Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:38:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First game of Frostgrave, some thoughts  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Magos Kasen

• Bookworm
First game of Frostgrave, some thoughts
« on: August 01, 2015, 12:25:14 PM »
Played my first game of Frostgrave today, and had a blast. Will try and do a proper AAR with pictures later, but in brief - the game did not go as I expected, based on other people's comments. Ranged attacks and fireball wizards did not dominate the field, and in general most models took a few hits to go down. Part of this came down to truly terrible rolls to hit - my Strengthed Templar with +6 fight lost four fights straight with three 1s and died, while my wizard's only notable action was using push to throw my Templar to the other side of the map with a massively successful roll.
Random monsters had a huge impact, as a wraith I had no way of hurting appeared behind my sigilist warband and basically forced me to run into my opponent to get away. In the end, my whole warband killed or fled the field, with a lone treasure token being heroically dragged from the wraith's clutches by a summoned zombie who was MVP.

The game ended with most of my warband, including my wizard, dead, and my opponent only lost two models and won 3-1 on treasure. Yet after rolling post-game (it was a one-off, so it won't really matter, but we wanted to see the results), only two of my warband weren't available next game, both sitting out a match, and I only had ten less gold than my opponent. He grew 2 levels to my none, but I found a new aligned spell grimoire, while he got a bunch of one use potions and scrolls - all in all, it felt like I wasn't far behind, and the gold gave me enough that I could have bought more thugs to make it easier to get treasure away.

In the end, the game was amazing fun, and really gave the feeling of a desperate scramble for loot in a dangerous city!

Offline Awesomeshotdude

• Librarian
Re: First game of Frostgrave, some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 12:37:51 PM »
Sounds like a real fun battle mate! Looking forward to the AAR if you manage to get around to it.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: First game of Frostgrave, some thoughts
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 03:07:36 PM »
Hopefully you jotted down the zombie's name and phone number so you can ring him up next game.

I often find with Mordheim that the post-game rolls for those taken out of action can seriously shift your perception of who won the game!  I expect the same will prove true of Frostgrave.