Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:36:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Using Frostgrave for Star Wars???  (Read 6174 times)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
Re: Using Frostgrave for Star Wars??? UPDATED Had a Play Test 10/08/15
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 11:11:38 AM »
Had a test play of using Frostgrave in Star Wars setting last night.

Here's the board.

The Sith Master advanced. This was the first action that felt like Star Wars. The Sith Master cast 'Leap' as his first action and then moved for his second action. Probably didn't help that I was humming 'Duel of the Fates' and making lightsaber noises. The R2 was a treasure token.

The Sith Apprentice encounters the Jedi Master. Again, the droid in the picture was a treasure token.

The Sith Master had initiative and cast 'Elemental Lightning' (Force Lightning) at the Padawan. Unfortunately, for the Padawan, a critical hit was rolled and it was goodbye Padawan - there's nothing like the power of the darkside!

This is where things turned decidedly unStar Wars like. A lowly Rebel thug engaged the Sith Master and inflicted 10 points of damage. These two would continue fighting the next turn with the Sith Master being defeated.

The Stormtroopers advanced into the marketplace. We used the Marksman profile for the Stormtroopers to reflect their shooting ability and armour. Stormtroopers proved to be surprisingly durable despite their limited numbers. In the distance, the first creature (using the wolf profile) appeared on the roof of a building.

The Sith Apprentice decisively engaged the Gamorrean (using the Barbarian profile) cutting him down in one fell swoop. Meanwhile, the Jedi Master fought the Stormtroopers suffering damage for his efforts.

Two more creatures had spawned. They headed straight toward the Rebel thugs, managing to inflict some serious damage.

Meanwhile, another Rebel thug managed to take out a creature. The Rebel player thought this thug had a treasure token sown up. However, in true dramatic style, the Sith Apprentice successfully used 'Leap' and leapt in front of the thug, before moving into contact for combat next turn. The next turn, saw the Sith Apprentice slay the Rebel thug.

It was beginning to look easy for the Empire. Although, the Rebels had two treasure tokens off the board, the Empire was systematically eliminating the Rebel forces. With one Thug left and four treasure tokens left, it looked slim for the Rebels. However, what changed the balance of the game, was that the two remaining creatures (using the Leopard and Werewolf profiles respectively) spied the Stormtroopers. Whilst the last Rebel thug headed off the board, the creatures slayed two Stormtroopers and the Sith Apprentice. A sudden change of plan saw the Rebel thug turnaround and eventually take out the remaining Stormtrooper (down to one health and one action). The Rebels won the six treasure tokens.

The test play showed that it is possible to use Frostgrave for Star Wars. However, our play highlighted a few tweaks we need to make before embarking on a campaign.
  • We used the Critical Hits optional rule for everyone. With hindsight, Critical Hits should only be available to Force Users.
  • We need to increase the Force users fight. Initially things looked promising, but soon the Force users were being made to look decidedly average. We used to the Frostgrave default of +2 fight plus a Lightsaber bonus of +2 fight thinking this would be enough. However, this only put them on a par with a Barbarian. We're thinking +5 fight for force users, but only playtesting will tell.
  • It was very hard for Force users to actually use the Force - other than multiple 'Leaps', the other successful spells were 'Push' and 'Elemental Lightning'. Both Sith and Jedi are using the Chronomancer template as their starting point and we used the penalties for using Aligned, Neutral and Opposed spells. By removing the penalties, we might see more demonstrations of the Force being used. For example, the Sith could use 'Strike Dead' on an 18 as opposed to the 20 as it stands.
  • Lastly, we are going to introduce turn limits. Current thinking is a max of 6 turns and you only earn treasure that leaves the board.

Anyway, that was our first testplay. I think we need to have at least another one to try and solve the Force users Fight ability - however, there's only so much you can do when you roll a string of 2s.  ;)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 11:27:19 AM »
Duplicate posting for some reason. Removed the content.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:42:04 AM by nozza_uk »

Offline tys123

• Assistant
Re: Using Frostgrave for Star Wars???
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 11:39:08 AM »
I would try improving the jedi's armour. The force allows them to avoid the worst hits.

If a barbarian rols a 16 to hit with the +4 fight he is likely to win the fight regardless of whether the jedi has a fight of +2 or +5.
That is 12 hp lost to the jedi.
If you increase their armour to 14 that would reduce the damage they take to 8 instead.

When 2 jedi are fighting it out you really want the battle to last a while. High fight and low armour means it will be over quickly.

I would go for 14 armour for the jedi and 12 for the Padawan.
Also allow the use of levels to increase the armour to a max of 16.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 11:53:46 AM »
That's an idea. Hadn't thought of adjusting the armour value. We just used the default value of 10 for both Master & Apprentice.

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 03:44:03 PM »
I have finally found my Darth Nihilus and Darth Malak miniatures so I can start my own Old Republic warband. I found out that I have plenty of SW miniatures but most of them is not sharing side nor era. :-)

However, I suggest not to make any changes in the Frostgrave system, besides changing names of equipment. My reasoning is as follows:

1) Jedi/Sith=Wizard
I mean, without their special powers they are pretty much the same (from the stats point of view) as ordinary people with similar training. That said, I believe that Stormtrooper sergeant with Ysalamiri on his back, will take Jedi Padawan in a fight quite easily. So the difference is made by the Force, or magic in case of Frostgrave Wizards. There are spells in Frostgrave that work similarily (I even don't think it's coincidence... is it Joe?) to the Force Powers. Examples: Combat Awareness, Leap, Strength, Bone Dart, Push, Fleet Feet, Awareness...
Also, jedi usually don't wear armor! :-)

2) Bow and Crossbow=Blaster Pistol and Rifle
Have you ever noticed, that people with rifles in the Star Wars movies fire from static positions, while with pistols they shoot on the move? How could that be applied on Frostgrave?

http://wargamingasp.blogspot.cz/ - Not entirely serious gaming blog

Offline Dalcor

• Librarian
    • Wargaming ASP Club
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 03:53:50 PM »
That pistols are Bows, and rifles are Crossbows... (-1 shot for movement)

By the way there has to be stormtrooper penalty -20 for shooting :-)

Anyway I like this idea.

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 04:18:56 PM »
That was rhethorical question, bro, but you got me right. Yes, of course Stormtroopers are at -20... "Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise"

Or, I can roll for them :-)