Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:17:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690456
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Using Frostgrave for Star Wars???  (Read 6219 times)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
Using Frostgrave for Star Wars???
« on: July 29, 2015, 04:38:27 PM »
We were playing Frostgrave the other night and someone jokingly called an apprentice a Padawan. This then led to a discussion about using Frostgrave for Star Wars.
Replace the Wizard/Apprentice dynamic with a Jedi/Padawan or Sith/Apprentice and it's not so far fetched.

Having a quick browse through the spell book identified spells that could simulate 'Force' powers. Using Chronomancer as the wizard school, we got this list.
Chronomancer - Petrify, Time Store, Fast Act
Elementist - Elemental Bolt (Force lightning?)
Sigilist - Push
Soothsayer - Mind Control
Summoner - Leap

And one other.

Ideally we would like Enchanter - Telekinesis in the mix but the Enchanter school is opposed to the Chronomancer school. For the Sith/Darkside, we looked at adding Necromancer - Strike Dead (Vader choke anyone?).

For warbands:

Clone Wars era
Jedi & Padawan (200 gc),
Use Ranger profile for Clone Commander (100 gc),
Use Tracker profile for Clone Troopers - 2 (@ 80 gc each),
Use Thief profile for a droid - 2 (@ 20 gc each).

Sith Lord & Apprentice (200 gc)
Use Archer profile for Battle Droids - 6 (@ 50 gc each) in warband.

Original Trilogy
Jedi & Padawan (200 gc).
Got some thoughts around the warband members as this really could vary. You could have rebel troopers or something different depending on how many non-blaster armed figures you might have. That way you could be a rogue Jedi group (like in Rebels) or be a small Rebel hit squad.

Eg use the Barbarian profile for a Wookie, Thug profiles for Ewoks?

Sith Lord & Apprentice (200 gc)
Use the Tracker profile for Stormtroopers - 3 (@ 80 gc each),
Use Archer profile for Imperial Officer - 1 (@ 50 gc),
Use War Hound Profile for a droid - 1 (@ 10 gc).

What d'ya think?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: Using Frostgrave for Star Wars???
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 04:50:35 PM »
Sounds great! I'm already considering playing frostgrave with my 40k inq28 miniatures,  if seems like with some simple changes in wording it can really be used for anything! (Also, star wars vs 40k battles)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 05:17:35 PM »
I think it could work - you'd probably want to start with higher level wizards. It seems to me that Jedi should have higher Fight and Health than starting wizards.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 05:29:49 PM »
@ nozza_uk

Pipped to the post by joe5mc! But yes, as long as they have a bit more Fight and skill wielding the powers, I reckon it'd work rather well. :)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 05:42:39 PM »
What about making the wizards Level 10? Adding +5 to Fight and +5 to Health. Would that work. My only concern is that this would max out the fight value too early.

Offline darthgus

• Assistant
    • Hobbyists Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 05:46:57 PM »
I think it could work - you'd probably want to start with higher level wizards. It seems to me that Jedi should have higher Fight and Health than starting wizards.

Higher Fight yes, but not health. Instead make them more enduring by increasing Armour. Add a special rule for lightsabers that cause instant death or +10 damage or something to reflect a failed defence is equal to being dead.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 07:43:13 AM »
Add a special rule for lightsabers that cause instant death or +10 damage or something to reflect a failed defence is equal to being dead.

Or, just apply the critical hit rule for lightsabers and not for any other weapon - sometimes hands are cut off, after all!
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 08:20:33 AM »
Or, just apply the critical hit rule for lightsabers and not for any other weapon - sometimes hands are cut off, after all!

Or have Lightsabers crit on a 16+, making them as deadly as the should be and still allowing the odd lucky shot for everyone else

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 08:29:48 AM »
I wonder if Lightsabres should just be treated as a Magic Weapon instead? Keeps it "within the rules" and is easy to tweak whilst still allowing the opportunity for a model to be disarmed etc.

I also think that a few spells could be swapped out for some of the more iconic Force powers/Jedi skills - like deflect bolt or throw Lightsabre.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 09:32:52 AM »
My gut feeling was that Lightsabres should be treated as a Magic Weapon as well. Also, it's been established that certain types of armour are Lightsaber proof. The latest being the Vadar/Kanan fight in episode 1 of Rebels season 2, where Vadar scores a hit on Kanan, only to scratch his shoulder armour.

