Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:04:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Elbowtech (Battletech Skirmish) - Rules on Page 1  (Read 33556 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Elbowtech (Battletech Skirmish) - Rules on Page 1
« on: July 26, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »
11/3 Update:
Because of the lack of size of my photobucket space remaining, most things are being put over on my blog (w/ Battletech label to locate the appropriate posts).  I'll also keep a dropbox link here for the current rules.

DROP BOX LINK TO RULES: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eajkby83ogvds7d/ElbowtechV12New.pdf?dl=0

Strategy Card deck will be redone and then hosted on the blog instead of photo links here.

As any kid who grew up in the 80's-90's, I was enamored with big stompy robots.  I'd become addicted to Robotech after picking up some role-playing books at the local used bookstore's gaming section (second isle from the left, back of the store on the floor to your right...).  I followed suit by finding a couple of used technical read-outs, and so began my curiosity into the world of Battletech.

I picked up the old starter box at some point, and immediately didn't care for it.  Paper maps, hexes, really crap miniatures.  Shortly thereafter I picked up some of the novels though, and my interest was peaked.  I figured out at an early age that I thoroughly enjoyed the “fluff” or story of the Battletech universe, I simply thought the game was crap.

I told myself that someday I'd find a way to play Battletech which was more fluid etc.  A year or so ago I found Catalyst re-launching the boxed set with nicer miniatures, and I picked up a few boxes (just in case).  Any fan of Battletech or Robotech knows that you should grab what you can, when you can.  Neither is a heavily supported franchise (outside of the popular video games, Battletech has been on/off it seems for a while).

Inspired by TooBoCoo's thread on Battletech mechs I finally picked one of my starter boxes and started chopping up minis.  I'll admit the plastics are still a bit crap compared to modern hard plastic miniatures from most companies (the Robotech minis blow them away), but you get 24+1 in the starter box for a reasonable price.

I based a handful of mechs for two opposing factions, painted them with nothing more than a drybrush and some metal scratches...and decided to play a game.

OBJECTIVE: A more fluid skirmish game of Battletech*.

*Disclaimer: This is a super early “whipped this up in a few minutes” approach at the moment.

I decided to first pare down the information in the tech readouts.  I picked up the old copy of 3025, and started a quick spreadsheet on mech info:

Movement: Simply converted into inches.  MP of 4 = 4” movement, etc.

Internals/Armor: Calculated these, and cut them into 10's.  48 internal points = 5 internal points.

Quirks or Special Issues: I read the introductory information for each of the mechs (the fluff was excellent in the original 3025 manual).  I applied special notes to each mech to reflect this.  Eg.  The Quickdraw has large but weak ankle actuators...so I decided that each time it uses jump jets, it must roll against internal damage.  Certain mechs don't have ejection systems so the pilot is more likely to die when destroyed etc.  Some mechs carry more ammunition for certain weapons, so I remove or reduce the chance of running out of ammunition etc.

Weapons: I took the weapon chart and modified it a bit.  I extended ranges for lasers, reduced them for auto-cannons (always thought this was the stupidest discrepancy in the rules).  Each five points of damage inflicted was treated as a single point of damage (ie. All weapons have effectively been doubled, since armour is a point for each 10, and weapons a point for each 5).  Weapons were given special rules to suit the weapons (ammo, knock-back, etc.)
Heat: Heatsinks and heat management have always been a Battletech feature (maybe a bit tooo much sometimes).  I divided heatsinks by 5, to provide a number of heat points to a mech.  I decided that jump jets or running would cause 1 heat, and weapon clusters would be assigned by heat.  Players could opt to exceed heat by 1 and suffer some damage, 2 and they'd suffer damage (twice) and a shutdown if desperately needed.  Standing in water would add 1 temporary heat sink, damage could increase your heat etc.  In a way, heat would define the “action” points of a mech.  Stand and shoot a bunch or run and shoot less, etc.

