Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:43:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689603
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Need help choosing a 25/28mm system  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Need help choosing a 25/28mm system
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 11:26:40 PM »
I have had a lot of fun with the Songs of ... series but I would throw a caution in there as it falls down in certain situations. I found it works best with a 'GM' or umpire providing forces and scenarios. It looks like you can do anything you want with the rules and roster builder but it does have limitations. It must be stressed that these limitations do help with balance a little as the system, being so simple (again not a fault in this sense), does not handle certain situations well. It boils down to the age old problem - don't try to make stuff too powerful or it will ruin your fun. There is little enjoyment to be had getting your face pounded by armoured badgers...

Just out of interest, what sort of profiles/traits/situations did you find unbalanced the game? In general, I've found that the outnumbering rules (and concentrated fire) prevent the sort of problems I remember from Warhammer, etc.: the virtually unkillable hero or monster. I've also found that the positives and negatives of the Big trait balance nicely: that ogre warlord may be intimidating, but he's quite easy to shoot!

I know that a lot of people have found that the Savage rule can upset the game (and it's been upgraded to a personality trait in Fightin' Fungi), but my experience has been quite the opposite; my Savage orcs have been routed again and again by my son's stoic (and cold-blooded) lizardmen.

The way I like to play the game is to "design" both (or all) the sides and scenario and let the other player choose. It works quite nicely as a way to have a refereed game without a GM. It also encourages you to pick interesting and model-appropriate traits rather than powerful ones ("That orc looks like a craven bully, so let's give him the Coward trait as well as Dashing ...").

Is the armoured badger the C5 character from Song of the Splintered Lands? I do remember thinking that he looked rather formidable! On the other hand, if he's surrounded by kobolds or goblins, that C number comes tumbling down ...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:43:05 PM by Hobgoblin »