Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:53:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Fantastic SAGA  (Read 40031 times)

Offline MikeH

• Bookworm
Re: A Fantastic SAGA
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 07:26:29 PM »

Maybe it is a bit too much philosophy/politics for an introduction. On the other hand, I dont like the thought of not saying these things because they could be "uncomfortable". Know what I mean?

that's what designers notes are for (in my view anyway) once you've written the rules its a nice idea to sit down and describe what you were trying to do and why you came to certain decisions

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 08:45:35 PM »

Ah, well.
What is done, is done.
I am pretty sure most people interpret it as positive as it was meant.
I think we can leave it at that.  ;)

The important question is: Did you give it a try yet? :D

Fanmade and completely free fantasy rules for SAGA:
www.a-fantastic-saga.com

11 factions!
Undead, Dwarves, Barbarians, Elves, Dark Elves, Orcs, Troglodytes, Archaeans, Goblins, Empire, Beastmen

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 05:04:58 AM »
Attention!

I noticed mistakes that must have happened while putting the PDF together.

The ability "The Horde" on the Undead Battleboard is actually meant for Ghouls, Zombies & Skeletons.
(Which is quite important, since it works best with the skeletons.)

The ability "Favored By The Gods" on the Wild Tribes Battleboard is obviously not meant for the Chieftain. Only for the Chosen.

So long!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:11:33 AM by Barbarus »

Offline evilsam

• Student
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 01:19:52 PM »
This looks great, thanks for doing this! I'm thinking about showing this to my local group of gamers.
I was looking over the different spell boards in the army lists and couldn't find the fatigue costs associated with casting the spells.
Am I looking in the wrong place or are these missing from the pdf?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:14:46 PM by evilsam »

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 02:11:57 PM »
I've had a look at it and I couldn't see any unit sizes anywhere. Not being familiar with SAGA these might be explained elsewhere, it just got me confused that's all. What plans do you have for other races/armies?

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 05:37:37 PM »
Hey there!

Unit sizes arent really a topic in Saga, since you buy points for your warband and for each of them you get a fixed number of models.
For 1 point you get either 4 elite warriors or 8 standard warriors or 12 levies/bad warriors :D

When deploying models for the match you can make units of any number of models between 4 and 12.
And of course you cannot mix unit types.

We got quite a lot of factions planned, we are currently working on Orcs and Dark Elves and Goblins.

So... by now the list looks like this:

(the ones we got)
Dwarves
Elves
Undead
Wild Tribes/Barbarians/Chaos

(next to come)
Orcs
"Dark Elves" (will have an original name and original story, but will essentially be "evil Elves")
Goblins
Beastmen (will be based on creatures from Greek mythology)
Pseudo-Greeks (one of the human factions, based on ancient Greek mythology)
Pseduo-Romans (as above, but Roman version)
Pseudo-Celts (as above, Celtic version)
"Lizardmen" (will be Ophidians in our setting, snake-men. Rules will fit "Lizardmen" well)
"Skaven" (will also have an original name and original background, but you can easily understand them as Skaven)

So, yeah, thats the plan! :D

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 02:18:19 PM »
Alright! So we all had some time to play and learn, and I noticed some mistakes and people brought some others to my attention...
We will have a new, revised version of the PDF online in a few days, but I thought I should mention those things anyway...

So, we got:

-Undead Battleboard. "The Horde" can be used with Ghouls, Zombies & Skeletons.
-Wild Tribes Battleboard. "Favored By The Gods" obviously cannot be used by the Chieftain.
-Undead Faction Rules: Skeletons with bows have an armour of 3 in melee.
-Elves Battleboard. The Activation Pool can only be used with a [6].

Alright, guys... as I said...new revised version will be online in a few days. Also a Spanish and German version of the rules.
Stay tuned, have fun!

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 03:45:22 PM »
It sounds really interesting to me. I have many friends playing saga, I tried it and kinda like it: funny and fast. But, historical is ok to me but fantasy is my real love. I downloaded the rules, I'll try them gladly  :D
Please, keep going and sharing!

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 04:13:43 PM »

Thank you, Faber!

Really glad to hear that!

And yes, we keep going :D
Last few weeks we have been doing the playtesting for the Orcs... and Dark Elves and Goblins are also ready to be tested now.

Gonna be a lot of fun! Especially those factions I just mentioned, they all have very unique rules and mechanisms on their battleboards.

So long!
Barb

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2015, 06:35:59 PM »
Well, I've still only managed a few games of Saga proper, and I don't really play much pure fantasy (orcs, dwarves etc). But I have to say I am full of admiration for your graphic design skills - the artwork and layout looks awesome from start to finish, so very well done on that, and looking forward to seeing more :)

If you ever feel like producing home-grown supplements for Saga historical, I've been waiting a verrrrry long time for Arthurians and Germanic migrant tribes. Apparently they are still promised by Studio Tomahawk, but still no date yet...

That said, one question... Given that 'Saga' (the rule-set) is a branded property, are you quite sure you're on firm ground with regard to copyright infringement etc?

Obviously there have been many, many homemade factions and battleboards created and touted around since Saga began. But none quite so professionally done as these...

Is it only an infringement of copyright if you try to sell your supplements? (Otherwise it's just a spectacularly well-put together tribute act?)

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »
Germanic tribes and Arthurian? Hm. Yeah. That could be interesting.
Lately I was thinking about a Saga-adaptation for very early human tribal warfare.
Maybe early North-American Indian warfare. Or something like Proto-European tribes...

Is it only an infringement of copyright if you try to sell your supplements? (Otherwise it's just a spectacularly well-put together tribute act?)

Exactly. We dont sell anything, therefore it is all fine. Besides, I have the right contacts anyway and AFS is approved and welcomed by those whose copyrights come into play here.  ;)

Oh, and thank you!  :D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 07:31:13 PM by Barbarus »

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 07:57:20 PM »
Is it only an infringement of copyright if you try to sell your supplements?

In UK law (Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, heavily amended recently), it is an infringement to make copies, issue copies to the public, adapt a copyright work and copy and/or issue copies of that adaptation without the agreement of the rights holder, whether or not any payment is involved, except for certain exemptions (eg review, making an accessible copy for the personal use of someone with a disability, or the technical act of making a temporary copy on your computer whenever you read something on the internet).  

Rights holders can, of course, agree that someone can adapt, take and issue copies, and apply whatever conditions they want to that agreement (such as, "on condition that you don't charge anything"), which is, I assume from Barbarus's post, what has happened here.  But please don't let anyone think that, "We don't sell anything, therefore it is all fine," is true as a general statement of the law - you could get yourself into trouble that way.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 08:30:02 PM »
Thanks Steve.

The added factor here is that as a German-registered entity, the forum is governed by German copyright law, which - whilst I am sure also pays attention to the Berne Convention etc - I believe has some different and perhaps more stringent facets, than UK copyright law.
In short, there could be penalties for the forum if we are found to be in any way promoting or giving exposure to a product which infringes someone else's IPR. So we do need to be careful.

However, since I see that Barbarus is also in Germany, and has said he has the necessary agreements, we shall leave it there :)

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 08:50:30 PM »
in any way promoting or giving exposure to a product which infringes someone else's IPR

Oh, well.  There goes half the forum ...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2015, 08:52:29 PM »
Yep. That's why we need to be careful...  :)