Rules: I decided to whip up a quick version of rules based on a WW2 tank game I almost started making.  I decided to go with command dice, a strategy deck, etc.  Mechs were assigned target numbers based on their class.   These target numbers go up or down depending on speed, skill, terrain, movement, damage etc.
   Command dice would be rolled (D6 with icons).  Three command dice would be issued to the player for each lance he had on the table.  Each dice would have 1-2: Light Mech, 3-4: Medium Mech, 5: Heavy Mech, 6: Assault mech.  Command dice could be increased, or re-rolled depending on command abilities, strategy cards etc.  In addition, up to one dice per turn could be saved as a tactical reserve and rolled when desired (allowing players to build a pool of back-up dice, so they can roll more on a turn of their choosing).
   I'd also allow a player to trade two matching lower mech activations to activate a single mech one level above (ie. Roll two Light Mech activations and you could trade them to activate a single Medium mech etc.).
   Strategy cards weren't used in this play-test, but would be scribbled up for future games.  I haven't determined how we'll use these – either drawn on the turn, or drawn by dice roll, or allocated/drawn before the game starts.  These strategy cards would involve air support, communications bonuses, command dice bonuses or re-rolls, infantry/ambush attacks against mechs, resupply or refitting, etc.

Tables:  Because I love cards, and I love tables I then immediately drew up tables for pilot skill, pilots ejecting, critical hit tables, planetary conditions tables, a campaign table for mechs showing up to a fight previously damaged or worn out (when was the last time any military force in combat showed up at 100%?).  These were partially used during the play-test game.

THE GAME: Meeting skirmish between two heavy lances.

While I plan on having a large list of randomly determined “encounters” or battle situations, I decided to start with a simple one.  Two heavy lances, from opposing sides have run into each other.  I did not use any planetary conditions for this game, and threw together some rocks and some trees (the only 6mm scale terrain I could come up with this weekend).  I'll have to pick up some of the fantastic card buildings from Dropzone Commander sometime.
   I have crappily painted up my two forces in simple schemes to identify with each other easily.  No background, no fluff – just some mercenary units on some crap planet.  Using the first box of mechs I was trying to balance the sides purely by weight (tonnage).  I have started painting Assault mechs and downward, so the lances consist of 4 mechs each, two assault, and two heavies.

As it stood for the first game, balancing tonnage (I have also done up a table for rolling random tonnage for your lance, if players are really sadistic) I ended up with the following:

Yellow Shoulders Lance
-Atlas, normal pilot.
-Awesome, normal pilot.
-Quickdraw, veteran pilot (+1 to rolls)
-Jagermech, normal pilot.

Grey Camo Lance
-Banshee, normal pilot.
-Zeus, normal pilot.
-Grasshopper, normal pilot.
-Dragon, normal pilot.

My personal feelings are that the Yellow Shoulders Lance is a bit better off, but I'm not sure how my changes will impact the game.  At a glance, I see an Awesome and an Atlas...that's trouble.  The Banshee is a joke of an Assault mech, so we'll see how this works out.

BEGIN!

I started off both lances on opposing corners of a 4x6 board.  I started rolling and moving mechs.  Both sides had about the same amount of activations.  The assault mechs and heavies activate the same, but heavies are more likely to have trade-up activations.  Both sides moved out, almost everyone being armed with decent weapons capable of 48” range.

The Quickdraw used its jump jets to move onto a plateau so he could begin harassing fire with his LRMs.  The second he touched down a salvo from the Dragon struck him.  It detonated his SRM4 ammunition, and took a chunk out of his armour.  Unfortunately for the Dragon he had rolled both a critical (natural 10 on a D10), and a failure (1, which also depletes your ammunition).  So he had inflicted some nice damage but his LRM10 ran out of missiles on the first turn.

