Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:39:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 836
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vissy - Takes on Frostgrave  (Read 16119 times)

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Vissy - Takes on Frostgrave
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2015, 07:03:35 AM »
Yeah you're right they're old games workshop model plastic wolves from their goblin range, got rid of all my goblins years ago but now wish I'd kept the wolves for frostgrave.

Nice homemade bookcase Helznicht.

Thanks for sharing

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2015, 02:14:07 PM »
l got some more airbrush work done tonight.

Magilla Gorilla is as done as I can be bothered with him since he is a cheap plastic toy. There are mould lines on it I can't really remove without cutting, sanding and green stuffing back in the details so I decided to just give it a light sand a live with it.

Creepy bastard isn't he.

I based him off Snowflake the Albino Silverback Gorilla that past away a few years ago cheeky bastard he was.

The vampire lord also got the same treatment as the rest of my necromancer warband. Basically I'll keep building things this week and get everything to this same level. Built, basic sand and gravel basing then primed and first primary red highlights.

One the warband is all there I'll batch paint each bit string with skulls and faces and so on so I use them danger mixes and get it done quicker to the same standard.

Finally I will do the bases all in one fell swoop along with an random encounter monsters I have finished at that point.

Thats it thanks for checking in as usual I'm off to bed.
What I do: Chef by trade, ass by choice; but I play the following when I'm not being either.
Infinity: Haqqislam is my main and then I own ALL THE THINGS!
Frostgrave: Nec

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2015, 06:06:37 PM »
Have being really struggling with the Frostgrave Soldiers plastics partly because I'm not happy with the same sprue 4 times but mainly because I don't like the heads. While suitably generic and fit the theme overall they don't quite have the mean spirited look of men who would align themselves with a Necromancer for reward.

So I've being searching and searching for something local I could use and I've found heaps of things head swaps and what not even have a nice iron skull mask I could recast like a billion times to get what I want for my soldiers. But then I remembered Victoria Miniatures and I went to look what they might have first thing that popped up was the Penal Guard Heads and I'm like YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Wait I have a set of these already in my bits box its all coming up Vissy tonight. Need to cut out the bodies a bit to make them fit.

The ranged part of the warband with mad eye Mike doing his best to silhouette his mate's.

He might be a little jelly since he can't hit the side of an angry owlbear which kind of explains the eye patch.

The heavy hitters with 3rd scariest man in the band assuming you count the boss as a man still "The Skinner" with his signature shield which is decorative. The mask however is not decorative!

Finally Johnny and his mook mate's. There so busy forgetting their names and places they can't decide if their thugs, thieves or treasure hunters.

No one cares as long as they bring home the goods or take the first volley of arrows.

All in all much much happier now I've still got 3 Sprues left with another 10 bodies on them for use with other warbands or to flesh out the Necromancer if I want but will have to source some new heads to further that aim!

Got allot of green stuffing to go with them tomorrow before some priming and first 3 red highlights to get them to the standard where everyone else is now. wink emoticon
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:48:19 PM by VisOne »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 08:33:48 PM »
Nice touch with the new heads.

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2015, 11:49:00 PM »
Nice touch with the new heads.

Thanks man,

Noticed I screwed my IMG tag on my old post fixed that now.

One thing I forgot to mention I hate models with moulded bases; this was my first time dealing with them and I'm hoping last time.

Anyway at home sick still so might see some more work on these today.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2015, 01:57:00 AM »
Have being really struggling with the Frostgrave Soldiers plastics partly because I'm not happy with the same sprue 4 times but mainly because I don't like the heads. While suitably generic and fit the theme overall they don't quite have the mean spirited look of men who would align themselves with a Necromancer for reward.]

Had the same issue myself, Bob Olley is a great sculptor but his style is a bit cartoony for my taste.  I've been using only a few of the heads from the box and supplying the rest from (mostly) Perry with a few Gripping Beast sprinkled in.  Ideally once my Fireforge order finally gets here I'll use some of those as well.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2015, 03:35:20 AM »
The plastics look great, I really like the heads. I'm like to see some bearded ones too.

