Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:35:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Under an Ashen Sky - The Elder Scrolls in 28mm (Frostgrave)  (Read 60097 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Under an Ashen Sky - The Elder Scrolls in 28mm (Frostgrave)
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2015, 09:23:30 PM »
This week's WIPs. A Redoran Guard (sans his shield) and a Tang Mo mercenary from the far off land of Akavir. Both are just metal armatures with greenstuff on them. The ape head's by Crooked dice.

Oh and the pictures I used for reference if you were wondering. Unfortunately I didn't have a chimp head, so went with the ape one. Nobody complain about an ape having a tail ya hear! ;)

I won't lie, I prefer the Tang Mo of the two. Has more character to him. =P

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2015, 05:28:17 AM »
Great job emulating that Tang Mo artwork. And a badass painting it is.  8)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »
I really love the buildings. More!

Good work on the miniatures too. I didn't realise there were ape-people in Akavir.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2015, 01:09:15 AM »
Excuse the late hour of this post and well the lack of posting this week really. I've been trying to work through as many of those modern Middle Eastern buildings that I've been making for a friend as possible to free up my modelling scedule for the immediate future, so that's cut into my personal time a bit. ...That and I installed the Elder Scrolls Online ...for "research" reasons. =P

I did manage some things on the side of those buildings tonight though. I didn't finish it all, but did come up with this crap.

Here's a third ruin for my Hlaalu town board done. Luckily the painting on these isn't too complex, its being bothered to glue on all that sand which is a chore. No graffiti this time around, because people obviously had something better to do around the time their tagging spree came to this building... Something better to do involving snippy claws perhaps.

And the Tang Mo mercenary. Aye, there's all sorts in the Elder Scrolls world besides humans (considering that it started out as a home brew D&D setting). Akavir namely has tons of beast races, which according to the more recent, albeit fragmented, sources may have had a hand in wiping out/ assimilating the human empire there.

On the plates following what I posted here's a smattering of things, the priority of which is down to what tanks my fancy at the time. An Imperial soldier wearing Newt Scale armour's there. So's an Imperial Treasure Hunter. Besides that I have a stack of Reaper blister packs there to be torn through, and I'll probably be picking up more on Thursday come the local shop restocking. As far as more terrain goes that's up in the air and based on me finding more of that cork, though if that falls through that may be an excuse to finish that Mushroom. Youknow that mushroom which's been sitting there for like a month 90% painted.

Yeah I'm a bit of a dick when it comes to prioritizing. =P

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2015, 10:35:08 AM »
The ruin is really convincing!  :D

The Tang Mo looks great- I wasn't so sure before the paint job, but I've to say it looks awesome now!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2015, 01:27:35 PM »
Japanese monkeys. :D

I was considering making a Samurai style one, but that'd perhaps cross over too much with the human Akaviri and Morrowind's style of Orcish armour. Actually speaking of Orks I may wind up going for the Skyrim style rather than a direct Morrowind one, as I feel that suits them more. However a mix of the two styles on a ragtag looking Orcish bandit may be in order. :)

Blither, waffle... I didn't pick up any cork board this week, so nothing'll be happening on the ruin front. Threat not (that that anyone is), I'll find some other terrain piece of a sorts to throw together. I still have plenty of balsa...

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2015, 02:50:35 PM »
Weekend terrain bash out. Some bits to fill out the gaps between buildings. This is the first lot of market stalls I've slapped together, though I have a few more unpainted and could make some collapsed ones.

Just balsa as ever. Not sure if I'd make ones with cloth as they wouldn't hold up as well as wooden ones. Which is to say a ruined stall which had a cloth cover would just be a couple of sticks standing in the ground in a ruined marketplace (which don't hold up too well being shoved in a terrain box). Oh, there's some street signs in there too, not that anyone cares. ;)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2015, 06:58:28 PM »
Pics & shiz.