The Quickdraw stood on the plateau loosing LRM10s into the Zeus while taking a PPC bolt from the Banshee.  His LRMs cycled empty after a few shots and he used his jumpjets to leave the plateau (reduced now to only two Medium lasers).  Upon landing he did more damage to his internals when his ankle motors started smoking.

The Grey Camo lance was advancing, the Dragon using its speed to run around the flank, while the others advanced up the middle.  Once the Quickdraw had left its perch, targets became more scarce.  The opposing Jagermech had appeared on a corner and would draw the ire of the lance if he didn't move/shoot soon.

The Jagermech faced off with the Grasshopper and was down to half his armour by the time he even fired his autocannons and lasers, the Grasshopper scoring hits with LRMs and his large laser as he plodded forward.  A large LRM splash against the Grasshopper announced the arrival of the skull-faced Atlas.  The Grasshopper peeled away as the Banshee prepared to face the new threat.  The Dragon, with only autocannons and a laser left was still running around the flank, as the Zeus went solo to the left flank (completely unsure he could engage an Awesome by itself and survive...).

The Yellow Shoulders Lance was struggling with activations.  The Jagermech was hurt, the Quickdraw was out of both missile types, and the Awesome and Atlas were very slow on the approach.  I still suspect the armor and heavy weapons would save the day though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:21:46 PM by Elbows »
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Elbows plays Battletech.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 06:01:23 PM »
As the Dragon closed around the flank it ran into the badly injured Jagermech.  Autocannon and laser firing, the Dragon tried to push the Jagermech back.  Instead of preserving itself, the Jagermech moved into closer range, cycling all of its medium lasers and four autocannons.  Smoke started boiling from its arms as casings spewed out, firing all it could into the Dragon.

The Dragon's armor blew away in smoldering chunks and damage started punching into its internals.  It's autocannon was destroyed and it prepared to retreat.  Just then the Grasshopper nearby jump-jetted onto a nearby hill and defeated the Jagermech with a well placed laser and LRM barrage.  The Jagermech toppled over, aflame.  The Jagermech's pilot ejected but was grievously injured in the process (something which would impact campaign games if that's something I begin trying...).

First blood to the Grey Camo Lance.  The Banshee nearby fired a PPC bolt into the Atlas, which barely noticed.

THE KILLS MOUNT

At this point, things were beginning to look dire for the Yellow Shoulder Lance.  The Banshee had dug in and emptied several PPC rounds into the Atlas (which was slow to activate).  The Quickdraw had been using pop-up attacks to harass the Banshee with its medium lasers.  That ended when the Zeus finally entered the fight and unloaded its full arsenl of autocannons, lasers and LRMs into the Quickdraw at close range.  The Quickdraw exploded, its pilot killed instantly.

Unfortunately for the Zeus it had taken some damage earlier from an Atlas missile barrage, and the Quickdraw's early fire.  Once the smoke settled on the Quick draw two PPCs belted into the Zeus and it almost fell over.  The Awesome had arrived.  At this point, there was no way the Zeus would be able to go toe-to-toe with the Awesome (unscathed and HEAVILY armed).

On the right flank, the almost-destroyed Dragon had retreated.  With only a medium laser left, it was not going to partake in the fight if it could avoid it.  The Banshee was poised behind a cliff outcrop, hoping to defeat the Atlas.  The Grasshopper was attempting to flank the Atlas.  It was four vs. two, but those two had tremendous amounts of firepower, so the game was still up for grabs.

GIANT SLAYER

The Grasshopper rounded the plateau and began firing into the Atlas, peeling armor from its rear.  The grinning skull face of the now heavily damaged Atlas turned on the Grasshopper, emptying its load of autocannons, SRMs, and lasers.  The Grasshopper was losing armor by the ton and fell back, jump-jetting and popping laser fire at the Atlas as best he could.
   The Banshee was steaming toward the fight, with the Atlas now heavily damaged, if it could be removed it'd turn into a thee-on-one with the fresh Awesome.  En route to the fight between the Atlas and Grasshopper, the Awesome appeared – firing into the side of the Banshee.
   The Dragon was still sitting, far from the fight.  With almost no armor and one small weapon it would be the very last thing I'd rely on.

