Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:33:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Advice please, suitable figures for A Midsummer Night's Dream?  (Read 991 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Advice please, suitable figures for A Midsummer Night's Dream?
« on: January 31, 2024, 04:00:30 PM »
Hi all

The Boy is studying this play at school and he's very happy as it's one of his favourites.

He had this idea for an extra credit project, where he could build and photograph a diorama illustrating scenes from the play.

Dad is of course on board with this, and while I can probably scrape up some appropriate fairy figures, and have the Hasslefree Oberon figure (possibly only photographed from behind or stood behind a waist high shrub...) I'd be interested to know of any others that might be out there, especially for rude mechanicals, Bottom in particular, and haughty but beautiful Titania.

Looking at keeping it in period, so I'm guessing ancient Greek civilians should be fairly easy to find for the lovers?

Any advice, pics and links gratefully accepted as he has the bit between his teeth and wants it done NOW.  lol

Offline Bogdanwaz

• Scientist
    • O My Ruritania
Re: Advice please, suitable figures for A Midsummer Night's Dream?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 05:28:50 PM »
There's actually a Bottom figure, with ass' head and all, as part of a set of Pewter Figurines of Shakespearean characters.  There are intended more as decorative collectibles rather that gaming pieces and run bigger than 28mm, about 40-45 mm.  I've used them, especially the Bottom figure in 28mm Elizabethan-themed games without looking too out of place.

Here's one seller:  https://ancestorsgroup.co.uk/figure-box-set-shakespeare/

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 05:33:52 PM »
Oh, you ruddy genius, I think we've actually got that set kicking around somewhere!
Brilliant, thank you very much for the reminder!

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 01:09:08 AM »
Super idea! I hope we'll be seeing the finished work.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 08:29:09 AM »
Back in the early days of the LPL I did a Midsummer Night's Dream entry, using some Foundry figures for my fairy court.  It was one of very few rounds that I actually won that year.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 08:34:20 AM »
That is lovely, Plynkes, and I have looked at some of the Foundry  figures, but I'm not sure the nudity would play well for a school project...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 09:20:47 AM »
Indeed. The cherubs and little goblinny things might do for background pieces though, and I suppose you could go all Sistine Chapel and give everybody Greenstuff fig leaves.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 09:22:47 AM by Plynkes »

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 09:48:26 AM »
Oh, absolutely, and I dimly remembered the LAF entry from years ago and was hoping you would drop by.

There are some of the Foundry figs that would still work, definitely.
The background goblins and sprites, though, are they some if the "rammage" bits you get as extras? I don't see them available separately...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2024, 10:00:31 AM »
Yes, unfortunately that does seem to be the case. It was all so long ago I don't recall if that's the way it was at the time.

It's interesting that this came up, because right now I have the rest of those nudie elf ladies on my painting table. They have been waiting a LONG time to get their paint jobs.  :)

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2024, 10:14:26 AM »
There are some of the Foundry figs that would still work, definitely.
The background goblins and sprites, though, are they some if the "rammage" bits you get as extras? I don't see them available separately...

IIRC, the cherubs came with the Revenant Elves and the sprites etc. with the Nymphs. The rammage with the latter included some interesting scenic bits too e.g. marker stones. Worth asking Foundry about making it separately available again?

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2024, 10:39:36 AM »
You can get the cherubs in blister packs, I know cos I've got them all, but some of the more interesting little pieces seem to only be available as makeweights in other packs.

Since most of the elves are available individually on the website doubt they'd come with any.  :(

I'm off to the York show at the weekend though, might see if they have any packs on the stand, although I'm fairly sure they only bring their historical to shows.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2024, 05:15:56 PM »
This gave me a chuckle...as in high school I was a warhammer nerd.  We had an English class project, and I weasel'ed my way into being allowed to simply paint up two medieval Spanish soldiers I had into a scene from Romeo & Juliet - with a platform made from a Playmobil box with a hand-painted "forced" perspective of Mantua or whatever.

Took me no time at all, and I got max credit for painting two 54mm figures and a box.   lol  It was a crap paintjob, but everyone was amazed...
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!