Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:31:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Beautiful Frostgrave soldiers conversions (with female heads)  (Read 13003 times)

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
Beautiful Frostgrave soldiers conversions (with female heads)
« on: August 18, 2015, 03:07:45 PM »
Following on from the discussion in the plastic cultists thread (it was somewhat off topic, hence creating a new one!), I figured the best way to get my point across was just to do it! Also people were asking about sizes of the heads, and there was some concern the Statuesque heroic were too big, yet the standard were too small.

I stock loads of types of female heads as part of my shop, so I literally did log off and march to the office to pick up what I needed! Turns out, in my opinion anyway, the Statuesque HEROIC heads were the perfect ones, the others were just a bit too small. The scale of the plastic soldiers is slightly heroic, so the normal sized heads got a little lost, and seemed smaller than the feet! There was a photo floating around of somebodies work in progress but I think it may have been the angle or the way he attached the heads which made them look bigger.

So the choices are Crackin' Hairdos and Bald. I went for bald as I wanted to try my hand at some sculpting, but also make larger poofy hair, a bit more frozen city (the crackin hairdo pack is ace, but very neatly styled, I wanted a bit more..wildling)

The Frostgrave bodies come with the dent by the neck, and the heads come with necks.. a good start! I just clipped them off but then filed with a slant going up the back of the skull, so that the head would not be looking/tilted down when glued on. They just glued on with no need for greenstuff, just superglue. Once dry, I went to work on the hair. I don't have much sculpting experience (except the Chaos Gnomes http://thedicebaglady.net/chaos-gnomes/ , but they are larger and cartoony!)

I just blobbed it over the skull roughly where I wanted hair to be, then used basically a big needle to drag the hair grooves. Constantly dampening it. They're not the best darn hair sculpts in the world, but I am pretty pleased with how they came out!

Then just a case of painting them!

My argument in the other thread was that male or female is pretty moot under that many layers, and that the hourglass shape we associate with women is mostly down to clothing style. As I realised while painting them, due to all the trinkets and belts on these figures, even that requirement (of some people, not all), is met, as they are pulled in at the waist, and flared out with long tunics. I genuinely think they look ace, and as if they were bought like that (rather than dodgy conversions). For plastic kits out there, this is by far the best one for whacking female heads on.

Short plug - you can get all the Frostgrave official stuffs including the troops from my store, but also the female heads, and the funky basing materials there.
http://thedicebaglady.net/frostgrave/

Let me know what you think, yeah there are just 5, but I was initially only going to make two and got carried away.  :D

Cheers
Annie
The Dice Bag Lady/Bad Squiddo Games

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Beautiful Frostgrave soldiers conversions (with female heads)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 03:16:26 PM »
Very nice - the sculpted hair works very well. And the bodies work well too.  8) 8) 8)

Offline ducat

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 03:21:09 PM »
Look great. Mildly Off Topic but will you have stuff for Frostgrave available at Derby in October?

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 03:21:27 PM »
They're really rather good. I'd be pleased with the hair sculpting if they were mine. Nice work all round.

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 03:23:12 PM »
Look great. Mildly Off Topic but will you have stuff for Frostgrave available at Derby in October?

I sure will, and extra SAGA!  :D

Cheers!

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 03:25:47 PM »
They look great. I may have to  invest in another box of soldiers at some point. :) After I've painted the first box that is. Plus the various bits of undead. Plus the constructs. Plus the frost giant...

Offline ducat

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 03:27:55 PM »
I sure will, and extra SAGA!

I will make sure I pop along then between my Saga games to say Hi and make a few purchases. I was going to say hi at Salute but everytime I got near your stall you were knee deep in punters :)

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 04:20:18 PM »
Magnificent.
The one with the greatsword is not really working for me ... but the others are all spot on.
Great stuff.

Offline Dr. Kevin Moon III esq.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 04:23:04 PM »
They look terrific.

Offline wrinklestiltskin

• Bookworm
  • sexy beast
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »
I think they look better as women than they do as men.
Really a nice job!

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 04:41:53 PM »
Really nicely done, love the way these turned out.  :)

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »
Thanks all!

I really like how her face and hair combination turned out.

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 04:55:16 PM »
Ain't she missing some glasses? lol
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline ImhotepMagi

• Librarian
    • Deep Dark Dungeons-A hobby blog
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 04:57:08 PM »
Pretty sure the one on the far left thinks none of us know anything.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:54:02 AM by ImhotepMagi »

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 06:00:10 PM »
I wouldn't have thought this would work convincingly but you pulled it off with flying colours.  I was surprised just how much of the "mannish" identity of the figs is communicated by their clunky heads.  The turnover works because the winter gear should disguise/disrupt the viewer's "gender mapping".  Modern body armour breaks the profile so the best indicator is usually the hips to identify gender at distance so your models are very convincing.  The only thing that breaks the illusion might be the meaty "man hands" but for the most part this can be explained away by the heavy gloves most are wearing.

The sculpts you did for the hair are quite good.  I really like the front view as the hairlines look feminine; I never get this right right as a bald man and terrible model :).  Great painting, very vibrant but I particularly like the skin tone you achieved on the fig you you closed up on.