Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:22:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691495
  • Total Topics: 118394
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How do you wargame this? A short animation link and different scale troops  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain

Seriously - would be fun to have a huge giant battling a heavily armed town (without the help of the boulder, of course). Do people mix 2mm, 6mm or 10mm scale models with 28mm+ models?

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
It's not unheard of to use, say, big monsters in 15mm scale for medium monsters in 28mm scale.

The short movie you linked and your own post leads me to an interesting idea: A fantasy version of Steve Jackson's OGRE game, with one single extremely powerful unity (the rock giant or whatever) vs. a multitude of weak units (OGRE als has stationary gun turrets, so there's your fortress :) ).It would certainly make for an fun gaming project.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
It's not unheard of to use, say, big monsters in 15mm scale for medium monsters in 28mm scale.

The short movie you linked and your own post leads me to an interesting idea: A fantasy version of Steve Jackson's OGRE game, with one single extremely powerful unity (the rock giant or whatever) vs. a multitude of weak units (OGRE als has stationary gun turrets, so there's your fortress :) ).It would certainly make for an fun gaming project.
What I meant was size-mismatched warbands vs armies (e.g. 28mm giants/humans vs 2mm humans/Lilliputians), rather than having a single 28 mm giant.
As for the OGRE suggestion - fits what I had in mind quite nicely, that's a really good idea  8) 8) 8)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Reminds me of a video game that's been released where you specialize as a "rock" and roll around trying to crush cities and defenses.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
This is how we did it in the way back before we had specific creatures like giants we simply used a different scaled fig. Obviously you could do a Lilliputian vs Gulliver type situation. The key of course would be the rules. I once toyed with a convention idea that would allow seven players to act as time lords and go from game to game in the convention and gather their armies. I planned on using what ever scale they came back with and would figure out their combat stats once they were gathered. So I had a 25mm Evil fantasy  army who may have been confronted by an army made up of other 25mm, 15mm and even micro armor tank forces. I thought it would be a hoot but was never able to pull it off.   :?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
This is how we did it in the way back before we had specific creatures like giants we simply used a different scaled fig. Obviously you could do a Lilliputian vs Gulliver type situation. The key of course would be the rules. I once toyed with a convention idea that would allow seven players to act as time lords and go from game to game in the convention and gather their armies. I planned on using what ever scale they came back with and would figure out their combat stats once they were gathered. So I had a 25mm Evil fantasy  army who may have been confronted by an army made up of other 25mm, 15mm and even micro armor tank forces. I thought it would be a hoot but was never able to pull it off.   :?
Sounds good - extreme scenarios can be fun I guess. I'd been toying with a super-character for zombicide going it alone - for example, a terminator, or the Hulk. Your suggestion sounds fine - a handful of Brobdingnagians vs a horde of humans (isn't that 'Attack on Titan?!?), or you tank suggestion - a Connecticut Yankee tank commander in King Arthur's Court, for example (it would just have to be Oddball from Kelly's Heroes in the title role - tripping, perhaps!).

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
I have used 15mm figures as 'alfar' in a 28mm dark age fantasy game.... I mounted multiple 15mm figures on a base, and gave them multiple low strength melee attacks, but only 1 wound per base...
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture

I take it you guys haven't seen this yet. ;)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=77512.msg997783#msg997783

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
I was just about to post that Vermis :)
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Thanks - hadn't seen it, so I'll go through that when I have a few minutes.  8)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Indeed I haven't seen it, so many threads and so little time... ;)

Thanks for the link.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
THANKS MUCHO for the links! A Tale of Momentum & Inertia AND 850 are WONDERFULLY entertaining/inspiring.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Very nice, Vermis - and I love the models used here.
But I'd go further and have a band of large types vs the small scale blokes.
Thus for example, a Warmaster (10mm) Empire army could face off against a tribe of large giants - not the Warmaster giant but something the size of a WHFB (not AoS  :( ) Ogre; I could see a tribe of 5 giants taking on a town packed with artillery. Of course scenery-wise this could make for some incredible opportunities, although some investment would be needed. And (a small point, but good to think of it at an early stage in planning*) basing the 'giants' would need some thought, as the standard 28mm scale bases would present a high wall to 10mm scale models!

*no, I am not planning to do this; I have no time for this; I don't even have an Empire Warmaster army. Just Elves and undead..... and I don't have ogres. And I've just bought some 1mm thick plasticard which would do as bases for the giants -