Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:28:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697703
  • Total Topics: 118854
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 522
Total: 527

Recent

Author Topic: First play of strange Aeons (1st ed)  (Read 8016 times)

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
First play of strange Aeons (1st ed)
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:59:05 AM »
Played a game of SA with my son last night and I'm left with mixed feelings. We both love the set up, the idea of the threshold is great and we started talking about co-op play against the lurkers.
The game play basics are very simple which is good and we both like the character generation.
The way turns work isn't explained very well. We got it by reading the example of play, but in the rules its not obvious that you can keep choosing the same figure over and over.
The process to pass a resolve test isn't explained. It tells you when to take a test and what happens after but not how to. We worked it out using the example of play but it stopped the game dead. Not a major problem though.
I'm really not convinced about the command skill. Last night the hive mind Threshold character and his drones tore the lurkers to pieces in short order. Even when one zombie got into HtH we found he couldn't hurt the agent (in light armour).
Zombies seem overpriced compared with agents.
Last night we had a character with Light armour and 2 agents with Light armour, a shotgun and a 45. The lurker had a cult leader, a cultist and 3 zombies.
3 zombies in their rags cost the same as 2 heavily armed and armoured agents. Its no contest.
I'm not points obsessed, I prefer scenarios but these do seem well out of wack.
I think I'm going to play again tonight and reduce command to being able to influence only one other figure and reduce the cost of the zombies to 1.5BP each. I'll also reduce the constitution of all humans to 5.
Anyway, love the concept.

Offline Hunter776

• Bookworm
Re: First play of strange Aeons (1st ed)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 03:50:57 AM »
I find the Second Edition rules much more clear and understandable, even without resort to examples of play (although they're present as well). I strongly recommend your trying them out before you make any final decisions on the system. Lots more fun options, as well.

I would imagine they'll be available on the site in about a month or so.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 04:04:23 AM »
I find the Second Edition rules much more clear and understandable, even without resort to examples of play (although they're present as well). I strongly recommend your trying them out before you make any final decisions on the system. Lots more fun options, as well.

I would imagine they'll be available on the site in about a month or so.

I agree, 2nd adds many elements and balances a great deal of stuff.

Also, to give the zombies ab it more umph, arm them next time!

I will say that it sounds like it was a tough as nails team, but also a very small one. While lower level lurkers are a bit easier to beat some of the other ones above could be easy to trounce the Threshold team at higher levels and give them a run for their money.  Plus it is all about the choices you make for the lurkers, really with zombies the mad scientist is great, cluster all the zombies near him early on, pump up a few of the boys and send them to town! Nothing more fightful in a low point game for one to be come a construct and a few super zombies juiced up....
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 07:28:54 AM »
I like the system and the background, my point was that to pick 2 sides that are equal in points and have one side decimate the other doesn't always go down well.
I'll certainly pick up the 2nd Ed.

Offline Kes

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 08:38:30 AM »
Waiting eagerly for 2nd edition to show up, working through my pile of Fenris' Cthullhu figures to battle.

How big a table does it need - 2'x2' or 3'x3'?

Offline Banderium

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 08:55:09 AM »
How big a table does it need - 2'x2' or 3'x3'?

2'x3'

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 03:29:34 AM »
2nd is night and day to the old rules....

Offline Hunter776

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 05:38:36 AM »
I agree with you styx. I am awaiting some new terrain additions in a day or two, and as soon as they get here, 2d ed. will be on the table.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 12:00:14 AM »
Yep already plotting out future scenery and stuff I am finishing up like the steam boat and the graveyard I did already!

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 10:02:44 PM »
Also, to give the zombies ab it more umph, arm them next time!

I will say that it sounds like it was a tough as nails team, but also a very small one. While lower level lurkers are a bit easier to beat some of the other ones above could be easy to trounce the Threshold team at higher levels and give them a run for their money.  Plus it is all about the choices you make for the lurkers, really with zombies the mad scientist is great, cluster all the zombies near him early on, pump up a few of the boys and send them to town! Nothing more fightful in a low point game for one to be come a construct and a few super zombies juiced up....

No, sorry. I'm going to have to call this. I've just spent an hour reading the rules. Where is the mad scientist? Also if I take a single conglomerate for 8 bps that's 3 zombies, doesn't seem to balance. Plus if I have to arm the zombies then they cost more and the agents get a basic weapon for free! Not looking for a fight, I'm just not sold on 'you should of'. Anyway ill 

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 04:07:45 AM »
No, sorry. I'm going to have to call this. I've just spent an hour reading the rules. Where is the mad scientist? Also if I take a single conglomerate for 8 bps that's 3 zombies, doesn't seem to balance. Plus if I have to arm the zombies then they cost more and the agents get a basic weapon for free! Not looking for a fight, I'm just not sold on 'you should of'. Anyway ill 

*laugh* That's cool man, it just hit me you may not have a copy of Morbid Adventures that has the above mentioned gent in it! It adds a huge lot of extra lurkers and some new options to the game in weapons as well.

As I said before 2nd Ed I think tackled the weaker points of the Lurkers and it also combines all the Morbid Adventure items in it plus much more....As a veteran player I had to check myself and catch you just have the basic book for now until the new edition is released...

A Mad Scientist runs 6, buy a few zombies add the bonus command (to activate an additional figure), then you start all the zombies base with him. He has a rule that lets him inject the zombies with a serum, they can turn into super zombies or upgrade in the game for free to a blastamous constuct for free....thus can really shift the field of power in a game.

Offline Klener Zorn

• Scientist
    • Zorns Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 03:37:32 PM »
You can also download the Mad Scientist rules ( plus some other additional rules) on the Strange Aeons webpage
http://strange-aeons.ca/sa/?page_id=23

i also wrote a game report on a game i played using the mad scientist
https://kleinerzorn.wordpress.com/2014/06/27/strange-aeons-game-report-2/

you can also read my other game reports here
https://kleinerzorn.wordpress.com/tag/game-report/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:43:46 PM by Klener Zorn »

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »
Thanks for the post! I thought about that the links should be up on the website later today....

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 03:35:03 AM »
Awesome blog Klener Zorn. Love your Gormti conversions.

Offline Klener Zorn

• Scientist
    • Zorns Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 11:14:58 PM »
Awesome blog Klener Zorn. Love your Gormti conversions.

thanks