Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:41:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690841
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Inexpensive Supplies  (Read 1696 times)

Offline rexscarlet

• Assistant
Inexpensive Supplies
« on: March 10, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »
I noticed many that are playing Frostgrave are new to painting, modeling, and gaming.

Here is a quick list of inexpensive supplies that can be used for all sorts of modeling projects, I hope people find this useful. Please feel free to add to the list and/or PM me anytime.

Supplies;
Wire Hangers; from the dry-cleaners. I prefer the white plastic coated ones. (Cut-out the straight area and save). Then find a drill-bit the same size. Uses; pinning large items, axles on vehicles, BANNER-POLES, etc… Alternatively, LARGE paper-clips.
Broom (Old); (house/kitchen) with long Nylon bristles. Depending on stiffness can be used as Spears, Lances, Antenna arrays, poles, cabling, and etc…
Stir-Sticks; wood, (NOT Popsicle, they are treated and can have a to-finished look). From Starbucks for free with a cup-o-Joe or a box from a craft chain about $5. Uses; as wood, for everything wood; floors, bridges, fences, and etc…
Cereal Box Cardboard; Save the front and back of the Cereal-box, etc. the cardboard is treated and very solid. Uses, a VERY inexpensive substitute for plastic-card.
Rocks and Gravel; from your neighbor’s driveway (I Keed, I keed) Uses; boulders, and etc…
Old Toys; from your closet, from a yard-sale, and etc. Uses; rubble terrain, machinery, and etc…
Chopsticks; (fast food for free) Uses; large wood poles, fencing, supports, and etc…
Wrapping paper rolls; (the thicker ones) A Pringles can, oatmeal can, etc.
Telephone DSL Cat5 Cabling (inside wires); they have 4-12 different colored wires inside, good for rope, wire, Tentacles...
Pennies (or nickels fit ROUND bases perfectly as weights; if you are rich lol); (note; I have tried the washer and slug idea, trying to find the right size and driving around is not worth the penny, or the nickel)
Roots of small hardy plants; use, dead (spooky) trees when turned upside down.
Hibachi skewers; (made of Bamboo) cost about $1 for a bag of 50 at local grocery store, great for spiky defenses, and etc…
Place-mat for dinner table; (made of Bamboo and other wood slat items) good for fences when cut.
Dykes; or heavy-duty wire cutters; NOT Sprue-Cutters (sprue-cutters are expensive and will get damaged when trying to cut metal or wood). Example; http://www.xs11.com/forum/images/tips/20020902-floatpinremove.jpg
Needle point embroidery colored thread; great for rope (28mm scale and up)
Fisk hooks, tiny, triple ones; cut off sharp tips with dykes, make sure the eyelet is large enough to accept thread or wire; good for grappling hooks. Add a rope and litter the table with them, to represent places that can be climbed easily, cheaper than buying stairs, ladders, etc.

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
Re: Inexpensive Supplies
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 03:17:26 PM »
Some good tips and ideas there @rexscarlet. Thank you.
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline Nooblord

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 08:11:35 PM »
I live just across the road from a golf course and 2 miles from the beach so at least sand for hobby purposes is not a problem :)

Offline Lamilvelo

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 09:41:38 PM »
Nice list Rex.