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 11:22:02 AM »
Hello all,

Thought I'd throw up a link to my recent blog post showing off my scratchbuilt aerofauna. I plan to use these in my Aeronef games as some of the players have expressed an interest in an sky whaling scenario. Also have a viscious Sky Kraken to menace the fleets is always a plus.

Very, very nice. I especially like the floating stinger. You'd need an industrial supply of vinegar if you got hit by that beauty. Also, if the tentacles got detatched (lets say blown off) they could still destroy ships, floating around like some semi invisible minefield. Like it!
Now, did I send you our space kraken rules and did you give 'em a bash? Have you written any extension rules for aeronef for these?
Also, love to see these for scale sake next to a few ships. Preferably Prussian ones in the last throes of being crushed/stung mercilessly...
Well done!

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 03:31:41 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words. These have got to be one of the nicest, simplest scratchbuilds I've done. I find that the more I do, the easier it gets (sort of how it works, suppose) but also that my eye is becoming attuned to seeing the creation inside the raw materials, much like they say sculptors do with raw stone.

I am planning on making a few more of these, just for fun and in other forms besides squash. I did not do any scale pics because my Aeronef fleet is in complete overhaul (the balsa ones are dead) but I do have a few Brigade Models nefs that I will paint up and get based so there is a common reference point.

I have not come up with rules for them yet and I do not believe I received a copy of the Sky Kraken from you TJG, but I'd love to have it. You are right about the tentacles being hazard. I can also see them fowling props or damaging masts. An interesting note on the Stinger is that from build to paint it took all of two hours to complete.

Another project I am considering is doing up some Aerofauna of less amorphous nature using plastic sharks and whales with some heavy conversion. A buddy of mine has some of GZG's S'vasku figs from their Full Thrust line and we are considering using them as predatory Sky Darts. Think of them as chemical rocket propelled, living aerorams.

Any way. I'll try to get a scale pic posted soon, though the nice thing about these models is that they could easily sub in at any scale and stand-in for 28mm alien encounters or 15mm horrors, etc, etc.

Thanks all, 

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 06:28:42 PM »
vary nice! yet another style of gameing I need to jump into.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 07:24:44 PM »
I couldn't resist having a go myself, the first three are plastic balls from the tops of roll-on under-arm  with florist wire tendrils and green scouring pad fronds and the fourth was a fragrant apple (the sort you hang in cars, a car freshener), with broom bristle stingers and paper-over-wire tenticles. - They have been great fun to build and have stopped me doing more serious modelling, but thank you for the inspiration.

I'll get photos posted soon.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 07:52:24 PM »
Awesome Tony! That was fast. I am glad everyone is loving these and can't wait to what folks come up with.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 03:23:38 PM »
My first batch of Aerofauna are now on the Blog, I am very pleased with the way they came out and they have been great fun to build and paint - thank you for the inspiration.

Tony

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 02:22:09 PM »
The second batch of Aerofauna are now on the Blog, check out;

ony