Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:41:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689769
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shieldmaiden Unit complete, & project update.  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
Shieldmaiden Unit complete, & project update.
« on: August 07, 2015, 05:54:19 PM »
They've been out for a while now but I went a bit quiet on showing them off as the demand was far more than I could have hoped, which is amazing. On the downside it meant I had to queue people and cast furiously. Just about caught up today!

They look great together. Sculpted by Phil Hynes and painted by Paul Cubbin/Cubster

http://thedicebaglady.net/bad-squiddo-games-shieldmaiden-unit/

I'm really pleased with them and all they mean to me (and the people who have bought them!). The entire Believable Female Miniatures Project was started because I couldn't find what I wanted - simply shieldmaidens for dark age gaming that didn't have metal boob plate armour or skirt slits up to the belly button or Valkyrie helmets. It was only when my hands started giving up (repetitive strain from making too many dice bags!) I decided to see if I could make it work.

The whole project has gone down.... massively better than I expected! Which of course is good for business (and I am not so reliant on my rubbish painful hands to survive,woohoo!), but my faith in humanity has been hugely restored too. I was starting to believe that I was in a minority of wargamers who wanted to be able to choose female miniatures that weren't entirely based around being eye candy/fantasy, and have learnt that it really isn't a minority at all. The demographic of people buying them (as well as the other ranges I now stock with the same ethos) has been pretty much as wide as it can get, which is another good thing! I receive a lot of emails from customers saying how they have been using my miniatures to introduce young girls into the hobby, whereas they were put off before because of inappropriate minis.

So yeah, an update really! First unit is completo and grand, more units being sculpted at the moment, and lots to release over the next few months.

Thanks for all your help and support, LAF has been a great place (especially as I intially signed up to have a rant about representation of women in the hobby, heh)

Annie - Bad Squiddo Games - The Dice Bag Lady

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Shieldmaiden Unit complete, & project update.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 06:46:35 PM »
I have been looking into your miniatures for my daughter's Frostgrave warband  as she's keen to have some 'girls' in her 'team'. Thanks for producing your own and making others available in one place

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 09:41:50 PM »
They are very nice and I shall be putting my own order in for them soon.

Maybe you could look into producing some Onna-bugeisha? :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onna-bugeisha
I watched a rather cool documentary on them the other day with its focus on 'Nakano Takeko'.

Back to Dark Age Europe, have you plans for more female warriors during this period? I'm thinking of the 10th century Aethelflaed, Lady of Mercia!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:53:39 PM by cram »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 06:42:57 AM »
Great stuff Annie (and cubs!)  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Darrell.