Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:10:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Variable game length optional rule draft  (Read 1385 times)

Offline JamWarrior

• Librarian
Variable game length optional rule draft
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:32:21 AM »
I've come around to the view that the game having a set end, while not strictly necessary, will probably improve the game by focusing things on treasure hunting and avoiding the last few turns dragging out.  However I'm also not terribly keen on anybody ever knowing for sure that they are on their final turn as this will inevitably colour their decisions.  More uncertainty = more decisions and gambles = more fun.

So I'm proposing this to my game group:

Variable game length optional rules

We looked at the glittering pile of treasure just beyond the ruins to our left, we looked at the band of archers hunkered down in the building to our right, we looked at the ominous snow clouds forming thick and black on the horizon, then we turned our back on it all and headed for the warmth of home.  Gold has little value unless you live to spend it.

The weather in Frostgrave is unpleasantly chilly at best and extremely hostile at worst.  In a moment a blizzard can descend on an otherwise sunny day and all thoughts of treasure and fighting are swiftly forgotten in the rush for shelter and warmth.  These rules are optional, but as they encourage a focus on treasure gathering over fighting, the lowest level wizard in the game should get the deciding vote if there is any disagreement over whether to use them or not.

Starting from the end of turn 5, at the end of every turn roll a dice.  On a 1-10 conditions hold, play another turn as normal. On an 11-20 hostile weather closes in and the battlefield must be abandoned.  Treasure left on the table at game end is lost.  Treasure held by a figure still on the table at game end must be rolled for.  On a 1-10 it is lost as the figure battles through the blizzard for shelter.  On an 11-20 it is successfully recovered by the figure.

This means 50% of games have ended after turn 5.
75% of games have ended after turn 6.
88% of games have ended after turn 7, and so on.

Thoughts?

http://jamsfrostgrave.blogspot.com/2015/08/variable-game-length-rule-proposal.html
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:42:01 AM by JamWarrior »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Variable game length optional rule draft
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:49:29 AM »
That will work fine. Only drawback is you need to keep a count of turns so that you know when to start rolling.

You could also consider making the roll at the start of the turn so players know they have 1 turn left to get treasure off the table (or to try a last ditch attempt to stop the opponent doing so). Any treasure not off the table at the end of that last turn is lost automatically.

Offline Bodvoc

• Librarian
    • The War Crow
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:52:16 AM »
This is quite a good idea, it would definitely work as a one-off scenario, but a random roll to decide the game end also adds an uncertain element to game length. I like this.
'If I throw a 6 I will do my happy dance.

Offline JamWarrior

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:54:26 AM »
Some of the more complex versions of this I'd seen involved tracking the turn number every turn and adding it as a variable to some roll.  I figured counting 5 turns and being done was the best compromise!

Switching the roll to the start of the turn is indeed an easy variation if you want people to have warning.  I think it's best if you've got no idea though.  Risks and rewards.

Offline ducat

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »
A simple varient that also works nicely for multiplayer...

All players roll a d20. If the majority have an odd number then the game ends.

Your version is fine but only one person is "involved" in the dice roll :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:00:51 PM by ducat »