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2015, 01:21:54 PM »
All I got done over the last couple of days even though I've being home sick with a lingering boute of food poisoning.

Mainly thanks to how long green stuffing up the gap's took.

Plus I built the last couple of monster's I've had sitting on the desk.

Not sure what I'm going to do with that Outcast: Brute thought he was much much bigger than he is. Not much of a troll now is he.  <_<

Offline Helznicht

• Bookworm
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2015, 11:03:29 PM »
Thought I would post your walls for my version of the Library Vissy, as a final Thanks for the idea.  Pretty happy with it.  Now just to actually make it "underground" with modular caverns around it  (Sigh..) :'(

Woe to those that enter here!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 01:38:57 AM by Helznicht »

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2015, 12:44:42 AM »
Great work mate. :o

Is it a single piece that whole centre section?

I really like those little tower/keeps I will borrow that idea I have something very similar on the works but wanted them to be suitably ruined like my walls.

Offline Helznicht

• Bookworm
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2015, 01:11:12 AM »
Is it a single piece that whole centre section?

I really like those little tower/keeps I will borrow that idea I have something very similar on the works but wanted them to be suitably ruined like my walls.

No, the corners interlock, like a puzzle:

Very modular, I can use them for castle walls also.

The keeps are the $5 Michaels special birdhouses. https://www.michaels.com/artminds-wooden-birdhouse-castle/10449620.html

The small top keeps and bases are just glued in, a little convincing with a hammer gets them apart.  I bought 4, so all I have to do is move the towers to the 4 corners and I have a Keep also.

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2015, 07:03:45 PM »
Well its being a very interesting weekend I did a bit of a marathon painting session late Friday night and as usual got less done than I like and to a poor standard but in the end I got what I wanted to an acceptable level for a trip to the games club on Saturday. Didn't actually have a game of Frostgrave OR Infinity lined up. Had both kids with be but thought what ever better than sitting at home NOT painting and just walking in circles cleaning up after the kids so bags were packed and kids were bundled into the vehicular motor device and to the club we did go.

Delighted to hear a hearty cheer upon my entrance and after good chinwag with all my friends at the club plus some crying from my usually incredibly stoic boy James I was happy to meet Borzag who has just moved back to sunny QLD after some times in the southern wastelands and he had is second warband still BNIB with him so I said lets through some things on the table and for ######s and giggles bash out way through a introduction game.

Now it was easily excluding the many distractions caused by my kids one of the best games I have ever played. It was fun, cinematic and a story is already growing and surrounding both of our warbands that I will tell a little later in my first AAR for now in this post I'll put up some shots of what I got done so far and what I have to add to the warband/minis for the game.

First off my order from Ristuls Market came in and I went straight to work on the best pieces the cursed treasure!

I was able to grab some plunder from the BSS at the club here are some old Marauder Dryads I want to use for demons and what not.

These little Seishins from Maulifaux will make great summoned demons in the forms of Imps!

A shot of the force I decided to use for my first game. More on how that faired later!

The Vampire Lord, Wraith and my Ice Demon all got some more paint on them.

Finally where I'm at with my Wizard and Apprentice I have changed the head on that Necromancer like 5 times and finally went back to the original. I'm going to replace him I have come to loathe the model but for now he is all I have. Still digging the Wright King though sweet sweet model.

Anyway painting I suck at and apparently I'm not much better at playing the game I'll post up my AAR soon!

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2015, 07:04:04 PM »
Right so Borzag and I got our first game in and I guess I better get the boring part out of the way first.

I took the following.

My Wizard has the following spells.

Raise Zombie 8
Bone Dart 8
Drain Life 10
--
Fleet Feet 14
Summon Demon 14
Control Animal 14
--
Push 14
Enchant Weapon 14

While Borzah brought the following.

With these spells.

Summon Demon 12
Imp 10
Leap 8
--
Bone Dart 10
Elemental Shield 12
Control Animal 14
--
Heal 12
Fleet Feet 14
(grr forgot the last spell, will have to grab it later) Yes the much feared grr forgot spell!

ANYYYYYYYWAY!

