Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:47:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689523
  • Total Topics: 118283
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A little bit of nostalgia - BattleFleet Gothic (upd. 3.08.2015)  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Father Primus

• Librarian
Our community suddenly remembered about loads of BFG ships, storaged for years in the depths of our private collections...

This collective impetus even motivated me to repaint 8 starter cruisers (with some conversions). And if my motivation doesn't run out, we'll see some fleet reinforcement!  ;)

Dishonored heretics and separatists

Stalwart defenders of the Imperium
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:48:05 PM by Father Primus »

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A little bit of nostalgia - BattleFleet Gothic
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 10:49:11 AM »
Wooo! Beautiful! You can never go wrong with BFG :)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 02:30:52 PM »
Nice painting.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 05:17:33 PM »
I really like the chaos head used for the ships prow.  Very nice detail.  These look great.
The winning player isn't always the better player.

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 12:27:29 AM »
They look great! Really nice :)  :-*

I would be interested to know your techniques and colours used if you are inclined to go into any detail

Offline Father Primus

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 10:16:07 AM »
They look great! Really nice :)  :-*

I would be interested to know your techniques and colours used if you are inclined to go into any detail

Thanks!  :)

Main difference between imperial and chaos ships: imperial cruisers don't have a lot of plain surfaces - so they could be easily painted using drybrush. First imperials were coated with black spray, and then with dark brown spray. After that - heavy drybrush with some kind of Vallejo Olive Drab (color of WWII american greatcoats). Then much lighter drybrush with Iraqi Sand (one of my favourite colors ever :)). Finished with light drybrush of Pale Sand - just to highlight the external details.

Drybrush on chaos cruisers gives dirty result - so I used another method. It's also easy, but requires some experience. After basecoating cruisers with black primer (and 15-20 min. to dry), I took medium grey spray and gave them some "very light touches". In effect it highlighted the edges and gave additional shape to plain surfaces. Then I used Adeptus Battlegrey to highlight the center of the prow and the control towers.

Metal parts were first painted with some kind of Vallejo blue-grey (bottle is so old, that the title is unreadable...), and edges highlighted with white (+ a small dot of the same blue-grey). Finishing touch for pseudo-metal (in fact, I can't call it a real NMM) is a watered down Burnt Umber to create shadows/reflections - use it carefully, and only on a non-highlighted parts.

For the "gold" I use a mix of Yanden Darksun with Burnt Umber, highlighted by Flat Yellow. Then I just paint some white (with a tiny amount of Flat Yellow) dots on the extreme edges - in case with flat surfaces, like a prow railing, I place these dots on the intersections.

It took about 4 hours to paint chaos ships, and about 2,5 hours for imperials.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
They've turned out great and I really like the effect on the Chaos ships, it almost looks like they are alive and writhing  8) 8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 12:20:48 AM »
Thanks!  :)

Main difference between imperial and chaos ships: imperial cruisers don't have a lot of plain surfaces - so they could be easily painted using drybrush. First imperials were coated with black spray, and then with dark brown spray. After that - heavy drybrush with some kind of Vallejo Olive Drab (color of WWII american greatcoats). Then much lighter drybrush with Iraqi Sand (one of my favourite colors ever :)). Finished with light drybrush of Pale Sand - just to highlight the external details.

Drybrush on chaos cruisers gives dirty result - so I used another method. It's also easy, but requires some experience. After basecoating cruisers with black primer (and 15-20 min. to dry), I took medium grey spray and gave them some "very light touches". In effect it highlighted the edges and gave additional shape to plain surfaces. Then I used Adeptus Battlegrey to highlight the center of the prow and the control towers.

Metal parts were first painted with some kind of Vallejo blue-grey (bottle is so old, that the title is unreadable...), and edges highlighted with white (+ a small dot of the same blue-grey). Finishing touch for pseudo-metal (in fact, I can't call it a real NMM) is a watered down Burnt Umber to create shadows/reflections - use it carefully, and only on a non-highlighted parts.

For the "gold" I use a mix of Yanden Darksun with Burnt Umber, highlighted by Flat Yellow. Then I just paint some white (with a tiny amount of Flat Yellow) dots on the extreme edges - in case with flat surfaces, like a prow railing, I place these dots on the intersections.

It took about 4 hours to paint chaos ships, and about 2,5 hours for imperials.

Thanks! Will have to give some of these techniques a try ;)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 08:26:54 PM »
Wooo! Beautiful! You can never go wrong with BFG :)

Oh, yes, what he said!

Doug

Offline Father Primus

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 12:47:35 PM »
Imperial reinforcements have arrived!
Brettonian' helmet decorations make perfect statues for BFG ships.

Unfortunately, I decided not to waste my time on the Photoshop courses in the university :(
So now I have to study this useful programme on my own...

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: A little bit of nostalgia - BattleFleet Gothic (upd. 3.08.2015)
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 01:54:21 PM »
Да, это правда!

Doug