Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:57:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Old West in 2015!!! (29/8 Latest Trio!!!)  (Read 15821 times)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
Old West in 2015!!! (29/8 Latest Trio!!!)
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:54:27 PM »
When I started the hobby eight years ago, my first collection was the Old West, it's still fairly small compared to some, but has stood me in good stead and provided many hours of fun and games, literally. However, since my painting skills have improved and I have developed some minor health issues, I thought it was about time to give them a face lift and at the same time giving me something to perk me up with.

Several members on this board have produced absolutely fantastic and stunning results, inspiration and laughs. Mr Mason's project alone should serve as the measuring stick against everything else is measured. I paint ok at best, but personally I don't want to spend hours upon figures, I want to slap some paint on them and have a game  :D!!! Therefore they will only get a base coat, one layer of paint and then hitting them with Armypainter Quickshade which I personally think is a great help in getting my minis to look a lot better with small effort.

Today I took most of my old west figures out, gave them a Dettol bath and scrubbed them as clean as I could. 28 figures. Aim to have them all based and basecoated by going to bed tonight and starting painting a couple tomorrow. I also have around 20 civilians but in two minds regarding re-painting them. After the OW collection, I think my Post-Apocalyptic one will get some much needed TLC too, but one thing at a time.

Here's a picture of those who are going in for the cosmetic facelift :)!!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 05:50:29 PM by Legionnaire »
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
Re: Old West in 2015!!! (28 cleaned 28's or thereabouts)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 04:24:53 PM »
Looking forward to your project. Do you recall who made the figs?

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »
Looking forward to your project. Do you recall who made the figs?

Thank you!

Being a small collection I very well remember where they come from, Black Scorpion Miniatures, one Reaper Chronoscope (Not Josey Wales) and Artizan Design. My two absolute favourites are the 'two fatties' from Black Scorpion, such character in the minis  lol!

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 10:52:58 PM »
Oh nice, give em a lift.

It's strange isn't it, whether to keep your past efforts, or to do them better.

I repainted some of my bretonnians. I found layering on top of the old pj was a nice homage to my younger self ;)

Cheers
Matt

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 12:03:37 AM »
I look forward to seeing the MKII versions.
 :D

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 02:00:43 AM »
Being a small collection I very well remember where they come from, Black Scorpion Miniatures, one Reaper Chronoscope (Not Josey Wales) and Artizan Design. My two absolute favourites are the 'two fatties' from Black Scorpion, such character in the minis  lol!

I thought so I have many of those in my backlog as well  :D

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 05:40:39 PM »
Oh nice, give em a lift.

It's strange isn't it, whether to keep your past efforts, or to do them better.

I repainted some of my bretonnians. I found layering on top of the old pj was a nice homage to my younger self ;)

Cheers
Matt

I think they do deserve a lift, the OW is the sole reason I got into the hobby (been RPG:ing for 25+ years but only wargaming for eight). As I said, I paint OK at best, but think some are having their third re-make!!!! As I have gotten better I want to make them look the best I can, but without spending hours and hours upon them. When I started out the paint was an inch thick (exaggerating but you know what I mean...), and now I paint fairly quickly (about 30 mins/ figure and calling it done).

I look forward to seeing the MKII versions.
 :D

Most likely not as good as Deep Purple MKII, but I shall post pictures very soon.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
Re: Old West in 2015!!! (8/8 Fluff with pictures to follow)
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 05:55:28 PM »
Today I started making some headway with the Magnificent 28!!! As I looked at them, I suddenly giggled to myself and having drawn inspiration from other posts on here (that lot of no good hoss' thieves shall not be named and shamed), I picked out SEVEN miniatures(for it is a Magical number), painted and NAMED them. Because the Armypainter Quickshade is currently drying, I will post pictures in a day or two.

When I posted my pictures of the buildings in my town, Nick Nascati suggested I named it Obsession, and the name stuck. So here are some of the folk that will populate Obsession in the near future:

The Burps
Wyatt Burp- Tough lawdog of Obsession
Wild Virgil 'Hiccup' Burp- The older, tougher lawdog of Obsession
Morgan 'Belcher' Burp- Young and reckless, sometimes barking at and biting criminals (like a certain cop in an 80's series)

Swedish Sven- It takes courage or stupidity to dress in the colours of the Swedish flag! Not sure which it is.

Three Texan Hombres of Bar ZZ
Ambrose "Dusty" Hill- Grizzled, bearded war veteran, rumbling bass voice.
William "Billy" Gubbins- Former lumberjack and handy with an axe. Bigger beard than 'Dusty'.
'Little Frank' Tasch- Always clean shaven and he was a drummer boy in the Civil War.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
Re: Old West in 2015!!! (10/8 First MKII pictures)
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 11:13:06 AM »
My first 11 re-painted Old West minis!!! They have just been flocked, hence the stray foliage in the pics.

Ambrose "Dusty" Hill- Civil war veteran.
William "Billy" Gubbins- Former lumberjack and handy with an axe. Bigger beard than Dusty.
"Little Frank" Tasch- Was a drummer boy in the civil war.

These three chaps work out of Bar ZZ and the two bearded gents are two of my absolute favourite minis all categories. I affectionately call them "The Two Fatties".

The Burps

Wyatt Burp- Tough lawman of Obsession
"Wild Virgil Hiccup" Burp- The older Burp brother
Morgan "Belcher" Burp- Prone to growling and biting lawbreakers!!!

Manuel Enrique Juan Maria Vasques- Sometimes a hero, sometimes a scoundrel. Another favourite sculpt.
"Cojones" Santanta- This man fears absolutely nothing, except maybe his stern mother.
Swedish Sven- Gun-for-hire and a dubious sense of dress code.

Father Mike O'Duff- Has a taste for the communion wine, but nevertheless tries to guide his flock.
'Buckskin' Kowalski- Eastern European immigrant with rudimentary English, good hunter/ trapper though.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Re: Old West in 2015!!! (10/8 First MKII Pictures!!!)
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 10:28:51 PM »
Great choice of sculpts. I agree with your tastes. 8)

Looking forward to some more.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 12:35:48 AM »
Great stuff.
The fatties are my favourites too, although the Preacher is a wonderful figure.
 8) 8)

Offline Yggdrasil

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 06:44:37 AM »
Nice models you have there.
I like how Little Frank has been painted. The chosen colors are just beautiful  :-*.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 09:40:30 AM »
Thank you for the encouragement gentlemen, I am having a day off today so a few more are being painted today, pics should be up in the next couple of days.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Old West in 2015!!! (10/8 First MKII pictures)
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 05:03:02 PM »

You don't read the Blueberry series of westerns by Jean-Michel Charlier and Jean Giraud (the incomparable Moebius), do you? Because the two on the right look like dead-on versions of Jimmy McLure and Red Neck.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 05:10:20 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 08:30:39 PM »
You don't read the Blueberry series of westerns by Jean-Michel Charlier and Jean Giraud (the incomparable Moebius), do you? Because the two on the right look like dead-on versions of Jimmy McLure and Red Neck.

Many years ago Blueberry ran in a Swedish comic, but I honestly never really liked it very much. I did like the art but not the stories, if it makes any sense (always felt Blueberry was a bit of a prick...)