Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:35:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Slight twist on a common Snow method  (Read 5901 times)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Slight twist on a common Snow method
« on: August 14, 2015, 12:19:50 AM »
Searching here and elsewhere on the net, I found a lot of tutorials for making snow for bases, very useful for Frostgrave obviously.  Knowing LA's love of cheaper alternatives, I thought I'd bring one tip that I didn't see on here to your collective attention.

Most of you probably know the baking soda + PVA for snow paste method, but I didn't see any mention of adding white acrylic paint to the mix like this guy does: http://justthebases.blogspot.com/2011/08/home-made-snow-effect-for-bases.html.  It solves the yellowing issue, so your basing/terrain will never have to be updated. :)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Slight twist on a common Snow method
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 01:00:54 AM »
Personaly I made a few test bases with baking soda mixed with acrylic heavygel and acrylic gloss medium, instead of pva glue. This way the fake snow is "sealed" into acrylic resin, in a way.

A month later, after tryin to put the figure in direct sunlight (summer in south west of france is pretty hot) all day long, placing the figure under direct water (to try to activate some moisture reaction), etc... No yellowing so far.

I don't know how long it usually take for pva glue + baking soda to turn yellow ?

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 07:32:39 AM »
Sorry man, but even my baking snow *with* white paint yellowed over time. So I'd still stay away from baking soda and get this stuff:

http://www.sceneryworkshop.nl/crushed-glass-crystal-clear-powder-50gr-sw-cgcrp.html
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 08:07:11 AM »
I've got a great big plastic container of Noch modeling snow (1 liter), which was cheaper than that one container of glas. But as I've only ever based one mini with it, I'm not sure on how it will hold up on a playing surface.

As for the glass; how much mileage do you get out of the one container? It seems awfully small for use on a whole table (even if it will be just 120x120cm). And I assume the picture on the site you linked to doesn't do the stuff justice?

Also; how abrassive is the final surface? I'm a bit hesitant subjecting my paintjobs (such as they are) to a snowy version of sanding paper.

I wouldn't mind shelling out for a superior product, but not when it'll damage my minis, and be dangerous all the time due to flakes/splinters scraping off. Especially with a little one around the house, with a more than healthy interest in daddy's toys... ::)

So I'm still on the fence in regards to what method and/or material I will be using for both my table, terrain and bases; I prefer using the same method for all of them, to better tie them together.

As it is though, I'm still partial to the Noch stuff with PVA glue, on top of a base layer of sand with a white basecoat...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 08:14:07 AM »
The trick that I learned to prevent yellowing of baking powder was not to add white paint, but a small drop of blue ink... It seems to help a bit but I don't think you can eliminate yellowing of baking powder entirely, I did this with a single figure about five years ago and only recently have parts of the snow started to turn yellow, and it has been in a display cabinet all this time.

While crushed glass doesn't yellow or lose it's shine ever, it has problems of it's own (most having to do with it being an abrasive micro-granulite of tiny razorsharp glass shards that you do not ever want to get in your eyes, lungs/mucus membranes or open wounds, resin powder is a "friendly" substance compared to it).

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 08:47:43 AM »
Crushed glass is a baaaaaaaad solution for tables or scenery, I only use it for bases. For tables and scenery the WS stuff is terrific.
And I love the effect of crushed glass. It's powdery finish is perfect for snow. Check out my frostgrave topic with  my vampire for an example.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 09:05:11 AM »
Some more discussions here, including adding white paint to baking soda.

Whilst the white paint does help, the two reasons the stuff yellows over time are:

1) Air pollution / ambient humidity / dust / physical handling all get absorbed by the baking powder, and this can affect it's colour. Mixing it with glue and paint helps to encapsulate it somewhat, but the stuff is still rather absorbent.

2) The PVA glue yellows over time. You can get UV-resistant glues which help to avoid this, but even they will still yellow a little over time. It's with these glues that the white paint trick is most effective, as it "counteracts" some mild yellowing.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 09:28:24 AM »
Whilst the white paint does help, the two reasons the stuff yellows over time are:

1) Air pollution / ambient humidity / dust / physical handling all get absorbed by the baking powder, and this can affect it's colour. Mixing it with glue and paint helps to encapsulate it somewhat, but the stuff is still rather absorbent.

2) The PVA glue yellows over time. You can get UV-resistant glues which help to avoid this, but even they will still yellow a little over time. It's with these glues that the white paint trick is most effective, as it "counteracts" some mild yellowing.

So what about my solution ? Using acrylic product (medium, heavy gel) to "seal" the baking soda should avoid this behaviour ?

For now, it's working, but since I readed that it may take years to go yellow, I cannot be sure.

I also have the woodland scenics stuff, really great product that I keep for my customers commissions.  But for my own hobby creations, I think I'll try the cheaper way, baking soda+acrylic medium/gel.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 09:29:41 AM »
I have used Caster Sugar, uPVA glue and white acrylic paint.

Mix all three together and apply as a paste.

The caster sugar gives sparkle and although it takes some time to fully set, has lasted me years without discolouring.

Good luck.

Tony

PS.
A tiny (and I mean tiny) drop of pale blue acrylic paint makes the stark white appear a little cooler!

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 09:33:05 AM »
Here is an image of Caster Sugar/uPVA glue/Acrylic paint snow.

Details can be found here;
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2008/08/bugman-command.html

Tony

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 09:37:15 AM »
So what about my solution ? Using acrylic product (medium, heavy gel) to "seal" the baking soda should avoid this behaviour ?

I think it should work for wetter-looking snow. For the more powdery-looking fresh snow, it might not be so effective though.

I have used Caster Sugar, uPVA glue and white acrylic paint.

What a great idea!

Could you use salt instead of sugar to reduce it's attractiveness to insects/mould?

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 09:47:06 AM »
I think it should work for wetter-looking snow. For the more powdery-looking fresh snow, it might not be so effective though.

Yes, you 're right it give a "wet" look. I'll post a pic soon to show you.

To save costs, another solution is using a mix of plaster and pva glue to make volume first stage work, and finally, spread some "expensive" modelling stuff on it (crushed glass or woodland scenics) for final aspect.

On this :

I used this technic (using fine glass powder on top of plaster and pva mix).

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 09:53:52 AM »
"Could you use salt instead of sugar to reduce it's attractiveness to insects/mould?"

Not sure.

I have read/seen that artificial sweetener works, but not sure about salt!

Tony

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 10:32:38 AM »
Thanks for the explanation on the glass stuff; that's exactly what I was suspecting (so it's out ;) )

I've somewhere read about a guy using sparkly silver flakes in his mix of choice; anyone had any luck with that?

Also, I vaguely recall someone mentioning a snow/glitter spray?

+++EDIT+++ Just thought of this; birdcage sand? The stuff I remember was a stark white, with darker (and larger) grains in it, which could be sieved out. Might be worth a check perhaps?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:34:09 AM by Daeothar »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 10:50:55 AM »
I've somewhere read about a guy using sparkly silver flakes in his mix of choice; anyone had any luck with that?

Also, I vaguely recall someone mentioning a snow/glitter spray?
I think that was Harry in his thread.

You can get some sands and some paints that have some mica in them to give them a glittery effect (a bit like metallic paints basically!).

You can also get "white" glitter to add to the mix, and you can even use a light overspray of a pearlescent paint.

Just thought of this; birdcage sand? The stuff I remember was a stark white, with darker (and larger) grains in it, which could be sieved out. Might be worth a check perhaps?
Might be if it's white enough. I'd probably just go with decorative sand which can be plain bright white or have some "glitter" in it.