Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:46:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686600
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British Lead Adventure Meet - a short report  (Read 5042 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
British Lead Adventure Meet - a short report
« on: October 30, 2008, 06:47:48 PM »
From the welter of VSF battle images hitting the boards in the past couple of days, astute observers will have deduced that there were a few games played last weekend!

These took place at a British Lead Adventure Meeting (a BLAM!) organised by the indefatigable Malamute, to bring together around 20 LAFers to enjoy a number of games:

- a dazzling Lost World Adventure laid on by JollyBob, Revford and Lowtardog. (Many plastic aquarium plants died to bring us this game... )
- Matakishi’s knock 'em down and drag 'em out Alien Invasion game
- 'Diamond Geezers' run by Overlord and Lowtardog (and yes, the arches and Cowley Road tube station look even better close up)
- a series of VSF Anglo-Prussian encounters around the genteel environs of Kew Gardens, by Bullshott, Malamute, Thunderchicken and the Brigade of Guards (reported elsewhere already... )
- Captain Blood’s cinematic bloody border reiver skirmish
- and Overlord’s fast, furious and brutal Mad Max themed ‘Tanker Pursuit’. (I killed Mel Gibson. yay!)

Some of these were short, sharp encounters which allowed most people to have a turn at them. Others turned into more of a marathon than a sprint!
But the eye candy quotient was universally high in accordance with true Lead Adventure ideals. And all the games were played out in a generous spirit of fun and careless mayhem, with not a single argument or disagreement about rules as far as can be told.

As well as several British LAFers, it was great to meet some of our continental friends who heroically made the trip across for the weekend, including from Deutschland, Driscoles, Grimm, Green Knight and Vikotnik, and from the Scandanavian realms, Argonor and Hammershield. It was nice to finally put faces to names, (and real names to forum names!), as well as to see some beautiful showpiece miniatures the guys brought with them.

Many enjoyable games and quite a lot of beer drinking ensued from Friday afternoon to Sunday lunchtime… ('The Germans are all in the bar!' was heard more than once  lol).

The beer drinking was mainly down to the fact that Malamute had cunningly booked the function room of a pub in Twickenham, South West London, as the venue! (Nice one Nick)

The downside of the venue was that it wasn’t possible to open the invitation to everybody, because the room only just about held the 20 or so people we had. And even that was a bit of a squeeze. So it was, alas, ‘by invitation only’.

That said, Malamute has rashly volunteered to organise a follow up next year, and will review the practicalities of running a slightly bigger event – bearing in mind the need to keep the logistics manageable by one man.
(He is only human, after all. ...Just).
Turning it into a great big convention is definitely not on the cards…

Feedback was that a great time was had by all.
Some people even used the opportunity to trade away unwanted slopes of their lead mountains to other gullible LAFers.
Would you credit it?   ;)

For posterity, JollyBob had a BLAM medal struck, and in the picture below, we can see the assembled lead adventurers posing for the regimental camera wearing their campaign medals…

Standing, left to right: Grimm, pal-of-Revford and Revford (aka the Pratchett brothers), Overlord, Green Knight, JollyBob, Dr. D'Eath, Fastolfrus, Thunderchicken, Vikotnik, Dewbakuk, Driscoles and Lowtardog
Sitting, left to right: Mrs Revford and Mrs Fastolfrus, Young Fastolfrus, Hammershield, Bullshott, the Prince of Darkness himself (Malamute) and Argonor.
Lying down after taking a 3d6 hit from a caliver: Captain Blood
Matakishi and Nigel Molesworth didn't make it into the picture...  :'(

If any participants have any favourite photos (or links out to photos or commentaries on the various games) feel free to post here…

Meanwhile, to whet your appetites, and give a flavour of the games that were played, there is a nice selection of shots over in Grimm's LAF gallery here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=118;u=6

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: British Lead Adventure Meet - a short report
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 07:20:06 PM »

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 07:31:16 PM »
Very nice report mate,

it was an outstanding weekend. I really spent lots of time at the bar. No ofense against the games. They were fantastic. But the beer was tasting great too  :)

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:14:18 PM »
Great report guys and thanks for sharing. It would have been great to be there, alas not to be! Perhaps in a couple of years time.

Chow,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 08:15:06 PM »
Gah, thank you Captain, I had meant to do this the other day but it completely slipped my mind when I got home. Sorry.  :( (I blame The Woman and her constant need for redecorating - think she must drink emulsion!)

Lovely write-up, great weekend, now everyone stop pointing and laughing at my weird pinhead freak photo!

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 08:41:20 PM »
I wish I could have afforded the trip across the pond for this. Maybe next year I can convince the Mrs. that we NEED to go.

And the shot of the choir with Hellboy is priceless!!
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 09:49:41 PM »
Allrighty! Now, I repeat myself, but do another one in the period from October 2009 to Summer 2010 when I´m in Hull for my final year of studies and I promise to come over! :D

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 09:55:36 PM »
Allrighty! Now, I repeat myself, but do another one in the period from October 2009 to Summer 2010 when I´m in Hull for my final year of studies and I promise to come over! :D

I think you're in luck.  :)
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 10:44:47 PM »

We are about 40 miles north of Hull, if you need local(ish) guides give us a shout. There are a few wargames shows in the north of England in the autumn/spring too.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 04:41:47 AM »
Here's mine:
http://www.matakishi.com/news.htm

Man, i dont know what caused me to stop at the medal's page suddenly. :-)

Grimm

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 09:56:36 AM »
Thanks for bringing the photos to us.

I wish I could be there!!! I'm envy of you guys!

It is the only year after 20 years that copuld not be in England at this time of the year! I missed a lot I think.
argsilverson