Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:58:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Elbowtech (Battletech Skirmish) - Rules on Page 1  (Read 33562 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Elbows plays Battletech.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 01:45:53 AM »
I finished up my starting forces today (may throw together another few Robotech mechs and I'm sitting on two more starter boxes --- I gave in and ordered a set of plastics simply to get a Victor).

The Robotech models fit, though a bit large.  They're not over-towering or anything.  The Valkyries are way too tall to serve as 20 ton scout mechs, the Glaug is waaay too big for a Marauder.  I haven't decided on whether the Super Veritech and Armored Veritechs will serve reasonably as Phoenix Hawks and Crusaders.

I was a bit sad to realize the starter box is very light on the light mechs.  I may raid my other starter boxes for their light mechs.  I was debating selling off my other boxes or using the mechs.  If anyone wants some Battletech hex map cards, let me know!  Test mech cards have been ordered, and I grabbed a set of Ruinscape card buildings to add to the terrain.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:27:02 AM by Elbows »
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Dementation

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 09:30:13 AM »
A great set of minis, lovely paintjobs! I hope to see them in action soon!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 11:48:13 PM »
Updates...

Got my test cards back really quick from The Gamecrafter.  I've already decided on a few subtle changes (target numbers will be coloured to represent class - this colour will match the command dice for activations).

Gathered some artwork and I'm starting on the strategy deck.  The Strategy Deck will be the deck which controls all of the non-mech related elements in the game.  Cards will be determined by mission conditions, your commander's ability, and cards will be drawn during the game (trying to decide when).

Cards will represent various types of events: Aerospace, Logistics, Command, Mechwarrior, Event, Infantry, etc.  Cards will be played on the player's turn.  Some will be "buffs" so to speak, others will be direct attacks, some will be additions to your mechs, or penalties to the opponent's mechs.  This will cover the "other" aspects of Battletech without the need to build supply convoys, infantry bases, aerospace fighters (because it's a little silly to have a fighter on the board when it would be moving 300+ kilometers per hour in the engagement).

Many cards will be based on terrain features, so certain types of terrain will be more dangerous.  Infantry attacks will be based out of structures or wooded areas...so a mech wandering into a city will face added danger.  Machine guns and flamers on mechs are used to counter infantry cards.  A big lumbering mech like the Awesome will suffer as he has no anti-infantry weapons.

Aerospace attacks will be hindered by a mech's proximity to terrain elements taller than himself.  So, a mech may "hide" from Aerospace attacks in a city or near large rocky outcrops --- increasing his target number vs. aerial attacks.

I have some Dropzone Commander card buildings on the way, so once I get some more test cards printed I'll probably run a test game or two with Audrey or some other friends.  I'll post some battle reports.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:27:39 AM by Elbows »

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 02:03:40 AM »
Breathtaking.
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 02:36:46 AM »
I've revamped the cards a bit - as seen here, Heavy mechs (Target number 3) have a yellow circle --- this matches the yellow on the activation dice, making it easier to visualize.

Making up these cards I realized how completely shite the Rifleman and Jagermech are.  Luckily the "fluff" indicates they're both excellent anti-aircraft mechs, so I gave them special rules to neutralize Aerospace cards.  This gives a player some purpose to actually field these garbage mechs.  (also, using mech cards, it is possible to play this game by drawing mechs randomly).

EDIT: Cards started below.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:35:51 PM by Elbows »

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 02:51:35 PM »
Fantastic stuff man. Looks so much better than the ones used for the 'real game'.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Dementation

• Assistant
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 06:16:10 PM »
Really nice cards, they are pretty and convienient to boot!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 06:19:33 PM »
Very nice - as are the paint jobs too, by the way  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 11:12:39 PM »
I'm anxious to give this a play...but now I can't try it without my strategy cards.  I'll have some teasers of those up by the end of the weekend I'm sure.  I'm probably going to throw together the other four Robotech mechs I gave up for the project (sacrificed eight of my Robotech destroids).  Trying to decide if I should open up my other starter boxes or not...I don't want hundreds of mechs, but I want a few more choices per side.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2015, 04:42:40 PM »
EDIT: Going to post all of the cards here by class...

3025 ASSAULT MECHS

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:44:19 PM by Elbows »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 06:23:37 PM »
3025 HEAVY MECHS

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:07:40 AM by Elbows »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Elbows plays Battletech (Mech cards, page 2)
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 06:45:54 PM »
3025 MEDIUM MECHS

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:45:41 PM by Elbows »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 02:06:30 AM »
3025 LIGHT MECHS

So, I was sitting there twiddling some Dougram gashapon figures around in my fingers...when I decided to take two Griffin models and turn them into...as close as I could manage, Thunderbolts.

Then, as I opened my other two starter boxes for Battletech, I decided to try a Battlemaster again (but one which isn't taller/bigger than an Atlas).  I cut a Zeus in half, and stole some gashapon arms and cobbled it all together.  The end result I was pretty happy with (more the Thunderbolts than the Battlemaster).

These two mechs happen to be some of my very favourite mechs so I couldn't fathom having the game without them.

Only thing I didn't have was a suitable add-on for the medium lasers.  

I wasn't wholly convinced when I had them scratched together.  I wasn't sure they'd say "Thunderbolt" when you looked at them.

Battlemaster which is more in keeping with the original (the "new" one is bloody terrible)

Much better!  I think the Thunderbolts look pretty good, and the Battlemaster is just passable enough that I feel sated now.  I don't think I'll sacrifice another Zeus (I have one left, and one more Battlemaster kit).  
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:16:32 AM by Elbows »

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
    • Small Scale Operations Blog, my wargaming blog
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 07:45:08 PM »
Very nice. Thunderbolt also has always been one of my favourites.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 07:52:56 PM »
They exist in Gashapon figures...but I haven't been able to find them or get my hands on them.

...and just for grins I just checked and they're available now!  GAAAAAAAWWWWWDDD DAMMIT!  lol  Maybe worth checking the scale on these.