Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Official John Carter Miniatures line  (Read 22849 times)

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
Official John Carter Miniatures line
« on: August 19, 2015, 12:52:22 PM »

Hi there check out www.modiphius.com/john-carter you'll see news of an official miniatures line for John Carter that will be released next year (along with a roleplaying game)

What would you like to see in the minis line?

www.modiphius.com
Achtung! Cthulhu - Terrifying WW2 Roleplaying Setting
ONE WAR - New miniatures system for Achtung! Cthulhu

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Re: Official John Carter Miniatures line
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:48:03 PM »
Maybe John Carter and Martians????
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 03:01:16 PM »
Like I wrote elsewhere John Carter has been in the public domain for a while afaik and therefore the line might not be officially officialized.

And Bronze Age, Partook station and this other guy already make lovely JC figures...
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 03:25:20 PM »
Edgar Rice Burroughs died in 1950, so his works will be copyright in the EU until 2020.

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 03:37:06 PM »
Like I wrote elsewhere John Carter has been in the public domain for a while afaik and therefore the line might not be officially officialized.

And Bronze Age, Partook station and this other guy already make lovely JC figures...

Well if you want to use the name John Carter, Warlord of Mars or any of the other various IP protected trademarks, names etc then yes you do need to be official. We have a license from the Edgar Rice Burroughs Estate to produce the games.

It's why Disney had to get the rights to make the movie from the ERB estate. These estates, like the Conan estate help keep these worlds in print in their authentic forms by securing publishing deals with major companies, by controlling licensing so you don't get poor quality products or abuse of the brand so it ends up in a form you don't recognise.

Whilst the books may be freely available online in some places, often the only reason they're in book stores is because these estates ensure a reputable publisher is producing the books to ensure a new generation discovers them.

As has been pointed out public domain works differently across the world - in the EU at least they're still copyright.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »
28mm as opposed to something more epic. I'd also like to see rank and file types with some variety in gear and poses.

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 05:15:32 PM »
28mm as opposed to something more epic. I'd also like to see rank and file types with some variety in gear and poses.
Yeah I second that, if it's 32, 35, or any of that nonsense I'm out.
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 05:22:51 PM »
I'd like to see one of these bad boys (Apt):

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 08:06:57 PM »
Thirding the call for 28mm  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 08:52:35 PM »
Been over a year since this was first announced, I thought it had disappeared.

Will be great to see it come to life, especially as a skirmish scale, miniatures based semi rpg rather than full on pen & paper game. On which point another vote here for true proportion 28mm miniatures, none of the "heroic scale" crap.

Plenty of pose variants or multipart figures for the supporting cast types and packs of weapons and equipment for DIY conversions.

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 09:02:26 PM »
I'd like some Martian civilians (red and green) - including females of both races, in addition to the normal troop style figures.  Some grey Martians.  Calots and other types of creatures.

Also a 28mm fan.

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 09:12:44 PM »
Been over a year since this was first announced, I thought it had disappeared.

Will be great to see it come to life, especially as a skirmish scale, miniatures based semi rpg rather than full on pen & paper game. On which point another vote here for true proportion 28mm miniatures, none of the "heroic scale" crap.

Plenty of pose variants or multipart figures for the supporting cast types and packs of weapons and equipment for DIY conversions.

Actually only a few months - time goes fast! It will actually be a full RPG as well as a minis game, and boardgame.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 09:36:43 PM »
28mm of course - these odd scales produced lately make using the new lines with your existing collections obsolete -a big mistake I think. You want folk who aren't interested in using them for "John Carter" games to be able to use them in their own games.

Believable looking Tharks. Maybe a changeable upper body so their armaments and poses could be varied.

A certain look to the weapons that says "alien and ancient", but not too weird, especially the radium rifles and pistols. I think the musket type look gets the feel right for the guns.

And as said above varied poses for the normal troops.

There is mention of take to the skies in the beautiful ships of the Helium Navy - do you intend on doing the ships!?!?

Board game sounds really interesting too.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 09:52:33 PM »
We're hoping we can do some ships for the miniatures game, possibly in a laser cut hdf or resin (or combination) due to the scale. Certainly with the RPG tiles there will be tiles of ships which you can orchestrate running battles across your tabletop without needing any terrain!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 10:46:21 PM »
We're hoping we can do some ships for the miniatures game, possibly in a laser cut hdf or resin (or combination) due to the scale. Certainly with the RPG tiles there will be tiles of ships which you can orchestrate running battles across your tabletop without needing any terrain!

Laser cut ships would be very cool, with resin bits like "swivel guns" and the helm etc.  :)

What is modiphius' take on the red martians?

Are we talking just red skinned humans? Surely not with their "tackle out"?  :o What would they be dressed in then, and what would be the style?

Personally I could see an ancient Grecian look to their helms, armor and sparse clothing.

What do others think on the look of the red martians?