There was some really telling things between our lists I lack any ranged attackers except my Wizard and Apprentice using Bone Dart and I didn't take Leap as a spell (not sure I can though) which is important as you will learn. Finally when your speccing your level 0 Wizards spells with a casting value of 14 are bad cause you need a 14 or better to cast on a D20 and your ###### apprentice needs a bloody 16 or better so my taking a whole bunch of 14's wasn't a great idea but hey learnings and all that jazz.

Table overview shots.

Side just used my walls because that's what I had on me. P.S. NEED MORE SINKERS IN THEM WALLS! They still move too much but that said most only have 1 in them as I was being cheap and didn't want to add more than I needed too.

Borzags side with his Reaper: Darkhaven warband. You can see James my little boy making off with my tape measure this is why I bring two.

My side with my mixed bag of GW, Frostgrave and Reaper minis plus Hena my little girl being all cute and totally not breaking my man dollies.

FYI this table was still probably too open and we played 12 inch deployment zones not the 9" ones the game asks for its a 4' by 4' board not 3' by 3' so density and ranges might be a little more telling next game but this was meant to be fast hard learning so we rolled with what we had.

Enough of this onto the fun story telling part!

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2015, 07:04:17 PM »

Sitting deep within the crypt that was for lack of a better word his home upon the same stone throne he had for many a year sat was Dr. Bonesplitter the eerie green light that was eyes in the empty sockets of his skull intensified as he thought about the strange horned wizard he had run into earlier in the day. This Demon or lack of a better word had cost him dearly his favourite Warhound was molested so badly by some Beastmen that is must surely have fled Felstad by now. Plus  one of his particularly useful lackies adept at finding his way through tight spaces and into places he wasn't supposed to be would need to be tended to by some sort of healer after barely fending off some Demon hound. Men were easy to come by but sometimes they lacked the right aptitude or scruples he needed and to lose good men irked him as did all things that keep him in the decrepit body he was forced to endure for so long.

This Demon Wizard was a perplexing problem for him for clearly his wasn't of the same calibre of the runtlings that now infested the once great city. He reeked of power a sort of power he was used to when he was still young and Felstad stood strong as a place of great learner and where people like himself could go to further their skills and arts. But when their dualed earlier in the day neither could easily best the other and even their followers seemed to be evenly matched but still this Demon Wizard was a a perplexing problem.

Dr. Bonesplitter wanted so badly to move back to a body of flesh and bone, to best the curses he had be forced to endure and most of all be rid of the geas that kept him so strongly bound to this place never to leave Felstad as long as he remained in the Hero Kings body or so it would seem. Perhaps this Demon Wizard could be of use in finding a way to best one of all of his problems but soo much was unknown about him he needed more information he couldn't approach the Demon not knowing he had a followers enough to meet him easily in battle. He would need a way to gather more intelligence another way.

"GARIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII get in here you sorry excuse for apprentice you are needed."

Gari came slinking through the door seconds later as he was never far from his masters chambers without task.

"Yes Master what do you need?"

"I have need of one of those pesky birds you are so fond of feeding!"

"You wish to hear a song bird sing then master?"

"No you fool I want one of the black ones the ones with silent wings and watchful eyes!"

"Ahh a Raven is what you seek master I will have one of the men lure one and cage it for you."

"Good and while you're about it get my former masters All-See Ball you and I have more to review upon your return with it; there is much that must be learnt from that encounter today most notwithstanding why you are so incapable of doing anything useful in a battle!"

"Masssssster I"

"Be quite fool go have a Raven caught and brought to me and fetch the ball!"

Gari returned some minutess later with the All-See Ball and one of the Dr. Bonesplitters men came down into the chamber with much angered Raven flapping and cawing in a cage.

"You silence that bird!"

"You want that I should kill it boss?"

No I want that you to teach it to do song and dance numbers of course I mean kill it boffin I only pay you for one thing and its to kill things which I can't be bothered killing myself now throttle the bird and begone before I have Gari throttle you!

The man was quick to obey once he understood and cared not for the bites and scratches he took before the bird was lifeless in front of his master.

"Gari watch closely as while your may be adept at reanimating things I am about to show you how to give something purpose beyond their basis needs to cause damage and harm to the living."

