Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:31:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fallgrave?  (Read 4231 times)

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Fallgrave?
« on: July 28, 2015, 03:19:18 AM »
I was wondering how many of you will model your miniatures and terrain with snow.  Will you simply use existing figures and terrain, or will you perhaps theme it as something else entirely?

I used to just do standard bases and terrain, but Frostgrave made me more heavily consider other types of themes.  In particular, I was thinking of an Autumn theme.  I did a search and found some awesome autumn terrain with orange, red, and yellow trees and foliage, and fallen leaves.

Of course, the possibilities are endless.  There's room for swamp themes, spring themes, desert themes, etc.

Offline grendal

• Bookworm
Re: Fallgrave?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 03:36:16 AM »
I figure Frostgrave is
A) bigger on the inside than on the outside
and
B) weirder on the inside:)

open a door to a tower and a whole new land appears beyond the door…dry and hot Desert.
Set camp next to some ruins and wake up next to a lake…
etc, etc

so having the terrain you are talking about would be fine I think...heck if could be the "Elven Quarter" and look like Rivendell ;)

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:51:22 AM »
I figure Frostgrave is
A) bigger on the inside than on the outside
and
B) weirder on the inside:)

There are rumours of an artefact known as the Box of Tom'Bakr that has exactly this effect...

open a door to a tower and a whole new land appears beyond the door…dry and hot Desert.

Perfectly plausible. I might be inclined to add in some rather mean rules to represent models not coming equipped for hot weather.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:21:15 AM »
I'm going for a slightly more thawed out Frostgrave...no snow. I want to be able to use my figs and buildings for other games, too.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:37:03 AM »
Somewhere else someone reminded, when I was contemplating wether to go for frost- or warmgrave with my collection, me that Frostgrave is a WIZARD city, first and foremost, and that it would actually be quite likely for the city to have different biomes inside due to weird wizard sheenanigans.

I think I'll go for mostly snow terrain, though I am not entirely decided yet, but try and make a zone or two of different climatic terrain, where I can use my existing collection. Perhaps theres a dense 20 metres of jungle circled by strange-looking obelisks, or a swamp next to the frozen aqueducts.

Really gets the mind going with ideas, I think.

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 07:38:12 AM »
I'm going for a slightly more thawed out Frostgrave...no snow. I want to be able to use my figs and buildings for other games, too.

This. I'll be basing mine with cracked, stained flagstone.

Offline Calmdown

• Librarian
  • Wordy
    • Bad Karma
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 08:09:33 AM »
There are rumours of an artefact known as the Box of Tom'Bakr that has exactly this effect

Haha. Someome got it :)
Frostgrave blog and downloads: www.bad-barma.net (click me!)

Hey Frostgrave fans! Click to join us on Facebook!

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 08:14:29 AM »
Mine is going to be Sandgrave, because I have lots of Aegyptian terrain from playing Wargods. I figure that the winter theme is fluffy rather than integral to the game, so it really doesn't matter how the city got buried or how it was found again.
The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.

Offline blackfly

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 01:59:12 AM »
LushGrave for me.

Or something similar. I'm not rebasing all my exant ruins with flowers and moss and ivy on them.

The wizards and warbands will just have to adapt to the existing climate. :)

Offline Awesomeshotdude

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 02:06:20 AM »
I'm making my terrain Frostgrave specific, with lots of snow settled on the terrain, however my miniature bases will be plain flagstone, so I can multi-purpose them across a few games.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 04:19:04 AM »
I will probably go with the cold snowy theme.  Our D&D campaign seems to be spending more and more time in the northern mountains, so snowy terrain can do double duty for us.

Some of the new terrain GW is releasing for Age of Sigmar should work very well for Frostgrave, by the way - they are going for a very arcane look, but with far fewer skulls than before (more snakes and dragons, though). 

-Michael

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 01:48:35 PM »
I haven't got the storage space for specific snow covered terrain, so my games are very much Forestgrave (with the odd WW2 ruined building alongside my Warhammer ruined buildings) or dungeon crawls.

Offline bookim40

• Lurker
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 02:50:58 AM »
I don't have the rule book yet but I thought I read somewhere that Frostgrave's winter is now behind it. My terrain will be a combo of some snow but mostly standing water puddles, mud and maybe just the first sign of spring.

Offline Kealios

• Bookworm
    • My wargaming blog
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 04:33:29 AM »
I use Heroic Maps from DrivethroughRPG. I am hoping they come out with some winter terrain mats for this - I'm a little surprised they missed this whole winter thing.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 12:20:45 PM »
....open a door to a tower and a whole new land appears beyond the door…dry and hot Desert.
Set camp next to some ruins and wake up next to a lake…
etc, etc

I do like this idea, especially for a campaign. In one game howeve it does have the drawback of effectively requiring two separate set-ups. But it would make a great game to be playing in different, linked, dimensions. I am reminded of C.S. Lewis's "Magicians Nephew". As I recall the heroes pass into a kind of gateway dimension with many pools. Through the pools many different dimensions could be accessed. This was a prequel to "The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe". It's got me thinking, so thanks for that!