Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:32:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sonny´s Frostgrave projects.  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Imitation of Life

• Lurker
Sonny´s Frostgrave projects.
« on: July 24, 2015, 01:09:08 PM »
Hello fellow Lead Adventurers! Sonny here, long time lurker and all that. It seems Frostgrave has been the project that would engage me to the point of finally setting up a profile on these boards so I can share my thoughts and projects with you wonderful people.

My hobbytime these past two weeks have been spend gathering up miniatures for Frostgrave. I am planning to run it as a participation game later in the year at the Horisont convention in Denmark, and also to host a longer campaign of it at my wargames club Rogue Trader Copenhagen

I plan to make 2-4 warbands and present them for a mini campaign with three scenarios in a format where guests can play all the scenarios in a row , or jump into the campaign and try a simple scenario. So for my part the Frostgrave project consists of the following elements:

• 2-4 warbands.
  • Full creature encounter table as presented in the book + NPC characters, villains and monsters for narrative play.
  • One 3x3 board crammed with frozen wizardtowers.

Beyond that, I need to write a mapbased campaign system that can carry a semi-openformat, three-month long club campaign. I 'll probably scrap the campaign system as written in the book entirely, as this was clearly written for GM campaigns between 3 and 10 games lenght. Which is fine for a day's events or weekend campaigns. I need a system that can extend over maybe 30-40 games pr. wizard without capping the power level halfway in the campaign. So there will be thoughts and writings on that subject :)

-----

I have been fairly productive so far, taking into the account the time it takes to just assemble and base up 50+ miniatures... So far I have mainly painted some of the NPC creatures, and am starting to find the tone and palette for the project. Here are some pictures of where I am at so far:

Necromancer and Chronomancer warbands:

Various creatures with paint on:

A selection of some terrainpieces I made yesterday. These are mainly proof of concept tests. When I come around to doing the full table, the main terrain features will be multistoried wizards towers with lots of bridges and walkways and the like ( Something a bit like this.)

Offline darthgus

• Assistant
    • Hobbyists Blog
Re: Sonny´s Frostgrave projects.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 01:52:23 PM »
Very nice start Sonny,

I have been looking though my shiny mountain of lead to find minis suitable for retasking to this project. I'll pictures taken once I have something to show. But for now I've been busy with the green stuff. Hope to get a couple of people at my club interested.

Offline Awesomeshotdude

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »
Fantastic looking mini's and terrain!

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 03:00:57 PM »
Wow! That's some great looking stuff, especially the terrain pieces.

As for your campaign. Maybe keep it simple just say that everyone goes up one level after each game?

Offline Calmdown

• Librarian
  • Wordy
    • Bad Karma
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 03:07:34 PM »
This all looks awesome, but I especially love the glows in your skeleton eyes and how evil they look. I always think Skeletons look a bit.... nonthreatening. But I wouldn't want to meet yours down a darkened alley, and especially not in a frozen ancient city...
Frostgrave blog and downloads: www.bad-barma.net (click me!)

Hey Frostgrave fans! Click to join us on Facebook!

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 04:18:08 PM »
Great looking stuff so far.
This is going to be one to watch.

Really interested to see what you come up with for campaign rules.

Offline tancrede

• Scientist
    • Studio Caillou
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 06:41:20 PM »
Excellent start !
Nice to see some old GW wood elves, and the first minis painted look really good... :-*
My blog, for personnal and commission work, and sometimes other things too => http://studiocaillou.blogspot.fr/

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
That's some great stuff you've got going so far.  I do wonder though; regarding the statue of Morr, was the broken sword intentional or accidental?  The Garden of Morr is an awesome kit, but so breakable.

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 08:32:51 PM »
Ehm.. I would call it a pre-emptive accident. My experience is that club terrain breaks anyway, so I might as well do it myself under controlled conditions :)

Offline Paboook

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 08:47:57 PM »
Amazing painting!

May I ask you what kind of snow effect you use?

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 10:15:15 PM »
Of course you may :)

Its Vallejo water effects with white paint adder, and scattered with Woodland Scenics snow flock.