Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:17:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691087
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave classic miniatures warbands, work in progress  (Read 3720 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Frostgrave classic miniatures warbands, work in progress
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:31:19 PM »
Hi,

In this topic I'll show you my work in progress for my Frostgrave warbands, using only classic metal miniatures from Metal Magic and Ral Partha.  

All of this started a few years ago, when I received a winter female adventurer from Metal Magic. I liked the fact the figure was not another big breast bikini fantasy striper warrior, but a more "realistic" character :

Male figures are also of the same style : "average" shape, but also thin and fat people (where being fat or thin is not something necessary funny), instead of the usual muscle man on steroids.

When I heard about Frostgrave, I immediatly thought about this figure I had, and when I bought the game book I decided to make my warbands mostly only from Metal magic miniatures. Not using the winter characters (since the winter range is only 3 miniatures), but using anything wich may be compatible with my needs.

So I first bought about 20 fighters. I will not use all of them, but they were very cheap, so...I will first base them all, and then I'll make my selection. I still don't know how will be my first warband (or the choice of magic school I'll use...I still have to buy my wizards).

I will probably also use Ral Partha minis I have to lower the costs, since the figures are from the same era (and same scale), with same basing it will work perfectly together.

So here's the first Metal Magic figures I started to prepare (I still have to clean them, they are just glued on plastic bases).

Paladins :

Crossbowman :

Men at arms :

I also like the "historical fantasy" style, very "modern" (according to recent fantasy tv shows, comics, etc...) approach of the fantasy thematic, don't you think ?

Soon I'll post the other figures I still have into plastic blisters.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:01:10 PM by sundayhero »

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
Re: Frostgrave classic miniatures warbands, work in progress
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 03:49:24 AM »

I love these guys! I haven't seen them before, but i love the slightly cartoonish look – they're not realistic, but they do seem very 'human', if you know what I mean. Very characterful. And beautiful paint work on that winter adventurer.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:08:47 AM »
My first warband also ended up being mostly these - Great miniatures, and, as you note as well, nicely varied. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:41:34 AM »
thank you !

I love these guys! I haven't seen them before, but i love the slightly cartoonish look – they're not realistic, but they do seem very 'human', if you know what I mean.

Yes, that's what I wanted to explain too. They are not on steroids, covered by skulls and spikes. Just "average joe" soldiers. I think they may be used for some "heroic" medieval games too, like SAGA or Lion Rampant !

Tonight I'll post the other figures I bought. Then, I'll make my choice for 1st warband.

Offline Bodvoc

• Librarian
    • The War Crow
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 03:14:44 PM »
Those are wonderful figures, full of character, I shall look out for some of those.
'If I throw a 6 I will do my happy dance.

Offline Evil Doctor

• Bookworm
    • Evil Doctor's long-dead lead
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 03:27:21 PM »
Just a note to say that most of the Metal Magic miniatures are available in the UK from Midlam miniatures at very reasonable prices.

http://www.midlamminiatures.co.uk/
Check out my blog - Long-dead Lead!

http://evil-doctor.tumblr.com/

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »
Lovely stuff.  :D

A great choice of figures.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 11:33:59 PM »
Here's the other minis I have. As you can see, good variations with veterans, youngs, skinny and fat, hairy and bold, and everything between. Just like in real life  lol

I also have a cleric with a club, but I'm not sure I will use it.

I also have some ral partha figures wich could be mixed with these (a ranger, a female wizard, etc...), I'll show you this later.

Now I'll see how I will organize my warband, and choose the magic school too.