Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:05:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Can I mix GB Saxon thegns and fireforge games sergeants on foot?  (Read 3263 times)

Offline sunspear

• Assistant
Wanting to try saga out and I like kit bashing and making all my models look a little a little unique. Would this be possible or do the sergeants on foot look to "high medeival" for Saxon thegns?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Can I mix GB Saxon thegns and fireforge games sergeants on foot?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 06:25:03 AM »
Wanting to try saga out and I like kit bashing and making all my models look a little a little unique. Would this be possible or do the sergeants on foot look to "high medeival" for Saxon thegns?

What sets are you considering combining?

i'm not entirely qualified to answer having never seen the Foot Sergeant plastics 'in the flesh' but I suspect that you would have to at the very least add Gripping Beast Dark Age heads and earlier helmets and swords etc.

Darrell.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 08:12:15 AM »
The FF and GB components fit well enough together. I guess if you mashed up the GB Viking set with one of the FF feudal infantry sets, you'd get something approaching late period Saxons.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:18:35 AM »
As the fireforge sets are supposed to be for the 12th and early 13th Century, there will be quite a lot of heads that you will have to avoid and I am not even sure the surcoated bodies, and the early leg armour would be right either? so I am not sure that it is worth buying a box for that purpose alone. I don't know if they are compatible, as I have never seen them, and not everyone rates them, but maybe the Normans made by conquest might be a more suitable mash up? Maybe not, just a thought.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:25:30 AM by westwaller »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 10:16:21 AM »
I don't think the Fireforge sergeants will work for Dark Ages, the bodies of the figures are mainly in padded gambeson style armour, with a couple in surcoats and a couple in a kind of scale armour. Also most of the helmets are too late. This is a shame as size wise they will go will with GB.  If you can get a single sprue of these they may be good to add a little variety, but I think a whole box would be a waste - unless you use it as a starter for a Crescent and Cross Crusader force?

The GB Thegns are all in mail, with helmets and shields - which is fine for what they are - Thegns. But you will want a bunch of lighter armoured troops for Saga. Good options are the GB Dark Age light troops (can't remember the actual name) but basically unarmored troops with Spears & Shields or Slings, or the Conquest Infantry.  The GB Dark Age troops aren't my favourite box though - I think mainly as all the left arms are cast on - expecting a shield.

I don't have the Conquest infantry - which are notionally Norman, they will fit era wise - they may fit less well in size and the way heads and arms join. The Conquest cavalry are a bit slighter than the GB figs. But I have added GB bits to Conquest riders to make a few Saxon cavalry.

Offline sunspear

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 11:24:49 AM »
Ok, thanks all. It was an idea but it doesn't seem like a feasible one

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 11:53:11 AM »
Ok, thanks all. It was an idea but it doesn't seem like a feasible one

As I indicated earlier, I haven't seen the Fireforge plastics personally but if there were any in just gambesons they would be fine. I think that it is weird that cloth armours are not depicted as common in many ranges for the Dark Ages as that and leather would have predominated the battlefield given the cost of mail etc.

Maybe (if some do just have gamesons) it's worth a punt in the Bazaar for a couple to test out?

Darrell.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 09:53:47 PM »
As mentioned before, they mix well together.
If you want more variety on your force i advise to buy separate heads from West Wind and add them.
Miniatures will look compleetly diferent and gives you a very nice variety.

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 08:58:40 AM »
I've mixed the GBP Dark Age Warriors with FF Serjeants. Just FF heads and shields, and GBP bodies, to give a more peasanty 12th century spear infantry. No idea how historical it is, but it looks and feels ok to me.

I also mixed them with Wargames Factory Bondi, for extra variety, though this requires a bit of green stuff around the neck.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 09:43:44 AM »
I've mixed the GBP Dark Age Warriors with FF Serjeants. Just FF heads and shields, and GBP bodies, to give a more peasanty 12th century spear infantry. No idea how historical it is, but it looks and feels ok to me.

Or vice-versa...

Here's a Fireforge body and cloak with Gripping Beast head and arms / weapon (the buckler is a Perry piece).
Yes, I added a fur cape of Green Stuff - although I didn't need to. It was just to create a particular look.
If you used one of the large GB Viking / Saxon round shields, and one of the Viking conical helms with nasal guard, he would surely do perfectly well for a late Saxon thegn?
It's just a question of picking your parts judiciously.