Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:34:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Terrain for the library and haunted house scenarios?  (Read 9663 times)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Terrain for the library and haunted house scenarios?
« on: August 01, 2015, 02:31:27 PM »
Ok so we need monastic cells for the haunted house and a maze of bookshelves and piles of books for the library. I was thinking some sort of stone 1 room buildings for the cells, like the Grand Manner Pictish huts, but they are way too expensive to be practical. Maybe some sort of one room adobe buildings from various mdf manufacturers?

The library is even more problematic. Battle Systems terrain has some fantasy stuff that's coming out but it's a ways off and would probably be very expensive as well.

I'm curious, what did the author use for these scenarios?

Thanks!

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Re: Terrain for the library and haunted house scenarios?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 09:46:04 PM »
Ok I am going to start to answer my own question here in bits and pieces as I search the Internet:

Thomarillion bookcases are only about 3.5 euro a piece. That means 20 bookcases for not too bad. Still a lot of painting though.

The library deal looks decent too, although still probably not enough for 3x3 board coverage:

http://www.thomarillion.de/index.php?seite=katalog&modell=bibliothek&pos=1&sprache=gb_

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 10:56:11 PM »
I have a ruined library I have used for many a Mordheim scenario - bought it from a nice gentleman on eBay.  What he did was take strips of thin balsa wood and cut little bits off.  Each bit becomes a book.  Painted up and stacked up (neat stacks, disorderly stacks, stacks on shelves, etc.) they really work very well in creating the image that you are looking at the remains of a library. 

-Michael

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 11:38:31 PM »
I have a ruined library I have used for many a Mordheim scenario - bought it from a nice gentleman on eBay.  What he did was take strips of thin balsa wood and cut little bits off.  Each bit becomes a book.  Painted up and stacked up (neat stacks, disorderly stacks, stacks on shelves, etc.) they really work very well in creating the image that you are looking at the remains of a library. 

-Michael

Got any pics?
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 11:50:37 PM »
I would like to see that too.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 11:53:43 PM »
No, but we will try to take some this weekend and post them.  By "we" I mean Neotacha, as I am terrible at photographing figures and terrain.

Offline tradgardmastre

• Librarian
  • Courage is found in unlikely places. J.R.R.Tolkien
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 09:32:06 AM »
Look forward to seeing the library pics...
You are welcome to visit my Duchy of Tradgardland blog at:
http://tradgardland.blogspot.com/ and my 20th century gaming blog at : http://armyredwhite.blogspot.com/
New interwar imaginations blog at:
http://interbellumimaginations.blogspot.com/

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 10:00:18 AM »
For the library scenario, I was thinking about using dungeon floorplans, like the ones from Advanced Heroquest. It's supposed to be an underground maze of passages, after all. The book shelves can be imagined as the spaces between the corridors.

Of course an actual library would look nicer.

Offline Neotacha

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 12:50:58 PM »
Camera is charging.  Some nitwit* put it away still turned on after the last party (in October).  Hopefully I'll remember to take pics tonight.

Let me clarify: you just want to see how the books were done, yes?

*It's my camera.  I think the camera fairies just came and turned it on after I put it in it's case.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:53:03 PM by Neotacha »

Offline Neotacha

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 01:09:53 PM »
Ok I am going to start to answer my own question here in bits and pieces as I search the Internet:

Thomarillion bookcases are only about 3.5 euro a piece. That means 20 bookcases for not too bad. Still a lot of painting though.

The library deal looks decent too, although still probably not enough for 3x3 board coverage:

http://www.thomarillion.de/index.php?seite=katalog&modell=bibliothek&pos=1&sprache=gb_

Hirst Arts has a mold that does include some books: the Unique Inn  Accessories Mold (#59).  I know that several folks have such molds and are licensed to sell the bits.  Try castlekits.com, although they're in the US and shipping may be an issue if you're not.  Someone might have them on eBay as well.  It'd be a bit pricy for lots and lots of books, I expect, but you'd be able to put a few scattered 'round for extra detail.  If you know someone with the plank mold (#220) you can use the planks to build bookshelves.

Offline Xintao

• Librarian
    • Xin's Lair
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 03:46:33 PM »
Hirst Arts makes molds to make bookshelves and the libraries.

Mold #57 has shelves for a wide bookcasse

Mold #58 has shelves for a narrow bookcase

Mold #59 has books and single wall shelves

Windsword Accessories have already casted Kits for bookshelves
http://www.windswordaccessories.com/dungeon-accessories/156-bookcase-pack.html

Here are some pics of the Windsword Kits I bought. Sitting on Dwarven Forge Dungeon tiles.

I can recommend Windsword Accessories.

Xin
Xin

My Blog: Xin's Lair

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »

Let me clarify: you just want to see how the books were done, yes?

Yes, although examples of the different terrain pieces would be appreciated, preferably with a figure for scale. Of course, once you've got them out you might as well play with them and take photo's  :D

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 06:05:54 PM »
I am not sure if this is a good idea or a stupid idea but I had a thought that corrugated craft card would look like a shelf full of books. What do you think. This took about 45 minutes to build, but if I got a bit of a conveyor belt set up running I could probably reduce the time.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 06:31:10 PM »
Would love to see that painted, I think that might work well.

Of course, once you've got them out you might as well play with them and take photo's  :D

Words fail me... o_o Thankfully Malamute doesn't wander these halls or I'd never get away with a comment like that!

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 11:00:35 PM »
Would love to see that painted, I think that might work well.

Your wish is my command great magi (oh wait...I think I might have been spending a bit too much time thinking about Frostgrave)

Personally I think it works rather well. Fairly quick and easy, and easy enough to replicate to.