Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:45:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thaw of the Lich Lord  (Read 29057 times)

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: Thaw of the Lich Lord
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 09:02:10 PM »

Hint: if the game does well, you should produce a deck of spell cards for your wizards.  I paid through the nose to have 'em custom printed via an online game printer studio!

I'd definitely get a couple of decks. As for the mini Nickstarter I'll be backing this one, too.

Offline Kegluneq

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 09:18:08 PM »
I missed the first Nickstarter as well, only discovering the book because Amazon suggested I might like it.  Useful advertising, for a change.

I will probably go in on the upcoming Nickstarter, assuming I can sell at least one friend on the virtues of the game.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 09:39:05 PM »
Can't get a printer in the UK to quote me a semsible price for a pack due to the only wanting a couple of packs.

Me and some friends clubbed in and got an order of 8 of audreys decks from printerstudio.de worked out under 15 quid per deck with shipping if that's any help? Impressively quick turn around and excellent customer service as well.

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 05:38:33 AM »
You shipped them over from the states? :o
The worlds gone mad. How is it possible to buy a pack of cards and ship them from the other side of the planet more cheaply than it is to buy them here.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 09:11:55 AM »
You shipped them over from the states? :o
The worlds gone mad. How is it possible to buy a pack of cards and ship them from the other side of the planet more cheaply than it is to buy them here.

With current exchange rates it worked out cheaper than getting them from Europe. I only ordered a deck for myself and a friend so it should be under the limit for HMRC to take their cut. Shipping was fairly reasonable, especially taking into account the madness that is Royal Mail's pricing structure. It's a bit extreme but...
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 12:09:17 PM »
Will you be doing cards? I cast another vote for cards. They'd be brilliant.

Good luck, and love the post about Amazon, print screen and shared around the web :)

Annie

Offline Bodvoc

• Librarian
    • The War Crow
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »
Another thumbs up for a pack of cards, maybe as part of the next Nickstarter? I would buy at least 2 packs.
'If I throw a 6 I will do my happy dance.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 02:05:19 PM »
That date works well for me, will follow with interest.

And another vote for cards.  I've got cards for some other games (Dreadball, Shadows of Brimstone) made and shipped over from the US, and it wasn't as painful as I expected, but given Nick's post on giving money Northstar rather than Amazon, in the same vein I'd rather give money for cards to Northstar rather than Printershop.  ;)
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 10:20:33 AM »
but given Nick's post on giving money Northstar rather than Amazon, in the same vein I'd rather give money for cards to Northstar rather than Printershop.  ;)

Exactly!

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 10:43:20 AM »
Count me in surprisingly enough  ;)

Offline Calmdown

• Librarian
  • Wordy
    • Bad Karma
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »
I was asked this question:
A few of us did the Nickstarter here, but then Amazon sells the book for $17. Why should I join this time & not just buy through Amazon!?

This was my answer:
Because the money that is made by North Star selling copies of Frostgrave is used to pay for Frostgrave figures. It's used to promote Frostgrave and develop the hobby of playing the game, modelling the figures and painting the figures. The money made by Amazon goes into shareholders pockets. If that doesn't matter to you, sure, save yourself a couple of bucks. But don't ask 'what happened to the hobby' when it dies because there is no money to pay the creative people who make the stuff we like.

Am I making too much of an issue about this? Don't get me wrong, I've used Amazon myself, but I just don't think it's the place to buy Hobby product. I mostly used Amazon for books and dvds, but that is because Amazon have already assassinated the high street bookshops and music shops, leaving one little choice but to buy online. I just don't want to see our hobby to go the same way.

Example. I'm attending Partizan, the show in Newark, at the beginning of September. I'll have a small stand selling Frostgrave, showing off the painted figures used in the photos and be there to chat to people. We'll have a participation game on another table where you can join in and learn the game. If all the sales for the rulebooks go through Amazon, hows this stuff going to carry on? Amazon won't fund it. An extreme scenario I admit, but look at Bookshops. We only have Waterstones left in Nottingham. If that goes, who'll host author signings etc in our town?

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with this, and it is in the same vein as supporting your FLGS instead of ordering from the super-discount sites, if you dont want Amazon sales to kill your income and ruin the hobby then why is it available through Amazon at all? I'm not sure how the Osprey-Northstar-etc relationship works but if between you all you want to keep the hobby supported, why did you give it to Amazon to price gouge you in the first place?
Frostgrave blog and downloads: www.bad-barma.net (click me!)

Hey Frostgrave fans! Click to join us on Facebook!

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 01:12:40 PM »
Excellent post,  I wholeheartedly agree. It's a very big shame indeed that many more rare books just aren't available anymore at all in normal bookshops, or only at request if you're lucky.
Editors apparently do not have any control if their books end up on amazon or bol.com
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 01:47:10 PM »
Hi Calmdown

A good point. I don't control the distribution of the books, so I can't answer. All I can do is ask people to give me a thought before placing their orders on-line.

But, I do control the distribution of the figures, and they will not be on sale through Amazon.

Nick

Offline darthgus

• Assistant
    • Hobbyists Blog
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 03:36:29 PM »
I really don't use Amazon except when I have no other choice... like I've been given Amazon vouchers. Otherwise I go through my normal suppliers.

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »
Agree on the Amazon thing!
However, back to topic! I have already said several times that if the new "cultist" models would look "half as badass as on the poster" I'm in for the miniatures this time!

Sooooo... will they? I don't know what makes the picture on the poster so cool! I think it has something to do with the mystery of their head bags and chains. I love these guys. I hope they would be possible to combine with regular wizards.
http://wargamingasp.blogspot.cz/ - Not entirely serious gaming blog