The Grasshopper leaped skyward on its jump jets and fired another volley of medium lasers into the Atlas*, destroying its targeting computer and setting it on fire.  It then exploded, the pilot ejecting safely.  The Atlas was dead.

The celebration was short lived when the Awesome advanced, firing three PPCs into the Banshee, again and again.  The Grasshopper moved to flank the Awesome and the Banshee turned to fight it.  It was overwhelmed by the constant barrage of PPCs and the Banshee crumpled over, smoking.  (The Awesome managed to activate three turns in a row, getting the jump on the Banshee and just punished it with the firepowear it has).

Now it was down to a half-boiled Grasshopper, and a very damaged Dragon to somehow defeat the slightly scratched Awesome.  A single volley from the Awesome and either of the damaged Heavy mechs would be on the chopping block.

*At this point I realized that (just like many Battletech games), the ability to do pop-up attacks was pretty dangerous.  As such I have applied a -3 penalty to firing while jump jetting, and will allow mechs to activate into “defensive fire” posture, or a form of overwatch, suffering only a -1 firing penalty.  Combats will occur simultaneously and a mech on overwatch will not be able to move --- but I think this will nerf the temptation to sit back and pop-up attack ---- if an enemy mech can pop you back with a boatload of LRMs or PPCs.

At that point, luck failed the Awesome.  After activating about four turns in a row, it sat nearly motionless for three turns while the Grasshopper fired into it, and the Dragon flanked, eventually getting a single medium laser shot into the back of it.  One activation, the Awesome began withdrawing, afraid of being shot in the back (when firing from the rear 180-degrees of a mech, 50% of the damage is applied directly to internals).

Eventually the withering hail of medium lasers from the two large mechs (managing to activate almost every turn) was too much, the Awesome succumbed.  Exploded.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »
THOUGHTS

Fun.  Even as a solo game, it was enjoyable, and played out much like I would expect something to in the Battletech universe.  Some things will need to be addressed, and I do need strategy cards, etc.  I did not play overly tactical as I wanted to see how weapons/damage/armor played out.  They played out well.  I'm going to re-do the ammunition rules, as a single 1 rolled on a D10 kills your ammo, and if you have 3-4 dice being rolled, you'll only ever get a shot or two off.

The need for balanced lances was immediately apparent.  An Assault lance would really suffer against a Medium lance as far as activations go (but the Assault mechs can deal out some pretty decent damage).  The Assault mechs can soak up a lot of fire, but they're not invincible.  I sacrificed the Atlas to activate the Awesome for most of the game.  So many activation dice were wasted because I didn't have medium or enough heavy mechs to run.  I should have saved some activation dice early in the game, so I could use them when really desperately needed.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed it and think I will move forward with the rules. 

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »
Nice miniatures and terrain. Like the the subtle paintjobs on the mechs with the colored stripes. Quite clever yet believable (as far as belief can go in a future where two-legged machines are the most powerful assets).

I assume you have heard of the Quick Strike rules?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 06:59:42 PM »
Yep, looked into them and really didn't catch my fancy.  Looked a bit too simple for what I was hoping for.  I debated investing in them and modifying them heavily, but this was just easier.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 07:08:12 PM »
Thanks for the battle rep Elbows, seemed to have been good fun game, managed to bring back good memories from the good old days :)

Will happily read more AARs.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 03:30:57 AM »
Dragged up an old card design...made some changes and started futzing around with building some mech cards...

EDIT: Cards on page 2.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:33:54 PM by Elbows »

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 07:35:34 AM »
I really like where you're going with these rules. I always had a thing for Battletech, but the game just never did it for me. Way too much bookkeeping and the game was very slow. I like how you brought it back to the core, made a slick game that still looks and feels like Battletech. If you need people testing, I would love to help out!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:08:34 AM »
This looks nice and is very inspiring.