I managed the Telvanni mushroom house over the weekend there. In order to merge it with the Hlaalu ruins I'd perhaps stick it in the middle of some ruined walls (along with loose giant mushrooms / roots) as though its been grown over the foundations.

More on that can be found earlier in the thread. Suffice to says its a polystyrene ball covered in milliput.

Besides that, here's a WIP of the next of the Hlaalu ruins (still sans milliput). A guard tower. I'll make another which is the mirror of this and ruined at some point. Design liberties were taken with this as the in-game one is just a solid block with a door at the bottom and a trap door at the roof, the exposed upper section is enclosed, which doesn't seem so interesting for playing with. I cut those bits open and added a signal fire, whilst still hopefully retaining the original look.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2015, 12:57:57 AM »
....still hopefully retaining the original look.

Ithink you succeeded, as i recognised it straight away!!

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2015, 01:45:16 AM »
I really like how solidly constructed your buildings are, very nice fits and clean lines etc.  I assume you just learn this over time by trial and error and practice? Any references you'd recommend?  I am unfortunately an impatient person with sometimes clumsy fingers, but I still love scratch building.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2015, 01:24:00 AM »
@ Hupp n at em
Its typically that I just make a frame and stick the walls and bits over that. Those parts need to have something to stick to, so the end result's pretty solid. ...Which in part's due to me being fairly carefree when it comes to storing my terrain (chuck it all in a box without any foam). So its not that I go into it with the intention of building terrain with any strength, its just how things work out. That and the frames get away as being an extra bit of cheap detail. =P

Sorry folks, I've been dealing with a cold lately. Yup, that'll do as my latest excuse pulled from the bingo machine. :)

This week I threw together a little something to add a bit of diversity to the height of the buildings within the Hlaalu town. A stairway to nowhere...

Its a Silt Strider port based off of a picture I found on DeviantArt. I did take some liberties with that design by removing the canopies, as they'd just be asking to be broken. Still, its interesting to look at, and certainly whenever I get around to bringing all this terrain to my club I'd hope that this weirder looking stuff would make it all stand out (not that all my other terrain isn't different enough already).

And here, have some more image spam. I may come back to this once I buy some more printer ink and add some Elder Scrolls themed posters to it (I have a fetish for posters and graffiti on my terrain if people haven't visited my Fallout blog...).

Right, if you've stuck around this long then ...I donno, lament for those five minutes of your life I've stolen. The guard tower's been undercoated, but I wound up running out of brown paint on this thing, so that'll have to hold back till I can find the time to buy some more. For some reason I buy tons of black paint (and churn through it), but only buy one pot of that particular brown colour at a time. ...I use that same colour for all of my bases and all of this Hlaalu stuff.

Planning!

Aye I'll try and have that painted some time this week. Low chances of anything other than terrain being worked right now, as I'd really like to have something which I can play with by the end of the year. Sorry if that timescale's a bit uninspiring, but well, Fallout's also coming out in like a month. =P

Ciao folks. :D

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2015, 12:57:26 PM »
Looking great!!! Do you think you'll ever add a Silt Strider at some point? 

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2015, 05:15:18 PM »
Ah hell, I let this thing drop onto the third page of this board. Hmn, I wonder what page my (not dead) S.T.A.L.K.E.R. thread has gotten to on the Post-Apocalyptic Tales board...?

@ LordOdo

I have a polysterene ball sitting there which is Silt Strider shaped. If I were to make one it'd probably be dead though. :(

Right, onto the spiel. I had this painted last week, but thought I'd try and buy some ink for my printer so I could add some posters to it. Stuff came up though, so that didn't happen, and there's no point in not posting this for another week. =P

Damn, I forgot to stick the ladders into it! :P

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2015, 10:30:27 PM »
Looks reall great!

Could you take a photo of all your Eldar scrolls stuff at some point?  I guess you got a (small) town already with quite some inhabitants!  :)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2015, 11:56:43 AM »
Could you take a photo of all your Eldar scrolls stuff at some point? 

I support this motion!