Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:22:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Quick questions about Pulp Alley  (Read 10531 times)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
Re: Quick questions about Pulp Alley
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 11:58:47 AM »
I think that if the challenge reads 3 successes with any skill, you can use any skill including shooting and brawling, if you need 3 successes and you rolled 2, you've failed the challenge and take 3 hits.

You are right about Pulp Alley, I've been gaming for 35 years and it is definately my favourite because it is not just meaningless shooting and brawling.
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 07:17:19 PM »
... With Pulp Alley there were a lot a mini-stories around the plot points. Tintin near the dock searching for a encrypted journal and using deductive to help the rest of the crew, prof. Calculus using gagdet x to solve one peril, Snowy fight against a doberman .... it was fun!  :D

My brother (who is a very casual player) told me that he also enjoy the game a lot, he told me something like this "You know, in other games my feelings are that I'm just shooting and fighting, sure I have to take control of some objectives but the action goes around the fight. In this game the action is around the objectives and fighting it's secondary. It's like playing a movie :)".

Also, I have a question about challenges. A card says that I have to roll three successes with any skill or take three hits. 1) Can I use shooting and brawling? Or just might, finesse and cunning?. 2) What happen if I roll two successes? Would I take three hits or just one hit?

Chris is 100% correct. If the card says "Any Skill", then any of the six skills may be used for that challenge -- even Dodge (don't over think it)  lol

Challenges are pass/fail. You either roll the number of successes needed, or you don't. And if you don't, then you take the hits (all of them). We did it this way to make 3x challenges really significant. Otherwise, they got watered down and didn't have the right amount of oomph. If any of that makes sense.  ;)

THANKS so much for playing and sharing Pulp Alley!

HAVE FUN

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 08:11:14 PM »
So only when attempting Plot Points can you carry over successes from a failed attempt?  Also, I thought you only took hits if the challenge was a Peril.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 06:12:42 PM »
So only when attempting Plot Points can you carry over successes from a failed attempt?  Also, I thought you only took hits if the challenge was a Peril.

Yes, you are 100% correct on both points.

Per the long action rule, although you may fail to complete a Plot Point in one roll, any successes you scored will count towards your next attempt.

Yes, I should have clarified that you normally only suffer Hits if the challenge was a peril. You do not normally suffer any hits for failing a Plot Point challenge.

HAVE FUN

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 07:55:28 PM »
I hope it's alright if I ask another simple question. In my planned games I'm looking for some larger casts of savage tribesmen, namesless thugs (who potentially might number around three to four dozen), and who will die in droves and generally make the heroes look good at what they do. I see on the website that your Vice Alley supplement has rules for gangs. Can that supplement help with this issue? Thank you for any guidance!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »
I'm looking for some larger casts of savage tribesmen, namesless thugs (who potentially might number around three to four dozen), and who will die in droves and generally make the heroes look good at what they do. I see on the website that your Vice Alley supplement has rules for gangs. Can that supplement help with this issue? Thank you for any guidance!

Yes indeed! That's exactly what Gangs are intended to represent. Although a Gang activates/moves/fights as if it were a single character it normally starts with 5 models and costs 2 slots (same as a Ally level character).

Personally, the most I've fielded at one time was 8 Gangs - which was 40 models on the table. I lost, but it sure was fun!  lol

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 12:55:32 AM »
Thank you! I might need to make another purchase...

Offline gruulgor

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 11:53:04 AM »
Ok, so with one week delay I've just finished my Pulp Alley report.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to write it in english, also I wanted to write it in Spanish in order to give some cover to the game.

So, here's a link to the spanish forum where I posted it http://www.marcusbeli.es/ElBaluarte/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=30669

More than a battle report it's a small review of the game explaining some rules (combat, intiative, perils, plot points).

I'm going to post some pictures here, if you want the full report just follow the link.

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 04:41:57 PM »
So awesome! Looks like lots of fun.  :D :D

Gruulgor, if you are unfamiliar with my Phantom Agent promo,  please follow the link and find out what it's about. You can earn some cool Pulp Alley freebies....

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 02:15:39 AM »
Well done! THANKS for playing and sharing Pulp Alley!  :D