Dr. Bonesplitter got up from his throne and walked over to the tomb where the birds carcass lay and began to chanted an incantation familiar to Gari yet different to in tone and with odd tongue his staff began to glow and finally the small skull atop it opened and green gas spilled fourth entering the Ravens now limp form and suffusing it with meaning and a form of life again. The bird flapped stupidly for some minutes trying to right itself before falling off the tomb where it previously lay. Finally being able to fly back to table and settled upon the All-See Ball next to where Dr. Bonesplitter was.

"Bird you know who your master is?"

The bird cawed in ernst and looked deeply into Dr. Bonesplitter's skull.

"Good Gari activate the All-See Ball and have it show what your saw today I need a good shot of the Demon Wizard and his Apprentice."

Gari did as he was told and the All-See Ball skipped from scene to scene of parts of the battle Gari could remember finally all his could recall was there swimming about in the ball for his master to recall at will.

"Good good you saw enough to be of use here and enough for me to educate you in how to be marginally less useless in the future."

Dr. Bonesplitter brought to the fore a image of the Horned Demon Wizard and his Horned Demon Apprentice.

"Bird sear there images into your sight you will go and you will find them you will watch them and report to me all you see!"

The bird cawed and flapped its wings.

"Good now go and find them do not come back until you have something of interest to report!"

Dr. Bonesplitter turned to Gari.

"I will teach you more of what I did today but first let the men who are still able go for the night to their drink and wenches but before they leave let them know I've 10GC for anyone who can find out where that group came from today, either their location now or from what realm they belong for they are not of this world and I wish to know more lots lots more."

With that Gari was a way to pass on his masters missive to the men and to note as much as he could of what his master had done to the Raven. Much he still had to learn from the old creature much he had to know before he could finally be rid of the wretched fools tirades and insults.

Meanwhile Dr. Bonesplitter was busy reviewing the images that abounded in the All-See Ball hearing snippets of the conversations and shouting during the battle between Gari and the men closest to him. Slowly in his mind he caught bits and pieces of what the Demons and Beastmen on the other side of the ruins were yelling two names stood out the most and it took him some time to decipher them or more to the point articulate them into a tongue he knew well.

Damien that was the name of the Demon Wizard he was clearly a Summoner for his apprentice the one they called Daniella brought forth a small Imp like creatures that resemble the minions following this Damien. Interesting why would Demon Summoners be here in Felstad summoning yet more Demons to follow them. Clearly something was afoot and now all Dr. Bonesplitter needed to do was figure out what that was and where he stood to gain or lose from it.

This Damien was he to be a Competitor, a Competitor or a had Dr Bonesplitter found a worthy Nemesis?

Only time would tell and something Dr. Bonesplitter had was time!

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2015, 07:04:42 PM »
So there is a back story building around Dr. Bonesplitter and Lord Damien the summoned Demon who decided his liked this world and the look of the jacket the 'summoner' who summoned him was wearing so much he would stay and bring a few of his friends.

Our adventure will continue the next time Borzag and I meet up and see what happens. Borzag is ahead a little on GC and items but we both leveled from 0 to level 1 last game thanks to some lucky casting so thus far no king making lets see how we go. As for the actual game we played here is a little All-See Ball play by play break down.

My left flank has my Wizard, Knight and a Thief on it my first and treasure is just behind thand 4 block wall to my front. Never got it off the table because Borzag was able to stop me thanks to some good tactical play on his part!

Opposite me is his Wizard, a Warhound, Thief and Thug you can see the treasure nearest him is already in contest in this photo as his Thug grabbed it just before I took that photo. 

My middle has my Apprentice, my Templar and Thief in there with my closest treasure token. This is the only one I got off the board. Forgot that you can take it off Left, Right or Back (my table edge) but not the Opponents so I never tried to take anything to the side silly move on my part.

Opposite is his Knight, a Thug, 2 Archers (Screw them things so hard) and his Apprentice.

Borzag moving his thief up toward me to give me grief!

Note in the image previous how that Thug wasn't 10" back behind his Wizard well that is what mutha F'ing leap does if successfully cast it leaps a model 10" so it's GREAT for getting treasure to the back of field where you activate and move off the table!

