Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:16:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How do you paint MDF Buildings  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
How do you paint MDF Buildings
« on: July 27, 2015, 09:15:50 PM »
I recently purchased a large quantity of 28mm scale 5mm laser cut MDF buildings and terrain items. The items look great, but now I need to paint them. Without destroying the details on the items, what is the best way to paint them to make the very light grooves and other features pop? Will the cheap flat black, white and grey Walmart primers work, or will the MDF warp? Once primed, do I just dry brush? After the paint dries, do I spray on a cheap Walmart matte coat? then Testors dull coat? will either of the matte coa or dull coat warp or damage the MDF? I have never painted this type of material before and really want to make these items look amazing as they are exactly what I had been searching for on the Internet, at conventions and hobby stores for several years.

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline orm1

• Scientist
    • Ormesmodels
Re: How do you paint MDF Buildings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:17:31 AM »
Try going to Warbases and Charlie foxtrot models both have links to blogs with tutorials and Charlie Foxtrot Models have tutorials on their site. I've used acrylic paint on mine.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:36:40 AM »
I've used acrylic paint and inks on mine. I've undercoated black on some mdf pieces as the mdf finish was too apparent,  especially the cut edges. There was no warping and it painted up fine.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:19:05 PM »
Mostly undercoat mine with red oxide primer or a model can of sand undercoat.
Depends on the building.
Red oxide makes for quick brickwork, sand for quick concrete.
Then paint in details and ink wash.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:56:14 PM »
Thanks for your input. I will try a small piece first and proceed from there.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 09:27:16 PM »
For my MDF buildings I use household emulsion paint in tester sized pots, from a DIY store.

Rather than brushing on the paint, I used a piece of blister pack foam as a sponge to put the paint on - you can do this at an angle to the engraved detail, and as such get very little into the grooves.

Another great time saver is to do the bulk of the painting before the building is assembled - its much quicker to paint over lots of flat stuff, rather than trying to paint 3D stuff. And as you haven't put the windows and doors in, there is no real need to be neat.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 05:29:43 AM »
Haven't done smaller scale ones, but for a lot of the 25-32mm scale ones, they tend to paint just fine. And with things like 4 Ground's "pre-painted" stuff, a spray on varnish works fine after assembly (Most assembly anyway because I waited with the fur for the japanese ones with the fur roofs.)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 07:21:52 AM »
For my MDF&HDF scenery I use a very cheap spraycan. I just prime them with grey...and I use a lot. The stuff sucks it all up, so a thin coat doesn't really work.
Afterwards I use my airbrush to paint it; a brush often leaves obvious brush marks on the buildings and with an airbrush it is much easier IMO.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:20:41 AM »
I add 3 d features (eg brickwork and window sills ) and then render all my MDF buildings in sand - and then paint using acrylics..

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 04:51:06 PM »
WOW...
So many different ways. Thanks everyone.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)