Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:22:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690930
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: thoughts about my will-be-warband  (Read 17395 times)

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • 起O ... gnihihi ...
thoughts about my will-be-warband
« on: August 01, 2015, 10:19:22 AM »
Hi there,

as said, the more I hear & read, the more I like Frostgrave.

Right now, I am thinking about my school. For me that necromance-stuff is off the board, as usual, but I could narrow it a bit to Chronomancer, Sigilist and maybe Witch/Warlord.

I'd like tp play the Sigilist as a Runesmith with my Confro-Dwarfs. Carving runes, not writing some floppy scrolls - baah.

However ... it seems, I am still an apprentice at best. What - please - is Create Grimoire?? Is this simply a way to get gold?
According to the grimoire section it is to lern spells, but then Create Grimoire is for spells I already know, so ... gold-creater?

Also I do not get Write Scroll. What is that scroll for? So that I can use it in the game without making a spell? Is it a somewhat conserved spell ready for use without casting? Good for spells, which have a higher base casting number than Write Scroll? o_o

thanks in advance
DK

best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: thoughts about my will-be-warband
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 10:34:43 AM »
However ... it seems, I am still an apprentice at best. What - please - is Create Grimoire?? Is this simply a way to get gold?
According to the grimoire section it is to lern spells, but then Create Grimoire is for spells I already know, so ... gold-creater?

Pretty much so. You could directly sell the created Grimoire, or in a campaign setting, if you have "allied" bands" and the umpire and players roll with it, pass it over to an allied wizard to "teach" him a spell.

Also I do not get Write Scroll. What is that scroll for? So that I can use it in the game without making a spell? Is it a somewhat conserved spell ready for use without casting? Good for spells, which have a higher base casting number than Write Scroll? o_o

There is a long discussion on the Scrolls complex in the FAQ thread. Long story short, you can use it to create a scroll for selling, or you could use it as a backup: spellcasters who do know a certain spell cannot use a spell to auto-cast it, but they can use it as a failsafe option. If you fail your roll by not meeting the req'd casting number, you can expend the scroll to make it work, albeit with a lesser roll. So you will avoid damage and get the spell to work, but if the target gets a resistance roll, it will be easier.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • 起O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 03:41:22 PM »
Aye, thanks, that clears it a bit. Will check out the FAQ.

I am still thinking about my school - after all, this decision have to be made carefully, it will be a fife time spend on sorcery! ^^
Also, I am trying to fit the school a bit onto my mini.

Maybe I should use Thaumaturge, since I prefer the good side (but that does not mean, that I will not loot graves, tombs, and hidden libraries ... well ... or ruined cities in general, mind you).
My opposite is necromancing then, and knowing my enemy also suits me.
But somehow I cannot bring witchcraft, chronomancy and sigilism together ... oh my. Need further study, since there is no opportunity to play right now, anyway.  :?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 04:35:08 PM »
Heh, damn, I was looking at that create scroll thing as a way to summon in Major Demons without any of the hassle. :)

Though mind that the creatures listed in the book are merely examples. You can count a construct or demon as something else more applicable to your character's background/ alignment if they don't suit you at face value. The same goes for spells in general (in fact I think it says at the start of the spells section that you can call spells whatever you want, as long as your opponent knows the effects).

Oh, and as for sigilism, there's a bit of fluff on one page which says that there's a library somewhere with stone slabs with spells written on them, so there's your justification for using stone rather than paper. ...Though, ah, one is decidedly more portable (hmn, though in a 1000 year ruined city stone's perhaps easier to come by than paper which isn't thread bare).

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • 起O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
that, and if all else fail ... I can still throw my stone-made rune into the face of any creature which cannot otherwise be harmed magical. Do that with paper :D

Yes, I noticed Frostgrave to be very flexible.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 07:50:51 AM »
Heh, damn, I was looking at that create scroll thing as a way to summon in Major Demons without any of the hassle. :)(...)

Well, if you don't know the spell, you can purchase the specific scroll, but at 400gc a pop this is a bit expensive for a minor demon.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • 起O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 08:44:50 PM »
Fresh thoughts about my Frostgravers.

I switched to Thaumaturg.
First, it is the opposite to Necromancer, which I don't like in general, therefore a goog basic and - most important - super fluffical reason.
Then, sigilist - which I originally wanted - is aligned. Soothsayer and Illusionist are not the worst, and aligned as well.
Chronomancer, which is close to necromancing - bad stuff, I tell ya! - is neutral.
So, I am using positive energy, may use Sigilist and other cool stuff and do have to know two spells about Necromancing - knowing Your enemy! Would not learn them of free will (off-game). Brilliant.

Will build a story out of this, perfect.

Best of all, I finally found the simplest reason for my steam-powered dwarfs from Confro. Not really to power their weapons, but to have it warm! In Frostgrave ... see? See?? Hilarious! Love it.

Now, of to the spells.  :D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 01:44:09 AM »
Why should you need to know 2 necromancer spells?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • 起O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 06:51:54 AM »
Oh, You're right, do not need to, just from the neutral ones. All the better. May avoid Necromancy completely.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 07:57:35 AM »
Oh, You're right, do not need to, just from the neutral ones. All the better. May avoid Necromancy completely.

Well, a Thaumaturge cannot choose Necromancy on creation, anyway. Thus, no obligation.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • 起O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »
I realized it was a bit easier to pick the spells, after I had a role, I tried to fit in. I chose a goldseeker and a demonhunter. And with that in mind, I had the spells fairly quick.

Had the idea too, to start the campaign as a aprentice - well, both sides - and build it from that on.
Or in addition, to have a clean profile, and with the results of the first games, let them decide what school your wizard will be. Or at least, let this be a helpful guideline for choosing.
Develop the story and the spells according to the events within the campaign.

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 05:58:03 PM »
Howdy! Just building my first warband as well. I like the Witch & apprentice figures, and since I've never actually played yet, that's a good enough place to start. Here's what I'm thinking, comments appreciated:

Witch
Apprentice
Treasure Hunter
Tracker x2
Thief x2
War Hounds x2

Cheers!
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • 起O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 08:16:17 PM »
Sounds like a list which is quick on foot. You know, that animals cannot pick up treasure? And in addition, You are one man short.
However, I am interested, how it will go with that list.

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 11:14:08 PM »
And in addition, You are one man short.
Witch. You need room for an animal companion (or two). :)

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • 起O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 09:02:03 AM »
Ah, thanks. Right.

I am getting closer and closer to my own troup. The variant of the goldseeker-gang I will - no big surpirse - build with my dwarfs from confro. The demonhunter I am hopefully able to build with my Alahan and Cadwe tribes from them. Need to paint a few more minis, I had in store already, but never had a reason to ... as usual. ^^