I think increasing the initial Fight rating would be the way to go, but I do like the idea of lowering the Critical Hit threshold.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 10:03:06 AM »
Hmm, that's sound very exiting.
I read some very positive reviews of the Frostgrave rules, but have to admit that I lost a bit of interest in any Fantasy setting.

Are there any SF settings planned for the Frostgrave ruleset?
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 10:12:12 AM »
Another thing would be to just come up with your own "Force schools", and completely re-stat starting Force users and apprentices, perhaps giving them a couple of mandatory starting powers according to which "school" they choose.

Then, aside from adding in a couple of extra ranged weapon profiles to better represent blasters (I'd maybe consider a pistol and a big gun of some sort), I'd use the rest of the game as-is.

I honestly think that would probably give you the best chance of creating a "proper" Jedi/Sith character and their warband. I know that "best fit" is appealing, and that a lot of Frostgrave would work as-is; however, I reckon that having a squishy non-combat wizard is not the best starting point and changing that will likely have a knock-on effect anyway.

You could also set it in the KOTOR era if you like, as weapons like vibroblades and cortosis-weave duelling blades were used more commonly, and would better represent starting weapons I think; the Lightsabre could then be a magic weapon "upgrade" later on.

Some rough "schools" could be:

Combat-focused
  • Jedi Guardian (light/neutral)
  • Jedi Weapon Master (light paragon)
  • Sith Marauder (dark side)

Balanced
  • Grey Jedi (neutral)
  • Jedi Sentinel (light/neutral)
  • Jedi Watchman (light paragon)
  • Sith Assassin (dark side)

Acadamic (i.e., "mages")
  • Jedi Consular (light/neutral)
  • Jedi Master (light paragon)
  • Sith Lord (dark side)

You would then be able to align them simply enough, and transfer over suitable spells (or make new Force powers) for them accordingly.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:14:05 AM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 11:23:16 AM »
Jedi go down to gun fire just like everyone else, it's just far harder to hit them. I'd give them the +5 to fight but not health (thinking one off generic games, for a campaign where your Jedi progresses in stats it would need more tweaking).

The important rules tweak in my opinion would be light sabre blaster deflection. A simple tweak in my mind, defensive deflection is already covered by them having a high fight value, the shooter doesn't necessarily miss, the blasts just don't get through. Bouncing the blast back could be handled two ways:

A) the shooter takes a shot at the Jedi as normal, modifying for the terrain etc. Roll as normal, if the Jedi wins the roll, the short is bounced back. Make a shooting roll from the Jedi to the original shooter as normal.
If you want to make the Jedi really powerful then don't do a shooting roll, just use the score from their original roll which is based off their fight and is probably high anyway after beating the last dice roll.

B) the shooter aims a shot at the Jedi, the Jedi declares they will bounce the shot. Disregard cover between them as the Jedi squares off to the shot, treat it in the same manner as a combat so the highest roller does damage to the other, shoot vs fight. The reason to disregard cover is because otherwise the Jedi gets a massive bonus which isn't returned.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 11:43:26 AM »
@ Dewbakuk:

I guess it does depend on:

- Whether you want the Jedi (and Padawan?) to begin with  lightsabre or not

- Whether the ability to deflect blaster bolts is unique to a Force-user wielding a lightsabre, or whether it can be done with any "resistant" hand weapon like a Cortosis-weave vibroblade.

- Whether the ability to direct deflected blaster bolts is a Force power in it's own right

I suppose you *could* also have rules for the three main lightsabre types (single, paired, staff), but I don't know how much that would add to the game necessarily.

There are also magic items in the book so far like a Robe that turns arrows which could be translated nicely over to represent the difficulty in hitting the Jedi with a ranged shot.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »
All my opinion of course, but...

@ Dewbakuk:

I guess it does depend on:

- Whether you want the Jedi (and Padawan?) to begin with  lightsabre or not

As I said, I was mostly thinking of one off games but a Jedi should definately have a light sabre, as should a Padawan who has reached the stage in training where they are off wandering the galaxy with their master and not sat in a temple training.

- Whether the ability to deflect blaster bolts is unique to a Force-user wielding a lightsabre, or whether it can be done with any "resistant" hand weapon like a Cortosis-weave vibroblade.

Force users only.

- Whether the ability to direct deflected blaster bolts is a Force power in it's own right

Definately a force power but I've never seen a trained force user that can't do it so I wouldn't count it as a spell. In a campaign you might have it cost the Padawan a level to do it. It's kind of the default training item in all Star Wars stuff.

I wouldn't add a distinction between the light sabres myself. Just count it as personal styles.