Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:49:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690962
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: But what about Conan?  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Mac

• Librarian
But what about Conan?
« on: August 12, 2015, 06:17:28 AM »
But what about warbands led by Conan, Sir Galahad etcetera.

The author, to his credit left these out. We applaud his self discipline.

But for a moment, lets suppose we did want Conan tooling about Frostgrave. How might that work.

I think the base stats for the "wizard/Hero" and apprentice/henchman might be a bit more fighty. The equipment too.

Obviously, no spells. It does occur to me that some of the spells, restricted to short range, or cast on oneself, could be achieved by shouting, looking scary and so on.

Could these be given to Heroes? "Combat awareness" is one example. Awareness is another. Beauty might work for some heroes, Monstrous form more appropriate for others.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

In the meantime, I am intimated by snow. My copout is this; I call it Thawgrave.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 06:19:38 AM by Mac »

Offline mister c

• Bookworm
Re: But what about Conan?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 07:32:32 AM »
If we are looking at 'known heroes' leading warbands, how about two early nineteenth century gentlemen accompanied by redcoats (crossbows)?
Jonathon Strange and Mr Norell getting lost on the King's roads and turning up in Frostgrave.

This all reminds me of the old Dragon magazine column 'Giants in the Earth'.
Check out my gaming and painting blog (Including Frostgrave) at
http://periodicpainting.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/frostgrave.html

Offline JohnDSD2

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 07:50:48 AM »
Elric, he can so easily make an appearance. He travels through different planes/realities, has a sword with a bound demon and summons all sorts of creatures to aid him, he even has an apprentice, Moonglum.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 08:42:35 AM »
I wonder if upping his fight and other stats at the beginning with no spells and instead of learning from grimoires etc he could gain a permanent spell effect on himself but at a much slower rate than spell learning is three times the amount to learn a new "skill" only spells that would fit the theme. His henchman works the same as an apprentice stats wise but can possibly learn different skills. Interesting concept as a treasure rich city would draw all sorts.

Offline mister c

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »
The stories did have Conan helped by wizards (or priests of Mitra) occasionally, but IIRC he had a pretty dim view of wizards generally.

I could certainly see some of his opponents turning up, another use for the skip load of minis that will hopefully arriving with the Conan boardgame.

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 10:39:55 PM »
I'd sort of start him as a barbarian with additional +'s to have a similar total stat line to a wizard, his apprentice shadows him as over. He can't use spells but his will can be increased to make him quite magic resistant. He earns experience as a wizard would.

Just off top of my head.

I played a very small solo game in which a crossbow man achieved eneough so that if he were a wizard he'd have gone up a level. So, I promoted him to marksman and have decided that he is now a "named man" probably having similar benefits as a wizard. Using the holmesian random name generation he is now "Bormacor of the Coast".

Offline Mac

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 05:06:57 AM »
Good input. Here is my thinking.

The wizard/hero starts out as any one of the soldier/types, except maybe a hound.

The apprentice would have the standard stats for that type of soldier, therefore the wizard/hero would be Fight +2, Shoot +2 Will +2 Health +4

This makes Conan the Barbarian: Move 6, Fight +6, Shoot +2, Armour 10, Will +5, and Health 18
Red Sonia becomes: Move 6, Fight +4, Shoot +0, Armour 10, Will +3, and Health 14

A wizard/hero can't cast spells, but through sheer force-of-will can choose from three of the following:
1. Awareness
2. Beauty or Monstrous Form (never both)
3. Combat Awareness
4. Fast Act
5. Fleet Feet
6. Shield
7. Strength
8. Will Power
9. Transcendence (retiring to write memoirs)

All "spells" us the base casting number.
Where any spell is line of sight, this become 3 inches.
Where any spell lasts for the "rest of the game", this becomes "for this turn only"

A wizard/hero can use and buy magic weapons and armour, but the only magic item he/she can use is the 'banner of courage'.

A base must be ab Inn and base resources must be a kennel.

Potions Scrolls and Grimoires are no use, and must be sold.

By randomly selecting three "spells" this could make an easy opponent for a new players first campaign game

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 07:15:57 AM »
Apart from the fact, that the table shown above is awesome  :o ... I can easily think of Fighting Schools, instead of Magic ones.

Most of the spells are usefull in day to day fights anyway, so just a few need to be re-worded with respect to close combat fights. Great idea, it shows how flexible Frostrgrave is, imho
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 10:04:03 AM »
It's not the right game for a party to be lead by Conan IMHO, it's a Wizard led game.

But he could be part of the narrative. As we know, Conan does have a very dim view of magic and magic users, but he was very much a 'sword for hire'.

Perhaps your wizard has employed a young barbarian, with a brooding look, moves like a stalking panther, square cut mane. He has joined your party for pay, his contempt for magic is clear but he seems to have his own motive for accompanying your party. (one for a more GM run game maybe, having Conan being paid by another party to collect a specific magic item and he's with you just for the extra protection/ and or guide into the city.)

Offline mister c

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 10:22:39 AM »
Or how about meeting him as a wandering monster?  Need not be combat, perhaps he can be bought in exchange for a treasure?

Offline Bodvoc

• Librarian
    • The War Crow
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 10:54:12 AM »
Mister C, I had the exact same idea, Conan as a wandering 'monster' would scare the pants of most wizards
'If I throw a 6 I will do my happy dance.

Offline mister c

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »
Yup, clearly better than the average barbarian, especially against wizards.
Taking this further we could suggest all sorts of fantasy heroes for 'guest appearances'.

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 12:14:22 PM »
Well, yes it was designed as wizard led game. That said I was also thinking of "Sword Master" and his Apprentice, from say the Water Dancing School (mobility) or the School of Stone (armour). So my allegiance to a Wizard led game is .....minimal. The idea of throwing Conan in with a sidekick against a wizard and his band of thugs is very very appealing!