Know what else Leaps REAL GOOD Knights! So this fight took a long long long time to finish up.

Meanwhile on the left flank my Thief was eaten by his Warhound, he leaped in his Thief who was inturn eaten by my Vampire I mean Knight and my Wizard exchanged many a Bone Dart and Drain Health with his Wizard until I was running low of health and ducked behind cover. The Knight tried to scuttle off the board with the treasure but was too slow and the game ended.

Here you can see his nasty Beastman molesting my dog for like 3 turns its touched it inappropriately luckily there is no RSPCA in Felstad because if there was the thing would be going to jail!

My Thug tried his best to leg it off with that treasure but Borzags Archers and Apprentice would have none of that and the game ended with him about 1" away from the edge.

End of game saw us with Wizard, Apprentice, 1 Thug and 1 Warhound left on the table EACH! Everything else was either off table with treasure to flat on its arse.

I walked away with 100XP for spells casts, 40GC and a Grimoire for Telekinesis. I lost 1 thief miss next game and 1 Warhound Died.

He walked away with 100XP for spells casts 90GC, a Grimoire for (insert something here) and a Orb of Power. Can't remember his loses 1 miss a game and 1 dead I think as well.

Was a better outcome for him but not by much its a hard game we fubbed some rules but nothing game breaking good fun though!So there is a back story building around Dr. Bonesplitter and Lord Damien the summoned Demon who decided his liked this world and the look of the jacket the 'summoner' who summoned him was wearing so much he would stay and bring a few of his friends.

Our adventure will continue the next time Borzag and I meet up and see what happens. Borzag is ahead a little on GC and items but we both leveled from 0 to level 1 last game thanks to some lucky casting so thus far no king making lets see how we go. As for the actual game we played here is a little All-See Ball play by play break down.

My left flank has my Wizard, Knight and a Thief on it my first and treasure is just behind thand 4 block wall to my front. Never got it off the table because Borzag was able to stop me thanks to some good tactical play on his part!

Opposite me is his Wizard, a Warhound, Thief and Thug you can see the treasure nearest him is already in contest in this photo as his Thug grabbed it just before I took that photo. 

My middle has my Apprentice, my Templar and Thief in there with my closest treasure token. This is the only one I got off the board. Forgot that you can take it off Left, Right or Back (my table edge) but not the Opponents so I never tried to take anything to the side silly move on my part.

Opposite is his Knight, a Thug, 2 Archers (Screw them things so hard) and his Apprentice.

Borzag moving his thief up toward me to give me grief!

Note in the image previous how that Thug wasn't 10" back behind his Wizard well that is what mutha F'ing leap does if successfully cast it leaps a model 10" so it's GREAT for getting treasure to the back of field where you activate and move off the table!

Know what else Leaps REAL GOOD Knights! So this fight took a long long long time to finish up.

Meanwhile on the left flank my Thief was eaten by his Warhound, he leaped in his Thief who was inturn eaten by my Vampire I mean Knight and my Wizard exchanged many a Bone Dart and Drain Health with his Wizard until I was running low of health and ducked behind cover. The Knight tried to scuttle off the board with the treasure but was too slow and the game ended.

Here you can see his nasty Beastman molesting my dog for like 3 turns its touched it inappropriately luckily there is no RSPCA in Felstad because if there was the thing would be going to jail!

My Thug tried his best to leg it off with that treasure but Borzags Archers and Apprentice would have none of that and the game ended with him about 1" away from the edge.

End of game saw us with Wizard, Apprentice, 1 Thug and 1 Warhound left on the table EACH! Everything else was either off table with treasure to flat on its arse.

I walked away with 100XP for spells casts, 40GC and a Grimoire for Telekinesis. I lost 1 thief miss next game and 1 Warhound Died.

He walked away with 100XP for spells casts 90GC, a Grimoire for (insert something here) and a Orb of Power. Can't remember his loses 1 miss a game and 1 dead I think as well.

Was a better outcome for him but not by much its a hard game we fubbed some rules but nothing game breaking good fun though!