Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:30:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691094
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Female Knight from Bad Squiddo Games  (Read 7513 times)

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
Re: Female Knight from Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 10:51:37 PM »
I'll be getting one, and some more in a similar style would be welcome. It's pretty difficult to find characterful knight miniatures.

Offline greatescapegames

• Scientist
    • Great Escape Games
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 10:39:27 AM »
Apart form Joan of Arc I have not read about one woman in armour on a battlefield from the medieval period, I have been to many museums and never saw one female set of armour, children's yes, females no, yes some commanded castles in the absence of their husbands but not on the parapets wielding a sword or bucket of hot oil. The list clutches at some fairly elusive straws. Margaret of Anjou was indeed a fearsome and strong willed woman, but she did not have a female armoured bodyguard, she didn't need one, she had, like everyone else, an all male retinue.

Perhaps this purchase isn't for you then...
Publisher of "Clash of Empires" Ancient and Medieval wargaming rules, and "Rules of Engagement", WW2 wargaming in 28mm, at www.greatescapegames.co.uk

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 11:45:51 AM »
I like her. Only thing I would change is the grip on her sword it looks odd the way she is holding it. I think the look would be greatly inproved by removing the bit between her hand and the crossguard.

There are lots of medieval manuscripts that depict women in full or partial plate.

Offline imperialforge

• Schoolboy
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »
That's a nice characterful miniature. My only concern - how exactly is "she" a female? "She" looks exactly like any 15th-century male knight (minus the weird crotch defenses) with customary long hair. Which, to correct myself, is not a concern at all - I would kill for a male knight like that and might even buy this when available - to serve as a male captain :)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 02:50:21 PM »
What's in a name? It's labelled as a female knight, but could easily be painted as a male... I don't suppose Annie will hunt you down for it.  ;)

My point earlier was that once you add helmet and all the padding and what not, it would be very difficult to tell male from female. Personally I would swap the sword for something less hefty, whether I was depicting male or female... but otherwise it's a nice figure.

Apparently the description of Joan of Arc's armour gives us something like this;

Could you tell if there's a man or a woman there?

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »
Cheers guys!

Of course you can use it as a long haired chap too!

It's a huge part of my point with the project, that under armour, and especially in such a small scale, it "technically" would impossible to tell the difference most of the time. So yeah you could just say a big chunk of your Perry troops are women. It's not as fun though, and "male" is the default...for everything. So a miniature needs to be recognised as female, even if it is simply just through the name, for the female miniatures awareness, and general awareness of women in combat to work.

There are miniatures in the other ranges I stock like this - that unless I was told it was a female model, I wouldn't know. Because, you know, you normally know it's a woman because of the boobs and skirt and handbag (??). I've put in a few re orders recently and double checked the catalogue to see if there's anything I missed... hells yes. I can't believe I had skimmed past the excellent troopers by Crooked Dice, they were so good - I missed them! I even missed Asha Greyjoy (http://thedicebaglady.net/asha-greyjoy/) on about 5 restocks because she wasn't so "obvious".

And yeah, that's it. It's all about women in combat, wearing protective gear, doing their thing. They don't need sculpted boob armour, or to be awkwardly posing on rocks, or pouting, or lifting a skirt up the knee. One of my checklists is "a year ago, if I saw this in a shop, would I buy the hell out of it?", and so far everything has ticked "I sure would!"

I'll keep you updated as to when she is out (or he, if you want!)

Cheers
Annie

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »
Of course male is the default, there is a reason why there's a 'his' in history and that it's not called herstory.  ;)

I would actually like to see some 15th C. female camp followers and villagers. As far as I know these are limited to 'fantasy villagers' who must inhabit some place where there is a shortage of cloth... for women at least. I do expect a strumpet to display her wares, but I can't believe everyone barring Old Jenny the Hag was in 'Carry-on Henry' mode.

:)