Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:14:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Great variety of wizard figures: Ral Partha Europe  (Read 3588 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Great variety of wizard figures: Ral Partha Europe
« on: August 02, 2015, 06:38:59 PM »

RPE have a 20% discount on this weekend (ends midnight tonight) so I took a look through their various 28mm ranges for Frostgrave suitable wizard figures.
They have a huge selection, between the DSA, Armalion, RP Fantasy, Harlequin ranges there must be over 50 different mage/wizard/witch/cleric types currently.

Very easy to pick Wizard/Apprentice pairs. Plus there are a bunch of golem type creatures and elementals.

It has been a long time since I looked at RPE for anything other than Shadowrun stuff, have to admit to being surprised how wide their fantasy ranges are now.

http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/

The discount cuts the shipping cost too.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: Great variety of wizard figures: Ral Partha Europe
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:07:59 PM »
They paint up very nicely too.

LINK

I like them.   :)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 09:20:51 PM »
Be careful, though; most of the Ral Partha stuff is in fact true 25mm which is noticeably smaller than the heroic 28mm we commonly see today. If it has a slotta base or slotta tab, then it's probably in 28mm (I think all of their 28mm miniatures have tabs, while none of their 25mm stuff does).

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 04:04:31 AM »
What is Frostgrave's scale?  28mm non-heroic?  The Frostgrave Soldiers are definitely smaller than Reaper and Games Workshop (at least the later models, due to scale creep).

On Ral Partha miniatures, does anyone own this figure, and is it of the same scale as Frostgrave?

What other miniature lines would be compatible, and what other miniatures have the Frostgrave sculptors created that are of the same scale?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:11:55 AM »
What other miniature lines would be compatible, and what other miniatures have the Frostgrave sculptors created that are of the same scale?

I hear that the Fireforge Sergeants are a good match to the Frostgrave soldiers.

Also, Gripping Beast and Wargames Factory Dark age minis work well, even though I find those to be just a tad slight compared to the Frostgrave soldiers (just the limbs though). Many of the older GW minis also work really well.

That said, I have a half finished project sitting around, using the old Advanced Hero Quest henchmen as city guards. Those guys, whilst slightly more heroic/bulky, are a near perfect match to the Frostgrave stuff as well, and I will be incorporating them in my warbands for sure.

I also have a small pile of assorted Reaper minis, all metal, with integrated base. But those guys are just way too big, even with the bases cut off. For instance; I have a kneeling ranger model, which is really cool, but kneeling down, he's just a millimeter shorter than one of my standing city guards, which is just off.

So, as far as humans/humanoids are concerned, the Frostgrave minis are nicely middle of the road, and slightly smaller and slightly larger minis will fit right in. Just not the extremes such as 25mm or 30/32mm minis.

For the wide range of encounter monsters I am still scouring all manufacturers, since scale is of no real concern for those. And there are some real gems out there; I'm having great fun sourcing every monster I still need; so spoiled for choice these days we are... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:47:14 AM »
I have that cleric, he is a "true 28" like most of the Ral Partha Fantasy figures. 28/29mm tall and correct human proportions to limbs and head. Great figure.

The Frostgrave pieces from  Northstar (at least the bits of my Nickstarter that I did eventually receive  :() are slightly mis-matched in scale. The metal knights are much bigger and bulkier than the plastic multiparts and the wizards.

I will happily mix the plastics and wizards with figures from Wargames Foundry, Perry, Ral Partha, middle era Citadel/GW (after the pre-slotta 25mm) including the Mordheim range, ex Hobby product ranges, Mantic, WotC Chainmail, Mirlton (ex later Grenadier) and Magnificent Egos. Plus the plastics Ruben already mentioned.

I would not try and use Later GW, Reaper, Stonehaven, Otherworld, Scibor, Gamezone or PP Hordes (all too big and bulky) or TSR, Pre slotta citadel and early Grenadier (too small and frail).

But Monsters.....oh yes, you can pick any, from anywhere.

Be careful, though; most of the Ral Partha stuff is in fact true 25mm.

Hmm, I class Ral Partha as True 28 as they (and the ex Hobby ranges) are noticeably taller than the TSR, early Grenadier and Pre Slotta Citadel which are true 25mm. But I agree they are all smaller (and accordingly much, much nicer) than the 32mm "Heroic" grotesque sculpts that were the fashion more recently

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 01:30:30 PM »
Ral Partha is a great resource for all manner of weird and wonderful stuff. You have to be careful with sales when mixing ranges but I do love their catalogue.

I've picked up some Heartbreaker and De Schwarz Auge stuff for use in Frostgrave and mixes well with the Grenadier and old citadel I'm using (I'm sticking wih a decidedly old.school vibe!)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 04:29:52 PM »

Hmm, I class Ral Partha as True 28 as they (and the ex Hobby ranges) are noticeably taller than the TSR, early Grenadier and Pre Slotta Citadel which are true 25mm. But I agree they are all smaller (and accordingly much, much nicer) than the 32mm "Heroic" grotesque sculpts that were the fashion more recently

Their catalogues from back in the day say 25mm, and I have to say that they look too small to the usual 28mm fantasy stuff we see today.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 06:08:13 PM »
I have that cleric, he is a "true 28" like most of the Ral Partha Fantasy figures. 28/29mm tall and correct human proportions to limbs and head. Great figure.

How does that particular figure match up with the Frostgrave line?  The Frostgrave soldiers seem less heroic, and have smaller hands and such than the GW figures I'm used to.  I just want to find a cleric model like that one that could fit in reasonably well.

Offline Tri3

• Librarian
    • Miniature Review
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 06:33:10 PM »
Ral Partha figures are definitely smaller compared to Copplestone's older fantasy range.  If Frostgrave figures are closer to Copplestone, then Ral Partha will be smaller than those too.

I just got in a bunch of old grenadier stuff and sadly they were smaller than I wanted them to be.  Awesome figures, just smaller.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 09:45:02 PM »
How does that particular figure match up with the Frostgrave line?  The Frostgrave soldiers seem less heroic, and have smaller hands and such than the GW figures I'm used to.  I just want to find a cleric model like that one that could fit in reasonably well.

The Frostgrave plastics have smaller heads/hands and weapons (titchy tiny crossbow) and somewhat stunted stubby bodies, but they work OK. The smaller heads and hands make them a perfect fit for the Ral Partha and other lines listed above.

Unfortunately I cannot get to the cleric figure to picture him for you but I am pretty certain he will be a perfect match for the wizards. I got the Sigilists through the Nickstarter and they are slightly smaller than the plastic soldiers (and much smaller than the Copplestone Knight model).