Nice painted miniatures too !

Thanks for sharing.
, ,

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 12:14:15 PM »
I really like where you're going with these rules. I always had a thing for Battletech, but the game just never did it for me. Way too much bookkeeping and the game was very slow. I like how you brought it back to the core, made a slick game that still looks and feels like Battletech. If you need people testing, I would love to help out!

We'll see where this goes.  Obviously I can't sell it, but if it plays well enough with some friends (we're planning to try a few games) I may be able to start a small blog to cover the rules/tables/etc.

At some point I'll move to 3050 (where I'll stop) but it'd be easy for other people to adapt the rules for further generations.  3050 of course brings in ER tech, MASC, NARC Beacons, CASE, gauss tech etc.  My main interest is 3025, but since 3050 can use the same mechs (just better versions) I see no reason to not eventually do those up.

I've got eight more mechs assembled for priming (four of which are Robotech models which are brilliant).  I'll probably do a few more Robotech models and maybe one more of the starter boxes worth of mechs (or pick up a couple of the mech lances).  Not sure how many I want available.  Games would be limited to about a company's worth of mechs.  Probably suitable for about a lance per player.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 11:48:33 PM »
EDIT: Cards page 2.

This is going to take a while...(sigh)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:34:10 PM by Elbows »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 01:41:37 AM »
Edit: Cards page 2.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:34:26 PM by Elbows »

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 02:56:54 AM »
I really like the approach to strip the game down to basics tp make it a faster game with less paper work. I liked the clix version for this very fact. While I loved to play this game back in the day the record keeping was horrendous  :o. Keep those cards coming

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 03:50:17 AM »
I'll be printing out these cards and using tarot-card sleeves and dry erase markers.  It's going to end up somewhere between Battletech and Alpha Strike as far as complexity.

Ammo: Weapons which use ammo will roll an additional D10 ammo die, when it rolls a 1 the weapon is out of ammo (even on your first shot).  Mechs which carry double ammo will ignore the first failure, weapons which are unreliable will roll two dice (or 1 dice for unreliable beam weapons)

Damage: Damage is applied per hit-dice.  When shooting a mech from its rear 180 degree arc, every second (maybe third) point of damage will go straight to internal damage.  I haven't decided if a mech should blow up when all of its armor is gone, or only when its internal is depleted.  Weapons like the PPC inflict damage to both armor and internal.

Target numbers: The target number is in the lower left.  Pilots roll D10 for shooting, needing a 2 to strike an Assault Mech, 3 for a Heavy, 4 for Medium and 5 for Light mechs --- speed and cover will add to this.  A mech whose reactor is smoking will add +1 to enemy's shooting rolls etc.

Critical hits and misses:  When rolling D10 a natural 1 is a failure regardless of modifiers, and a 10 is a critical success regardless of penalties.  Criticals will roll on a 2D10 table, allowing for internal damage, legs and arms damaged, up to and including catastrophic explosions.  When a mech is destroyed, players can roll on the pilot ejection table to see what happened to the pilot.

Special rules: I've read all of the entries for the 3025 tech readout and made notes.  So, certain mechs suffer or benefit from certain things which are not normally portrayed in Battletech.  For instance, the Zeus above --- the notes state that his LRM15 is unreliable...but this isn't taken into account in the normal Battletech game.  I've penalized it for this.  The Cyclops has a top-tier comms suite, so he adds a command dice to the player's roll etc.

So, there is complexity (moreso than Alpha Strike) but its not the charts and graphs style of the original Battletech (and obviously, no hexes).  I'll elaborate on this stuff as it develops.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 02:20:43 AM »
Last batch for now...going to send off for some test cards (last thing I want to do is layout several dozen mechs only to find the printed cards are illegible or the fonts don't work etc.)

Edit: Cards page 2.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:35:00 PM by Elbows »