Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:46:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Soldiers of Frostgrave (boxset)  (Read 14127 times)

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
Re: Soldiers of Frostgrave (boxset)
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 04:14:24 PM »
They are small when compared to GW, otherworld and reaper. But they fit great with old citadel, fantasy warriors, and most historical ranges.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 04:52:43 PM »
It's an old quote, but you can't please all the people all the time.

I'm very happy that a lot of people like our Soldiers, they took a lot of time to design so it's great people appreciate that. The split torsos was a choice we could have gone either way with, so apologies to those who preferred us to go the other way.

I've heard they are too small for some people. In all honesty, I'm not sure what figures you have that our plastics are too small to go with, but what I can say is whatever figures they are, they were nothing we considered in the design process so this isn't the range for you.

Equally, we chose to put the plastic base on the figures as a design choice. If it's not for you, then I refer to my opening statement.

Honestly, the Frostgrave Soldiers kit was one of the factors that made me look into Frostgrave, which I kept seeing mentioned at Warseer and DakkaDakka.  As a Warhammer Fantasy player, I was left scratching my head with the Age of Sigmar release and was more open to alternatives, since my Empire army is more or less complete.  My father and primary opponent purchased the Age of Sigmar boxed set, so I started assembling the finely detailed Stormcast Eternals.  Nothing bad can be said of the miniature quality, but the aesthetic wasn't appealing and sometimes a model can be too detailed and fiddly.

The Frostgrave Soldiers are refreshing since they allow for customization but won't require as much cleaning and assembly time.  I'm actually glad that they were sculpted with single torsos and legs.  I used to like extreme customization, but at this point in my life I just want to paint the model and play the damned game, rather than dealing with single figures composed of 129 pieces for a basic human foot soldier.

I also like that they have a generic fantasy aesthetic for the most part.  I don't think that GW has a generic hooded head in their entire fantasy range (only some elves and deformed Bretonnians - I had to use 40K Dark Angel Terminator heads).  My only real criticism is that there should have been more left-handed weapons, since some of the pieces, such as the right arm with the pointing finger does not have a normal hand weapon to complement it, but it isn't the end of the world.

Regarding the bases, was the intent to play Frostgrave using only the integral bases, or are they supposed to use the Renedra round bases?  I know it technically does not matter, but it seems odd that they come with round bases but all of the photos within the rulebook shows the models on the integral bases.

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 05:07:25 PM »
Honestly, the Frostgrave Soldiers kit was one of the factors that made me look into Frostgrave

Same here. Love them!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 06:09:25 PM »
Nick, I have my hands on the figures, and I think they look great!

My comments about separate torsos and legs was not so much a criticism of the current set as wishlisting for the next set!

-Michael

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 06:16:20 PM »
Nick, my main man, brother from anotha motha...amigo...how about a mounted version of a few. Ya know a horse or 3 and a mounted version of the foot guys. even if there's no Frostgrave rules for them. Im sure they will still sell for use with other systems...Your multi figure sets are the cows teats...all four of them... or is it one teat and 4 nipples...anyway I digress, great figures...

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 06:28:40 PM »
Nick, I have my hands on the figures, and I think they look great!

My comments about separate torsos and legs was not so much a criticism of the current set as wishlisting for the next set!

-Michael

My wishlist is for a smaller, wizard kit.  I could see four different torsos with a variety of weapons, heads, scrolls, staves, etc.  That would be great.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 07:00:31 PM »
I think I should talk about the world we're from.  :) The North Star warehouse has boxes of plastic Perry, Warlord, Gripping Beast, Fireforge, Agema and Victrix on the shelf. All these figures are on integral bases with extra bases included in the box. We were just following suit. We don't give GW and the like a second thought, can you believe that? Frostgrave was playtested with Fireforge figures as henchmen.

This is why I was reading comments about slotta bases and small figures with raised eyebrows. Come to my world boys, it won't cost you a fraction of the price you're paying for your hobby.

In answer to whether you can use integral bases for the game, of course. Thats why the figures are photographed in the book like they are. The round bases from Renedra are included for personal taste, use them or not.

Mounted? Not at first as the author talks about Frostgrave not being an environment for mounted figures. But as the world expands we could look into it.

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 07:40:29 PM »
Mounted versions of frostgrave soldiers would be really nice down the road. Maybe for a frostgrave/dragon rampant crossover

Offline darthgus

• Assistant
    • Hobbyists Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 07:45:18 PM »
Hi Nick,

I get that you have made design choices, I have no problem with that.

My initial reaction (and the start of this thread) was as a result of first contact with the contents of the box. Since then I have to admit they are growing on me quite a lot. No, I don't like integral bases, but as I also mentioned the plastic you used makes it easy to remove them... so thanks for that. It is not that I love slota bases, its that I like to mount the model on a base that I've styled myself to suit the warband theme.

I was worried that the models might be to chunky (I'm mostly form the Rackham / Corvus Belli school of miniature proportion), but again I'm please to say they feel right for the game and the heavy cold weather clothing.

Every day I work with these models I like them more than the day before. I think that is testament to your skill and attention to detail when you produced them. I'd like to thank you for that.

Offline DancesWithHippos

• Librarian
    • Blog!
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 08:32:17 PM »
But as the world expands we could look into it.

I just peed a little.

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 09:05:03 PM »
and what happened when you got your "peep" on?

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 09:24:06 PM »
I just peed a little.

Whether mounted units are introduced into Frostgrave depends on how the release goes.

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 10:41:23 PM »
Well then with all the "Frostgrave" traffic on this and other forums...giddy-up...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 12:37:52 AM »

An option might be to try combining them with Fireforge Foot Sergeants? It involves buying yet more models ( ::) ) but should give you the extra variety you're missing. I understand from others that the two boxes are a very good match scale-wise.

I am pretty sure that some of the Frostgrave soldiers are the same basic sculpts as some of the Foot Sergeants, just with themed stuff added 'on top' (I just compared some of the minis earlier today, as I am starting to do a deviant variation of a Thaumaturge warband).

I also read somewhere, that it is the same sculptor.

Come to my world boys, it won't cost you a fraction of the price you're paying for your hobby.

Been arguing that for years 'round here. VERY hard to get people to listen.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:47:06 AM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 03:31:10 AM »
I am pretty sure that some of the Frostgrave soldiers are the same basic sculpts as some of the Foot Sergeants, just with themed stuff added 'on top' (I just compared some of the minis earlier today, as I am starting to do a deviant variation of a Thaumaturge warband).

I also read somewhere, that it is the same sculptor.

Been arguing that for years 'round here. VERY hard to get people to listen.

What do you mean by deviant variation of a Thaumaturge?  Please share.